Router Quick question.

I have 3 PCs.
    They all have wireless adapters.
    they are connected to a wireless gateway.
    The gateway is connected to a seperate router device.
    The router is connected via the phone line giving me internet access to 3 PCs.

Now my PCs internet access cuts off every now and then in the day and I cant solve it. I have no internet access for like 4-6 mins on each PC and then comes back after that. This happens daily.

Which device should be the DHCP server? Because I have disabled it on the wireless gateway and enabled it on the router. Is this correct?

Any help would be great.

Re: Router Quick question.

What router are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by neo1716
    I have 3 PCs.
    They all have wireless adapters.
    they are connected to a wireless gateway.
    The gateway is connected to a seperate router device.
    The router is connected via the phone line giving me internet access to 3 PCs.

Now my PCs internet access cuts off every now and then in the day and I cant solve it. I have no internet access for like 4-6 mins on each PC and then comes back after that. This happens daily.

Which device should be the DHCP server? Because I have disabled it on the wireless gateway and enabled it on the router. Is this correct?

Any help would be great.
    I am not no networing guru but I have mine set up as the router IS the DHCP server and I have on buth computers set on services as dchp is on auto hope this helps
    "The Lord Is My Shepherd, I Shall Not Want"
    PS:23

At this point DHCP is not relevent, what brand and model of router is more important.

Its a Netgear DG814 router.

So DHCP wont effect anything?

I think what Bryan was getting at is that DHCP is not relevant to the ISP service drops.

Make sure you are running the latest firmware on the router. I've seen firmware upgrades fix problems and make huge improvements.

Also see this note from a review on your router:

"There is an Idle Timeout field which by default is set to five. Unless you want the connection dropping out on you a lot then it is recommended to set a value of zero in this field."

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...gear-dg814.asp

As a matter of habit I always set this option to zero.
    Not a guaranteed fix, but a good place to start.

Hmm good suggestion but mine is set to 0.

Both routers have the latest firmware upgrades...

Ive tried alot of different version too.

Im on it today now though and I havent disconnected all. Other days though it happens frequently.

Another thing I noticed is that say if I was playing counterstrike or something, even if all my other computers disconnected and couldnt load any websites (including the one Im playing on), I could still play Cstrike or any online game without a hitch.

>>Both routers

OK, wait a sec....

The gateway is really a router?
    What model is it?

It's the gateway/router that is wireless and not the DG814 router?

The wireless connections are not going through the DG814 router it sounds like.

Is the DG814 also wireless?

Normally you have the gateway/modem (even if technically also a router) configured as a wired only bridge device and then a wireless router for the wireless connections. It sounds almost like you have two routers connected one after the other. That's not a good config.

Normal config:

gateway/bridge/modem -----> wireless router -------> workstations

Sometimes those first two functions are in the same box. You may be able to pull off that second router completely and just use the wireless box.

Is what you have something like this?

http://www.2wire.com/?p=8
    Last edited by Spartacus; 08-24-2005 at 06:25 PM.