Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Re: GOP - Setting the ethics bar

Texas Court Issues Warrant for DeLay
    AUSTIN, Texas - A Texas court on Wednesday issued a warrant for former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's arrest, and set an initial $10,000 bail as a routine step before his first court appearance on conspiracy and state money laundering charges.
    ...Priceless...

George W. Bush <--- Al Qaeda's #1 Recruiter

GWB - "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!"
    On Nov. 6, 1963, Laura Welch (now Bush) ran a stop sign and murdered Michael Douglas.
    republiKan values: mark foley, tom delay, jack abramoff, john rowland, duke cunningham, david safavian, bob taft, brent wilkes, james tobin, scooter libby and ernie fletcher. Poster CRIMINALS and PEDOPHILES of the repug party.
    The only two things you ever need to know about GWB:
    "The most important thing is for us to find Osama Bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - George W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where he is. I have no idea, and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - George W. Bush, 3/13/02

vexatious prosecution move. This is what you do when you have a flight risk or want to humiliate someone.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 10-19-2005 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal
    vexatious prosecution move. This is what you do when you have a flight risk or want to humiliate someone.
    issued a warrant for former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay's arrest, and set an initial $10,000 bail as a routine step
    Routine step...nothing more...nothing less. It's just the way they do it in Texas. But, still, priceless...

On Nov. 6, 1963, Laura Welch (now Bush) ran a stop sign and murdered Michael Douglas.
    republiKan values: mark foley, tom delay, jack abramoff, john rowland, duke cunningham, david safavian, bob taft, brent wilkes, james tobin, scooter libby and ernie fletcher. Poster CRIMINALS and PEDOPHILES of the repug party.
    "The most important thing is for us to find Osama Bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - George W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where he is. I have no idea, and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - George W. Bush, 3/13/02

Its not a routine step. It was an unneeded step for a guy that was due to walk into court on Friday anyway. Im not interested in how media wants to play the action....or how Delay's lawyer wants to minimize it.

Actually, the bail set may be an indicator of flight risk, but may mean nothing. The 'bail' is what you owe the court if you don't make your court date. However, the standard is that most people whom are not considered a risk only pay a percentage of that, usually 10-20%, depending on what the judge sets. The news virtually always reports the total amount though. $10k is actually pretty low for bail, and DeLay may have only needed to put down as much as $1,000 or even nothing, if the court decided his word was good. IMO it's likely he paid close to nothing: he's a family man in a prominent position and has a lot to lose by running for the border.

If they wanted to insult him or make it difficult, they could have just as easily set bail at $250,000 or more and demanded 100% of the bond. Which really wouldn't have made a difference, all he'd do is put his house up to a bail bondsman and made damn sure he showed up at court. Verdict plays no part in recovering bail.

At least, that's my personal experience through our law enforcement system.

^^With a guy like this, generally his word is taken to show up and no warrant is obtained. At the time of booking the bail issue is considered. The end result is the same its the added step thats insulting. Usually its agreed to show up ahead of time [lawyers and DA] and thats how its handled.

Things that are considered[three year investigation/Delay waived statute if limitation]=low risk character
    But Im sure Delays actions against the da didnt help
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 10-19-2005 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal
    ^^With a guy like this, generally his word is taken to show up and no warrant is obtained. At the time of booking the bail issue is considered. The end result is the same its the added step thats insulting. Usually its agreed to show up ahead of time [lawyers and DA] and thats how its handled.

Things that are considered[three year investigation/Delay waived statute if limitation]=low risk character
    But Im sure Delays actions against the da didnt help
    I'm curious where you get the notion that it's NOT a routine step? It is a routine step in Texas regardless of who you are. The amount of bail set is usually determined by flight risk. When you are indicted, you get a pretty picture in the county jail and fingerprinted. Delay is lucky they are not coming by and handcuffing him and providing a black and white taxi service to the procedure. And with a guy "like this" and his past record of ethics infractions and pushing the envelope of the law, maybe he SHOULD do a perp walk. Your standards are pretty low when it comes to repugs.

You misunderstand me. Im not making a political statement. It would be something like "arresting" Clinton for obstruction and perjury. Not an exact analogy but you get what Im saying.
    Also, like I said, the rest of the process is the same either way...I feel the warrant was not necessary. Delay was prepared to be printed and pic'd.

I see where you're coming from JimZ. If they wanted to be nice they wouldn't have issued an arrest warrant. I guess someone didn't want to be nice. I think Delay is getting what what he deserves. The Republicans almost always go after everything like hawks. I think he's getting a taste of his own medicine.
    Main Rig (BOINC Rig #1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1974
    I see where you're coming from JimZ. If they wanted to be nice they wouldn't have issued an arrest warrant. I guess someone didn't want to be nice. I think Delay is getting what what he deserves. The Republicans almost always go after everything like hawks. I think he's getting a taste of his own medicine.

If by get what he deserves you mean he'll get off scott free because Earle cannot get his sh*t together, then I agree...

Another Motion to Dismiss
    10/19 12:38 PM

Although a few editorialists are still in the dark apropos the turning tide in the Tom DeLay case, the national news media seem to be acknowledging by their silence that Texas prosecutor Ronnie Earle's case is flying off the rails. Here's what we know:

1. When lawyers for DeLay's co-defendants demanded that he produce a document central to the indictments, Earle could not produce it. Those co-defendants are now moving to have their cases dismissed, as is DeLay.

2. When indicted, DeLay publicly attacked Ronnie Earle. But his co-defendants, Jim Ellis and John Colyandro who have been under indictment for over a year have mostly let their lawyers do the talking. But this week, Colyandro spoke with me about some of the aspects of the case, and even went on the record to discuss Earle's inability to come up with his key piece of evidence. Why is Colyandro suddenly willing to talk to the press? My theory (which I did not discuss with him) is that Earle's inability to produce the document referenced in his indictments was a watershed moment in the case, and suddenly politicos in Texas are less afraid of him. People I've talked to in this case, as recently as two weeks ago, have expressed reservations about going on the record for fear of angering Earle. It's a major sign of his weakness that suddenly people are willing to go on the record.

3. Earle's investigation has reached new lows of desperation. His three-year investigation, characterized by an ever-widening scope, recently took a turn for the pathetic when he issued a subpoena for the phone records of Jim Ellis' 17-year-old daughter. Since first indicting DeLay, Earle's team has been scrambling: The first indictment looked like it wouldn't hold up in court, so Earle brought his case to a new grand jury. After that grand jury refused to give Earle his indictments, Earle went to yet another grand jury, which finally bought what he was selling. Since then, Earle has gone on a desperate scramble for evidence, subpoenaing Tom DeLay's phone records, those of his daughter, and records relating to a minivan DeLay apparently leased in 2003. DeLay attorney Bill White recently told the AP, "It seems to me he should have been doing it the last three years. Now is a little late to start checking on his evidence."

Now it's looking like the tables might be turned, as DeLay's attorney, top Texas lawyer DeGuerin, is looking into Earle's grand-jury shopping and possible misconduct. As much as the media would like to fit the DeLay indictment into their portrait of GOP corruption, it's looking like this puzzle piece just won't fit.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter
    If by get what he deserves you mean he'll get off scott free because Earle cannot get his sh*t together, then I agree...
    Delay and his cronies always go after everyone with both guns blazing. He is getting the same thing from Earle. Whether he is going to get off or not, the jury will decide.
    Main Rig (BOINC Rig #1)

Well there is Delay's mugshot. I have to give credit where credit is due. There no booking number sign in front of him and he's smiling like it's a photo op. There's no way you can look at this photo in a negative way. It looks like a passport photo or something. That's really smart on his part.
    Main Rig (BOINC Rig #1)

Will be interesting to see how this plays out:

1. An indictment with no evidence;
    2. A prosecutor cooperating with left-wing hacks to make a propaganda film; and
    3. A judge who donated to DeLay's and his co-defendant's political opponents but hasn't recused himself.

"The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Guess the MSM missed these indictments. Guess a trumped up indictment on DeLay with no evidence is big news vs. :

1) voter fraud
    2) tax evasion
    3) obstruction of justice
    4) plotting to kill a government witness
    5) running a prostitution ring out of City Hall

Yet another free pass handed out by the media for Democrats.

More Democrats to be Indicted in East St. Louis

Wednesday, October 19, 2005
    More Democrats to be Indicted in East St. Louis

The St. Louis area has seen 16 Democrat election workers convicted of voter fraud or similar charges this past year. This past week an obstruction of justice and plotting to murder a government voter fraud witness can be added to that list of Democrat convictions:

Although, Kelvin Ellis was convicted of voter fraud, tax evasion, and pled guilty to obstruction of justice and plotting to kill a government witness, his "running a prostitution ring out of City Hall" charge did not make it to court!

Former Democratic Party Leader and Director of Regulatory Affairs, Kelvin Ellis told the judge that he understood the charges against him and pled guilty on Wednesday, October 12, 2005 to obstruction of justice and plotting to kill a government witness. His trial had been set for today, October 17.

Today, Kelvin Ellis, the man held behind bars for plotting to murder the federal witness said there are more indictments to come:

And he said the federal investigation that led to arrests of eight people with links to City Hall is not done yet.

"I'm certain there are other targets," Ellis said with a trademark, gap-toothed grin. He declined to name one, but insisted, "I can't be the be-all, end-all. There has to be something else."

Ellis had been a top aide to Mayor Carl Officer in the 1990s, and previously served 18 months in prison for using his position in city government to get kickbacks. He eventually found his way back to power in City Hall.

When Officer returned to the mayor's office in 2003, their relationship was "strained," Ellis said. Officer has recently supported some Republican candidates. For that, Ellis said, he wants Officer out of power.

A former choirboy, Ellis now has accumulated four felony convictions. He is the son of two East St. Louis teachers and the father of 15 children. He complained of not receiving regular doctor visits for his diabetes during 10 months at the Tri-County Detention Center, deep in Southern Illinois. It often is used as a stop-off for federal inmates facing immigration charges.

-The Gipper

Goofy, Even by Democrat Standards
    By David Thibault
    CNSNews.com Commentary
    October 21, 2005

If the goofy indictment of Tom DeLay wasn't enough to make you laugh about those poor hapless Democrats and their desperation tactics, then the scene Friday in an Austin, Texas, courtroom had to make you split a gut.

There was Judge Bob Perkins - a contributor to MoveOn.org - presiding over the arraignment of DeLay on conspiracy and money laundering charges. To Perkins' credit, he appeared to agree for the need to recuse himself, but only after a motion by DeLay's attorney, DeGuerin.

If you're not already familiar with MoveOn.org, the George Soros-funded plaything of the most radical leftists of the Democratic Party, please visit this web page to understand the group's goals with regard to DeLay.

MoveOn members and donors are completely entitled to their views, including their petition drive to Fire Tom DeLay. But for Perkins to even show up in the same courthouse, never mind the same courtroom as DeLay and pretend that he could objectively preside over the case against the embattled Republican House leader is astonishing.

Perkins explained in court that, as far as he could recall, he had not contributed to MoveOn.org since the 2004 presidential campaign when the group was conducting another of its misguided efforts - helping John Kerry. Well, I'm pretty sure Perkins has a perfectly clear recollection of when he contributed, how much he contributed and for what reasons.

And in his courtroom, here stood the very embodiment, after President Bush, of all that has frustrated Democrats in Texas and at the national level for the last several years. DeLay is the guy who thrashed the Democrats in the state's redistricting battle, the guy who remade the K Street lobbying culture in Washington, D.C., to favor the GOP, the guy who is famous for his hard-ball treatment of Capitol Hill adversaries, making Democrats feel like they showed up at a gunfight with a pea-shooter.

They don't like it. As DeLay described in a post-arraignment news conference, the Democrats were unable to beat him at the ballot box or in the House of Representatives, so they turned to Texas prosecutor Ronnie Earle to find a grand jury gullible enough (that took quite a while, didn't it?) to indict DeLay on charges that have as much chance of producing a conviction as national Democrats have of moderating their loony agenda.

"I have been charged for defeating Democrats," DeLay explained. In a bolder moment, the Texas Republican might have compared his upcoming trial to a battle of wits with an unarmed man. The witless Earle (he can't be all bad; he did indict himself once) has guaranteed an outcome to which the Democrats have become accustomed.

The distinctive sound in their ears once the not guilty verdicts are read will be courtesy of DeLay, who will have beaten the Democrats again, beaten them like a drum. Pa rum pum pum pum.

David Thibault is editor in chief for Cybercast News Service.