Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Re: GOP - Setting the ethics bar

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar
    So here's the new theory from the left... if a Republican sells stocks that devalue afterwards, there's insider trading going on. C'mon Dragon, you can do better than that. I suppose Republicans that win at roulette know where the ball's gonna land, eh?
    Gimme a break Dutch.....there's a whole lot more goin on here than that...did yo read the article? I doubt it cuz I know you don't bother reading jr's posts but if you did then maybe you would know what I was talking about.....family cronyism, history of defending why he kept the stocks vs. all of a sudden dumping them before the stock tanks....Bueller?

I don't have to prove anything.....not my job.....looks awfully shady though, if u ask me.

And no, it has nothing to do with repub vs. dem......if a dem were in this situation it'd be the same story from me.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24
    Gimme a break Dutch.....there's a whole lot more goin on here than that...did yo read the article? I doubt it cuz I know you don't bother reading jr's posts but if you did then maybe you would know what I was talking about.....family cronyism, history of defending why he kept the stocks vs. all of a sudden dumping them before the stock tanks....Bueller?

I don't have to prove anything.....not my job.....looks awfully shady though, if u ask me.

And no, it has nothing to do with repub vs. dem......if a dem were in this situation it'd be the same story from me.
    Equating a game of chance to possible insider trading is not a equivalent comparison. Let's see if Frist gets the same scrutiny and level of investigation as Martha Stewart. I doubt it.
    George W. Bush <--- Al Qaeda's #1 Recruiter

GWB - "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!"
    On Nov. 6, 1963, Laura Welch (now Bush) ran a stop sign and murdered Michael Douglas.
    republiKan values: mark foley, tom delay, jack abramoff, john rowland, duke cunningham, david safavian, bob taft, brent wilkes, james tobin, scooter libby and ernie fletcher. Poster CRIMINALS and PEDOPHILES of the repug party.
    The only two things you ever need to know about GWB:
    "The most important thing is for us to find Osama Bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - George W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where he is. I have no idea, and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - George W. Bush, 3/13/02

What I did read was that the stock dropped 9% a month later... hardly "tanking". And he sold them a month before the price fell, hardly what's viewed as "suddenly dumping". And that its "in the family". So are some of my stocks, so what? No, I didn't read more than what was shown here.

Not political? Maybe your viewpoint isn't, but jr's certainly is. Notice the thread title.

Just more of the same.

And jr., if you think the stockmarket is much different than a game of roulette, just keep those shades on and stay out of the market.

The far left Mantra strikes again:

With no ideas of their own to offer up they stick with this. "History began with his

presidency, apparently, and anything bad that happens anywhere on Earth can be laid at his

feet"
    . The minority party, becoming more minority day by day. Keep up the good work guys!!

Rinse, wash, repeat.

When you post this, what exactly do you mean?

To me, it means that u think we are blaming hurricanes on GWB.

I mean, is it not that obvious? If you truly believe that we as a political group blame Bush everything bad that happens on the earth......come on guys.

And the post was not directed solely at you Scooter....I've seen it from other conservatives around here too....u just got quoted this time.....sorry to single u out...wasn't meant to be that way

Comon BD24, that obvious bit-o-sarcasm I have been pasting about is your evidence??
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter
    Comon BD24, that obvious bit-o-sarcasm I have been pasting about is your evidence??
    Its only at least the third time you posted it.....seoncd in this thread....excuse me for not thinking you really believed it.....I hear it so much now I can only assume you really believe it.

Ties with the current administration?
    Tyco Exec: Abramoff Claimed Ties to Administration
    Republican lobbyist Jack Abramoff bragged two years ago that he was in contact with White House political aide Karl Rove on behalf of a large, Bermuda-based corporation that wanted to avoid incurring some taxes and continue receiving federal contracts, according to a written statement by President Bush's nominee to be deputy attorney general.

Timothy E. Flanigan, general counsel for conglomerate Tyco International Ltd., said in a statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee last week that Abramoff's lobbying firm initially boasted that Abramoff could help Tyco fend off a special liability tax because he "had good relationships with members of Congress," including House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Tex.).

Abramoff later said "he had contact with Mr. Karl Rove" about the issue, according to the statement by Flanigan, who oversaw Tyco's dealings with Abramoff and his firm and received reports from Abramoff about progress in the lobbying campaign. Flanigan's statement is the latest indication that Abramoff promoted himself as having ready access to senior officials in the Bush administration.

A White House spokeswoman, Erin Healy, said Rove "has no recollection" of being contacted by Abramoff about Tyco's concerns.

Abramoff was indicted last month on unrelated wire fraud and conspiracy charges and has lost his high-stakes lobbying clients. He was hired in 2003 by Tyco when the company was in turmoil. Abramoff's firm, Greenberg Traurig, promoted him as Tyco's savior on the tax issue, according to Flanigan's statement and others familiar with the process.

Tyco -- whose executive L. Dennis Kozlowski had just departed under an ethics cloud -- was worried that the Bush administration might embrace legislation promoted by Democrats that would impose higher taxes on domestic-centered companies that had moved offshore to cut their tax bills. The legislation was motivated by popular anger over such offshore moves, and carried the additional penalty of barring such firms from receiving federal contracts.

Lobbying disclosure statements filed by Abramoff listing his work for Tyco cite the "Executive Office of the President" as one of his lobbying targets on the tax and contracts issues. Others were the Department of Commerce, the General Services Administration and Congress. Greenberg Traurig records submitted to Tyco describe specific contacts with the White House legislative office, a source familiar with the matter said yesterday.

Rove's personal assistant at the time, Susan Ralston, formerly worked as Abramoff's secretary. It could not be learned yesterday whether she was among those contacted by any of the 14-person Greenberg team recorded as working on the Tyco account.

The Bush administration was never enthusiastic about the tax penalty, but both the House and Senate approved language in 2002 denying federal contracts to companies largely based in the United States but incorporated in tax havens.

Tyco was among a raft of companies, including Ingersoll-Rand and Noble Corp., that hired an army of lobbyists to stall the legislation and ultimately kill most of it. House Republican leaders argued that corporate flight was merely a symptom of a much broader problem with the U.S. tax code that should be treated in a larger tax reform package.

Abramoff remains the focus of a lengthy investigation by a task force led by prosecutors at the Justice Department and including investigators at the Internal Revenue Service, the Interior Department and General Services Administration. The probe was initially focused on whether he bilked Native American tribes that paid him tens of millions of dollars in lobbying and other fees, but has since widened to include other matters.

Flanigan, who is still at Tyco while awaiting a committee vote on his nomination, said in his Sept. 15 written statement that he would "consult with DOJ ethics officials . . . and apply normal recusal standards" about the Justice Department's investigation of Abramoff.

Flanigan said he would recuse himself from any Abramoff investigation involving Tyco. Portions of his statement were first reported in the Los Angeles Times.

The ties between Tyco and Greenberg Traurig have already been investigated by a special counsel appointed by Greenberg to examine Abramoff's activities at the firm. According to knowledgeable sources and Flanigan's written statement, Greenberg has promised to repay three-quarters of a $2 million fee that Tyco paid, at Abramoff's direction, to a firm called Grassroots Interactive.

The fee was supposed to finance a letter-writing campaign by Tyco suppliers against the offshore tax bill, but Greenberg concluded that $1.5 million of it was "diverted to entities controlled by Mr. Abramoff" and misspent, according to Flanigan's statement.

Andrew Blum, a spokesman for Abramoff's law firm, declined to comment, as did Jill Perry, a spokeswoman for Greenberg Traurig.
    Card houses, no matter how well built will eventually be blown down.

On Nov. 6, 1963, Laura Welch (now Bush) ran a stop sign and murdered Michael Douglas.
    republiKan values: mark foley, tom delay, jack abramoff, john rowland, duke cunningham, david safavian, bob taft, brent wilkes, james tobin, scooter libby and ernie fletcher. Poster CRIMINALS and PEDOPHILES of the repug party.
    "The most important thing is for us to find Osama Bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - George W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where he is. I have no idea, and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - George W. Bush, 3/13/02

its so funny how the dems don't even stand a chance in a debate over ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugalaman
    its so funny how the dems don't even stand a chance in a debate over ethics.
    Its funny how you never have anything useful to say.....your ignorance is only overwhelmed by your arrogance.

Ouch, Frist must be scrambling now, his one tie-breaking vote just recused himself:

SEC Chairman Withdraws From Frist Probe
    Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Christopher Cox recused himself today from the agency's investigation of stock sales by Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) to avert what he called "any appearance of impropriety."

Cox, a former California lawmaker who served for nearly a decade as a member of the House Republican leadership before joining the agency last month, cited personal connections to Frist in a prepared statement explaining his decision to step aside from deliberations about the probe.

Cox had donated $1,000 to Frist's reelection bid in 2000 through his own campaign fund, according to records compiled by the Federal Election Commission.

The recusal means that Cox will be barred from briefings about the substance of the SEC staff's investigation. Instead, the agency's four other commissioners, evenly split between Democrats and Republicans, ultimately would vote on whether to accept or reject the enforcement unit's recommendation on whether to bring a case.

Frist and Nashville, Tenn.-based HCA Inc. disclosed last week that they had been contacted by the SEC and the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York about the senator's decision to sell stock in the nation's largest hospital chain. The sale occurred in advance of a warning that the earnings had weakened. Frist held the stock in a blind trust, whose holdings have been valued at between $7 million and $25 million, according to his financial disclosure statement earlier this year.

Frist has denied wrongdoing in connection with the stock sales. Both he and HCA, which was founded in 1968 by his father and brother, have said they are cooperating with the investigation.

In a statement last week, Frist's office said he had "no information about the company or its performance not available to the public when he directed the trustees to sell the HCA stock."

Selling stock based on inside information violates securities laws.

Megan Gaffney, a spokeswoman for U.S. Attorney Michael J. Garcia, said as a matter of policy the government would not confirm or deny it was investigating the Frist stock sales. SEC spokesman John Nester also declined comment.

Steven R. Peikin, a former federal prosecutor in the securities fraud unit in Manhattan, said it was "somewhat unusual" for criminal authorities to surface so early in an insider trading investigation.

Typically, Peikin said, prosecutors prefer to sit back and watch as witnesses provide testimony under oath in SEC proceedings before signaling their interest in a case.

"Here, I speculate what's at work is the Southern District of New York . . . marking out their territory" to avoid a possible turf battle down the road with other U.S. attorney offices, he said.
    Wow, so both republican majority leaders in the news for alleged illegal improprieties. I'm sure Frist and De-Lay will look good in their bright orange jumpers. Group photo anyone?

Not for nothing but that whats Cox is supposed to do. And something else here...just because the word republican and stock sale are in the same sentence dont mean no crime has been committed. Using the word sentence and democrat in the same passage well thats another story altogether if you get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by "Junior" Gotti
    Not for nothing but that whats Cox is supposed to do. And something else here...just because the word republican and stock sale are in the same sentence dont mean no crime has been committed. Using the word sentence and democrat in the same passage well thats another story altogether if you get my drift.
    Welcome to PCPER and TLR!!!

No problem. Good to be outta jail. Ill tell yous guys who the crooks are anytime.

Frist's Blind Trust must have had lasik...because it sure wasn't blind:

Documents: Frist knew contents of blind trust

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Blind trusts are designed to keep an arm's-length distance between federal officials and their investments, to avoid conflicts of interest. But documents show that Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist knew quite a bit about his accounts from nearly two dozen letters from the trust administrators.

Frist, R-Tennessee, received regular updates of transfers of assets to his blind trusts and sales of assets. He also was able to initiate a stock sale of a hospital chain founded by his family with perfect timing. Shortly after the sale this summer, the stock price dived.
    Another political problem for Frist: His own statements suggest he had no knowledge of his blind trust investments.

Asked in a television interview in January 2003 whether he should sell his HCA stock, responded, "Well, I think really for our viewers it should be understood that I put this into a blind trust. So as far as I know, I own no HCA stock"

Frist, referring to his trust and those of his family, also said in the interview, "I have no control. It is illegal right now for me to know what the composition of those trusts are. So I have no idea."

Stevenson, the Frist spokesman, said there limited instances "where federal law and Senate ethics regulations call for the disclosure of certain transactions or events to the Ethics Committee and to Senator Frist as the trust's owner.

"Except in these very limited instances, Senator Frist does not receive information related to the disposition of his assets under the control of the trustee."

Frist sold the HCA stock at a time when insiders in the company also were selling off shares worth $112 million from January through June of this year. Aides to the senator said he acted to avoid a conflict of interest, and that he had no information about the company that wasn't available to the public.
    So, which is it? did he KNOW he had those shares and then acted on inside information "to avoid a conflict of interest" (or sell them before the public announcement) or did he not KNOW he had those shares and his Aides were just to stupid to respond correctly. Acting to "avoid a conflict of interest" means that you are violating the covenants of a blind trust because you KNOW what's in the trust AND giving an order to sell. Doesn't sound too good for senor frist.

Quote Originally Posted by "Junior" Gotti
    No problem. Good to be outta jail. Ill tell yous guys who the crooks are anytime.
    Mr. Gotti or can I take the liberty of calling you Junior?

There’s one thing I’ve been dying to know is that Hillary Clinton dame legit? All of that Whitewater stuff didn’t look to kosher to me and how about that Vince Foster guy.

btw… Do you dabble in land deals and assisted suicide?

Junior works for me kid. Just no "horses head" jokes...Ive been in prison and thats a sore area.

I dont wanta get into a lot of detail cause this just about republican crooks and if Matt Drudge was too much of a wussy to get involved then something stinks.
    Vin Foster a suicide? Yeah thats a good one. And Hoffa just got beamed up by some spaceship. Suicide. The guy was whacked and shot in the mouth to make it look good. Professional...not that Im an expert if ya know what I mean.
    I guess we know why Hillary is so fond of "independant" investigations...nice and cozy to pick a guy like Fiske.
    Last edited by "Junior" Gotti; 09-26-2005 at 07:59 PM.
    "If you'd come to me in friendship, then this scum that ruined your daughter would be suffering this very day. And if by chance an honest man like yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies. And then they would fear you"
    "A kid comes up to me in a white jacket, gives me a Ritz cracker and chopped liver, he says 'Canapes,' I say, 'Can o' peas my ass:! That's a Ritz cracker and chopped liver.'"