Unhappy elitebar & abetterinternet BIG problems

:

Can anybody please help?????

I have two things on my works pc causing me lots of spyware problems,
    abetterinternet
    elitebar
    I have tried to remove these under various instructions from pages on the net , but so far no joy. I have also noticed that I have this nail.exe thing that is connected to the above.

If anybody could advise me then I would be very very very greatful.

Thanks

Colin

Re: elitebar & abetterinternet BIG problems

Welcome to PC Per

There's probably no quick and easy solution and you're going to have to do a little work.

I would suggest you check out the Sticky guide to removing malwares as a general reference and this thread on abetterinternet in particular:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=399120

Then let us know how you get on and if your still having problems, list the specifics and we'll be sure to help

Ned

This is a log report from Hijackthis, if this is any use to you.
    Yes I have tried some of the things on STICKY but it still returns

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 13:48:39, on 24/08/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
    C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
    C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wdfmgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I0R2.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\SmartDisk\FlashPath\sdstat.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bbc.co.uk/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 10.0.0.2:80
    F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Nail.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C86 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I0R2.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C86 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus C86"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
    O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: FlashPath Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\SmartDisk\FlashPath\sdstat.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {556DDE35-E955-11D0-A707-000000521957} - http://www.xblock.com/download/xclean_micro.exe
    O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/ms...downloader.cab
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
    O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
    O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe

Quote Originally Posted by colin200674
    This is a log report from Hijackthis, if this is any use to you.
    Yes I have tried some of the things on STICKY but it still returns
    Have you:

• booted into safe mode
    • unplug your network connection
    • truned off system restore
    • deleted all temporary file locations for each user account
    • tried deleting the nail.exe file

Also, what scanners have you run over it?

If it's repeatedly coming back then you havn't completely removed it. It's most likely hiding in one of the many temporary locations that windows scatters temp files around your HD and reinstalling itself upon reboot.

Ned

See this thread on how to remove nail.exe http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=390004

Be sure to disable system restore before you do anything.I have found that abetterinternet is associated with nail.exe Follow the instructions on the posted page.

Out of your HJT log the only bad entry I see is the following

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=Explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS\Nail.exe

After you clear the nail.exe please do the following. Run webroot spy sweeper to see what it comes up with. Try all or any of the following scanners to be redundant.

Spybot Search and destroy (free scanner) http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html and or Sunbelt Software Counterspy (free trial) http://www.sunbelt-software.com/CounterSpy.cfm

Re post a HJT log after you have cleaned up.

ou have your system cleaned I would highly recommend upgrading to Service Pack 2 for Windows XP to get the latest security measures provided by Microsoft.

I have managed to get rid of the nail.exe now , new HJT log below

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
    Scan saved at 16:22:45, on 24/08/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
    C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
    C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wdfmgr.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I0R2.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
    C:\Program Files\SmartDisk\FlashPath\sdstat.exe
    C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.bbc.co.uk/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 10.0.0.2:80
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus C86 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_S4I0R2.EXE /P23 "EPSON Stylus C86 Series" /O5 "LPT1:" /M "Stylus C86"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SpySweeper] "C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe" /startintray
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
    O4 - Global Startup: Acrobat Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Distillr\AcroTray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: FlashPath Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\SmartDisk\FlashPath\sdstat.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O16 - DPF: {556DDE35-E955-11D0-A707-000000521957} - http://www.xblock.com/download/xclean_micro.exe
    O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/ms...downloader.cab
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
    O23 - Service: Autodesk Licensing Service - Autodesk, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Service\AdskScSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoctrl.exe
    O23 - Service: ewido security suite guard - ewido networks - C:\Program Files\ewido\security suite\ewidoguard.exe
    O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    O23 - Service: Speed Disk service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\SPEEDD~1\nopdb.exe
    O23 - Service: Webroot Spy Sweeper Engine (svcWRSSSDK) - Webroot Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\WRSSSDK.exe

I used spy sweeper and come up with abetterinternet found and elitebar, they keep coming up.
    Any ideas???
    Thanks

Did you disable system restore before you did this? Download counterspy from the above link and give it a try.

How do you connect to the internet? Do you use a proxy service? If not than this line

Needs to be removed with HJT.

You may also want to take a look at your hosts file. More about that here http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

Also a couple more things There is an uninstaller for abetterinternet that you can find here http://www.mypctuneup.com/evaluate.php it is reported by many that it does infact work.

As far as elitebar goes see this link for more removal options http://securityresponse.symantec.com....elitebar.html

Dont know how many of you use it, but I find the Microsoft Antispyware tool to be very handy...Advanced tools> system explorers is a great way to kill those rogue progs, toolbars and such.

Laterz,
    dafanman

Click on Pic for Dafanman's Specs

Forum Rules
    Gigabyte New Owners Guide
    Nforce2 PSU Faq