Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Re: GOP - Setting the ethics bar

Frist on Stock Sale

Frist on Stock Sale
    By: krempasky · Section: GOP

I only know a little about the law. I know even less about securities law. (Paging Professor Bainbridge!) That said - here's Senator Bill Frist's statement on the HCA stock sale from yesterday. To a layman like myself - initiating this process in April (a provable claim) seems to eliminate much of the chatter about Frist's fitness to serve.

STATEMENT BY SENATE MAJORITY LEADER BILL FRIST

WASHINGTON, D.C. –U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN) today made the following statement:

“When I first ran for the Senate over 10 years ago, I made a commitment to the people of Tennessee that if elected, I would serve them to the best of my ability and uphold the highest ethical standards. I have tried to go above and beyond anything required by the Senate rules or the law.

“Now some questions have arisen, so let me tell you what I know and what I did.

“When deciding how to handle my family’s personal investments, I always sought expert advice and Senate Ethics Committee review and approval. Despite not being required to do so, I sought and obtained two Ethics Committee opinions acknowledging that my ownership of HCA stock complied with Senate rules and did not present a conflict of interest with my Senate duties. Despite not being required to do so, I later chose to place many of my investments in blind trusts, including my HCA stock. With these efforts, I have sought to guarantee that no conflict of interest existed. Review after review has found nothing wrong. Nevertheless, the complaints and questions have persisted.

“Because of these continuing questions, and looking ahead at my final years in the Senate and what might come next, I have for some time wanted to eliminate even the possibility of an appearance of a conflict by totally divesting of any HCA stock in my family’s trusts.

“In April, I asked my staff to determine if Senate rules and relevant laws would allow me to direct the trustees to sell any remaining HCA stock. After my staff reviewed relevant statutes and Senate rules and consulted with outside counsel and Senate Ethics Committee staff, I learned that the rules allowed me to direct the trustees to sell any remaining HCA stock in my blind trusts.

“In May, my staff worked with outside counsel and the Senate Ethics Committee staff to draft a written communication to the trustees. After obtaining pre-approval by mid-June from the Senate Ethics Committee, I issued a letter directing my trustees to sell any remaining HCA stock in my family’s trusts.

“Now I am being asked to explain this decision. I understand that. And I welcome it.

“An examination of the facts will demonstrate that I acted properly. I will cooperate with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York to provide the information they need as quickly as possible. My only objective in selling the stock was to eliminate the appearance of a conflict of interest. I had no information about HCA or its performance that was not publicly available when I directed the trustees to sell the stock.

“Now, I’m going to get back to work. While you all will have many questions, we will answer as much as we can, as fast as we can, consistent with the inquiries underway.

“Thank you.”
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

See, it's crap threads like this that have me coming back to TLR less and less. I think I'll start a dozen or so cut and paste threads and see how far I make it.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Thats about my read on the deal. Come on now cause the guy dumps his stock at around the same time some corporate insiders did? Lemme see the phone records that establish a connection. Lemme see the written memos from the other share holders and this guy Frisk. Nobody reads ther SEC reports that explain "inside trades".
    Next thing ya know people will associate Kerry's wife ...the Ketchup dame....with problems with that Chavez guy who took over one of the company's factories in his country. I dont read this guy Frisk as a crook. Hes a doctor and I know thats close but come on now. He didnt violate nothin. And a freakin horses head for anyone tryin to screw this guy.

The republican card house is falling down...and it can't get up.

DeLay Indicted in Texas Campaign Finance Probe
    WASHINGTON — A Texas grand jury today charged Rep. Tom DeLay and two political associates with conspiracy in a campaign finance scheme, forcing the House majority leader to temporarily relinquish his post.

DeLay attorney Steve Brittain said DeLay was accused of a criminal conspiracy along with two associates, John Colyandro, former executive director of a Texas political action committee formed by DeLay, and Jim Ellis, who heads DeLay's national political committee.

"I have notified the speaker that I will temporarily step aside from my position as majority leader pursuant to rules of the House Republican Conference and the actions of the Travis County district attorney today," DeLay said.

GOP congressional officials said Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., will recommend that Rep. David Dreier of California step into those duties. Some of the duties may go to the GOP whip, Rep. Roy Blunt of Missouri. The Republican rank and file may meet as early as this evening to act on Hastert's recommendation.

The charge carries a potential two-year sentence, which forces DeLay to step down under House Republican rules.

"The defendants entered into an agreement with each other or with TRMPAC (Texans for a Republican Majority Political Action Committee) to make a political contribution in violation of the Texas election code," says the four-page indictment. "The contribution was made directly to the Republican National Committee within 60 days of a general election."

The indictment against the second-ranking, and most assertive Republican leader came on the final day of the grand jury's term. It followed earlier indictments of a state political action committee founded by DeLay and three of his political associates.

The grand jury action is expected to have immediate consequences in the House, where DeLay is largely responsible for winning passage of the Republican legislative program. House Republican Party rules require leaders who are indicted to temporarily step aside from their leadership posts.

However, DeLay retains his seat representing Texas' 22nd congressional district, suburbs southwest of Houston.

DeLay has denied committing any crime and accused the Democratic district attorney leading the investigation, Ronnie Earle, of pursuing the case for political motives.

Democrats have kept up a crescendo of criticism of DeLay's ethics, citing three times last year that the House ethics committee admonished DeLay for his conduct.

Earlier, DeLay attorney Bill White told reporters, "It's a skunky indictment if they have one."

As a sign of loyalty to DeLay after the grand jury returned indictments against three of his associates, House Republicans last November repealed a rule requiring any of their leaders to step aside if indicted. The rule was reinstituted in January after lawmakers returned to Washington from the holidays fearing the repeal might create a backlash from voters.

DeLay, 58, also is the center of an ethics swirl in Washington. The 11-term congressman was admonished last year by the House ethics committee on three separate issues and is the center of a political storm this year over lobbyists paying his and other lawmakers' tabs for expensive travel abroad.

Today's indictment stems from a plan DeLay helped set in motion in 2001 to help Republicans win control of the Texas House in the 2002 elections for the first time since Reconstruction.

A state political action committee he created, Texans for a Republican Majority, was indicted earlier this month on charges of accepting corporate contributions for use in state legislative races. Texas law prohibits corporate money from being used to advocate the election or defeat of candidates; it is allowed only for administrative expenses.

With GOP control of the Texas legislature, DeLay then engineered a redistricting plan that enabled the GOP take six Texas seats in the U.S. House away from Democrats -- including one lawmaker switching parties -- in 2004 and build its majority in Congress.
    Just some more info for the right-wing trolls that have infected this thread to digest. Indigestion?
    George W. Bush <--- Al Qaeda's #1 Recruiter

GWB - "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!"
    On Nov. 6, 1963, Laura Welch (now Bush) ran a stop sign and murdered Michael Douglas.
    republiKan values: mark foley, tom delay, jack abramoff, john rowland, duke cunningham, david safavian, bob taft, brent wilkes, james tobin, scooter libby and ernie fletcher. Poster CRIMINALS and PEDOPHILES of the repug party.
    The only two things you ever need to know about GWB:
    "The most important thing is for us to find Osama Bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - George W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where he is. I have no idea, and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - George W. Bush, 3/13/02

Statement from the Office of the Majority Leader

Statement from the Office of the Majority Leader

(WASHINGTON) - Kevin Madden, spokesman for House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (TX) today released the following statement regarding today's announcement by the Travis County (TX) District Attorney's Office:

"These charges have no basis in the facts or the law. This is just another example of Ronnie Earle misusing his office for partisan vendettas. Despite the clearly political agenda of this prosecutor, Congressman DeLay has cooperated with officials throughout the entire process. Even in the last two weeks, Ronnie Earle himself had acknowledged publicly that Mr. DeLay was not a target of his investigation. However, as with many of Ronnie Earle's previous partisan investigations, Ronnie Earle refused to let the facts or the law get in the way of his partisan desire to indict a political foe.

This purely political investigation has been marked by illegal grand jury leaks, a fundraising speech by Ronnie Earle for Texas Democrats that inappropriately focused on the investigation, misuse of his office for partisan purposes, and extortion of money for Earle's pet projects from corporations in exchange for dismissing indictments he brought against them. Ronnie Earle's previous misuse of his office has resulted in failed prosecutions and we trust his partisan grandstanding will strike out again, as it should.

Ronnie Earle's 1994 indictment against Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison was quickly dismissed and his charges in the 1980s against former Attorney General Jim Mattox-another political foe of Earle-fell apart at trial.

We regret the people of Texas will once again have their taxpayer dollars wasted on Ronnie Earle's pursuit of headlines and political paybacks. Ronnie Earle began this investigation in 2002, after the Democrat Party lost the Texas state legislature to Republicans. For three years and through numerous grand juries, Ronnie Earle has tried to manufacture charges against Republicans involved in winning those elections using arcane statutes never before utilized in a case in the state. This indictment is nothing more than prosecutorial retribution by a partisan Democrat."
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

As always, the right will always try to dismiss criminal indictments as political. Par for the course and expected, but of course Grand Juries don't issue indictments unless he evidence is VERY compelling that a crime has been committed. Justice - 1 , DeLay and right wing supporters - 0

Indictment: Texas v. Delay, et al.

On Nov. 6, 1963, Laura Welch (now Bush) ran a stop sign and murdered Michael Douglas.
    republiKan values: mark foley, tom delay, jack abramoff, john rowland, duke cunningham, david safavian, bob taft, brent wilkes, james tobin, scooter libby and ernie fletcher. Poster CRIMINALS and PEDOPHILES of the repug party.
    "The most important thing is for us to find Osama Bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - George W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where he is. I have no idea, and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - George W. Bush, 3/13/02

Quote Originally Posted by jrhvball
    As always, the right will always try to dismiss criminal indictments as political. Par for the course and expected, but of course Grand Juries don't issue indictments unless he evidence is VERY compelling that a crime has been committed. Justice - 1 , DeLay and right wing supporters - 0

Indictment: Texas v. Delay, et al.

Ronnie Earle's 1994 indictment against Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison was quickly dismissed and his charges in the 1980s against former Attorney General Jim Mattox-another political foe of Earle-fell apart at trial.

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter
    Ya know, I almost bought into the political BS....until I actually did some reading on Earle himself. The guy has prosecuted more democrats than republcans for this type of thing. Matter of fact, he even prosecuted himself once!!! He's a no-nonsense, "get the corporate money out of local politics" kind of guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Earle

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24
    Ya know, I almost bought into the political BS....until I actually did some reading on Earle himself. The guy has prosecuted more democrats than republcans for this type of thing. Matter of fact, he even prosecuted himself once!!! He's a no-nonsense, "get the corporate money out of local politics" kind of guy.

Thanks BD, I was going to post something on this, but you beat me to it. The right will TRY and paint someone as partisan and spin things to make someone look partisan in their rovian attempts to discredit a very credible and forthright person. It's sickening at how the right(wrong)-wing politicizes everything and attempts to discredit the person instead of the indictment.

I will not link to sources BD24 as you will see them as biased. But to be fair, using the Wikipedia links check the dates and position of the Dems he did prosecute. Did they oppose people he wanted in office and were the prosecutions in the time-frame of an election? Were they liberal or Conservative(this includes the Dems he prosecuted)? Do the events around his indictment of U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (Republican - 1994) make you think there might have been an agenda? Does the fact he discussed this case against DeLay at a Democratic fundraiser stand up to your "no-nonsense" acid test? I have not laid eyes on the actual indictment. But across the news last night the lawyers who had said the case was "thin" at best. Almost all agreed he will walk.

-The Gipper

I will not link to sources BD24 as you will see them as biased. But to be fair, using the Wikipedia links check the dates and position of the Dems he did prosecute. Did they oppose people he wanted in office and were the prosecutions in the time-frame of an election? Were they liberal or Conservative(this includes the Dems he prosecuted)? Do the events around his indictment of U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (Republican - 1994) make you think there might have been an agenda? Does the fact he discussed this case against DeLay at a Democratic fundraiser stand up to your "no-nonsense" acid test? I have not laid eyes on the actual indictment. But across the news last night the lawyers who had said the case was "thin" at best. Almost all agreed he will walk.
    Politics is war my friend.....

I read the Michelle Malkin link you posted in the other thread...interesting read. If the woman who wrote that e-mail knows what she is talking about, (which I assume she does, if she used to work at the DOJ), then he probably will walk. Time will tell.

Politics is war my friend.....

I read the Michelle Malkin link you posted in the other thread...interesting read. If the woman who wrote that e-mail knows what she is talking about, (which I assume she does, if she used to work at the DOJ), then he probably will walk. Time will tell.
    I have no issue and understand politics is what it is. But after reading up on him, which of the two statements below best describes him:

He's a no-nonsense, "get the corporate money out of local politics" kind of guy.
    Or

"A man who will use his position to help place candidates that share his views"

??

-The Gipper

I have no issue and understand politics is what it is. But after reading up on him, which of the two statements below best describes him:

Or

"A man who will use his position to help place candidates that share his views"

??
    If I were to hazard a guess right now, a little bit of both.

Keep in mind too, that Earle himself is not the one who indicted him....a GRAND JURY did. Obviously they saw there was enough evidence fit to bring him to trial.
    Last edited by BlackDragon24; 09-29-2005 at 01:46 PM.

If I were to hazard a guess right now, a little bit of both.
    Hmmmm. Ok, how does this description sound:

He's a man of questionable scruples who takes any approach possible to "get the corporate money out of his opponents pockets" kind of guy.

-The Gipper

Keep in mind too, that Earle himself is not the one who indicted him....a GRAND JURY did. Obviously they saw there was enough evidence fit to bring him to trial.
    Right, but he is the one spoon feeding the information to the GJ behind closed doors. We have no idea what he is showing them. It has been said many times before you can get an indictment on a ham sandwich pretty easily. An indictment is a LONG way from a conviction.

-The Gipper