Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Anti-war front protests out in front of Walter Reed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050826/...s_usa_bases_dc
    A military panel voted on Thursday to close the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, which for nearly a century has treated U.S. presidents and soldiers in the U.S. capital, including Iraq-war casualties.
    looks like they will have to go elsewhere to protest

As mentioned this isnít the first anti-war protest at military or VA hospital, it is an old tactic that goes back to the Vietnam War. People do have a right to free speech and a right to protest but if the purpose of this protest is truly to get the government to spend more money on the soldiers that come back broken and missing limbs like they say it is they should be protesting in front of the white house or the capital building. They are the ones who control the purse strings not the broken soldiers.

Way back in yesteryear I spent nine months in Oak Knoll Naval Hospital in Oakland, CA, it was a relatively new hospital when I was there. After about 2 or 3 months I was able to finally get out of bed and roll myself in a wheel chair as far the window in my room and look out. In the distance I often saw parked cars with people milling around carrying what appeared to be signs. It struck as a bit unusual and I asked many corpsman and nurses what they were doing and I never got a good answer.

Finally after about 5 months and many surgeries I was granted a rest and recovery leave. I remember calling a cab so I could get to the Oakland airport and catch a plane home. It was then that I found out the people milling around were anti-war protesters carrying signs that said many hateful things.

You know it made me feel pretty sad and I thought why in the hell are they protesting in front of a big military hospital. For most or all of the soldiers in that hospital the war was over, their fighting days were done.

The only conclusion I can come up with until this very day is their hatred and dislike of the military and soldiers wasnít just skin deep it went all of the way to the bone. They had no morals, dignity, common sense, compassion or credibility they were truly evil people.

Thanks, tucker.

I really hope some people around here take your words to heart. Nothing speaks true like personal experience and if anything roars loudly in your post its that your caretakers had the decency to hide the intent of the protestors from you. That's a burden your caretakers didn't need to have shouldered on them.

When I was 14 and 15, I participated in some of the antiwar shenanigans at Berkeley... I'm sorry. There were better ways to share my views at the time. I should have used them.

Like you said, they should be protesting in the proper location.

Again... thanks...

These people have the right to do and say what they want. To do it on the backs of wounded men that buy them that right disgusts me. No class.

Did you ever want to walk up to some twit and slap them stupid(er)?
    Not talking beat them up....just a good open handed slap.

Do they want the troops back so they can throw crap at them at the airport?

There certaily are ways to do things, and this is not it. I can understand the basis of the protest...I don't understand why they do it in front of that hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar
    Thanks, tucker.

I really hope some people around here take your words to heart. Nothing speaks true like personal experience and if anything roars loudly in your post its that your caretakers had the decency to hide the intent of the protestors from you. That's a burden your caretakers didn't need to have shouldered on them.

When I was 14 and 15, I participated in some of the antiwar shenanigans at Berkeley... I'm sorry. There were better ways to share my views at the time. I should have used them.

Like you said, they should be protesting in the proper location.

Again... thanks...
    I thought quite a bit before I made that post and I really wasnít sure that I should. Iím not looking for sympathy/empathy Iím way past that stage. I posted it because it might express the views and thoughts that some of those young soldiers at Walter Reed might have.

There is no need to apologize. You did what you thought was right when you were a youngster. Geezz you wouldnít believe some of the stupid asinine things Iíve done in the past, just thinking about some of them makes me cringe. The ones that really bug me are the old pros because they know exactly what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by l3p3r_M355i4h
    The signs are anit-war, but they don't seem to be anti-soliders. Its the normal, "bring them home" type crap. I don't really see anything bad about it...but peace and quiet aids healing.
    Ummm which signs are you referring to??:

Protesting the Troops

Anti-war demonstrators organized by a group backing Cindy Sheehan's Crawford vigil have taken their protests to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., home to hundreds of soldiers wounded in Iraq.

Code Pink (search) and others have camped out across from the hospital's main entrance once a week since March chanting, "George Bush kills American soldiers" and lining up caskets to represent the dead in Iraq.

The demonstrators say their protests and signs with slogans like "Maimed for a lie" are less offensive than the war itself.

But recent patient Kevin Pannell tells Cybercast News that fellow patients can't help but notice the protesters antics, calling them "the most distasteful thing I had ever seen."
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter
    Look at Andrew's post in this thread Scooter. The majority of the signs say things like "support our troops," "funding for our troops," bring our troops home. There some pretty crappy ones sprinkled in here and there, but the MAJORITY are perfectly reasonable.

The manner in which they are doing it, right in front of the hospital however, is classless in my opinion, regardless of first amendment privileges. Some things are just done in poor taste.

The chanting comment comes from a report by CNS news....I'll leave the usual "source" argument at the door, but needless to say the protesters have adamantly denied doing such things. The majority of them are protesting peacefully, but as I said earlier, there are some pretty crappy ones sprinkled in here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackDragon24
    Look at Andrew's post in this thread Scooter. The majority of the signs say things like "support our troops," "funding for our troops," bring our troops home. There some pretty crappy ones sprinkled in here and there, but the MAJORITY are perfectly reasonable.

The manner in which they are doing it, right in front of the hospital however, is classless in my opinion, regardless of first amendment privileges. Some things are just done in poor taste.

The chanting comment comes from a report by CNS news....I'll leave the usual "source" argument at the door, but needless to say the protesters have adamantly denied doing such things. The majority of them are protesting peacefully, but as I said earlier, there are some pretty crappy ones sprinkled in here and there.
    The quality and message of the signs seem to change from one source to the next. I think we can all agree that this is about as low as you can go decency wise. There is a time and place for everything, this is most decidedly NOT the place to hold a protest. Let these folks heal. If you have issues with the administration take it up with them.
    "The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us...
    Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business."

-The Gipper

The signs seem fine to me. If these people are really trying to help the soldiers, then yes, perhaps they should be in front of the white house instead of the hospital. But just because they're war protesters doesn't mean they have any more common sense than the average war supporter, so I condemn the quick-to-judge character attacks by all the usual suspects in this post.

Since it seems unlikely that we'll be able to determine which source is telling the truth about the protesters' behavior, I will also add that if they are acting like jerks, then they are indeed behaving in very poor taste and with little or no class.
    Heatware: Sabrewulf165 62-0-0

Quote Originally Posted by AMDScooter

My bad, I was refering to the ones in the pic that someone (ALB?) posted. Those were your garden variety signs. Sh1t like you posted is just plain wrong. Soliders need peace away from all that crap. Take it elsewhere if you want to vent your anger at the gov't. The soliders are just doing what they're told.
    3v1l l337
    Athlon X2 3800+ @2.6 GHz 1.4 vcore
    TT Big Typhoon
    2x512 DDR 400 2.5-3-3-7 1T@ 216MHz
    Evga NF4 Mobo (rebranded jetway)
    evga 7800GT@stock currently
    80GB SATA

Dreams are like appendixes. Utterly useless, and rarely deadly...

WTS "WANG" x1 PST

I think itís pretty well assumed they have the right to protest and the location they choose is absolutely the wrong place no matter what the signs might read or say. I saw the leader of the protest interviewed on Hanity and Colmes last night. When confronted with tough questions all she could say is my brother is in Iraq as if that is an excuse for her do what ever the hell she wants to do, much similar to our sympathetic figure Cindy Sheehan in Crawford.

The lady that is leading the protest in front of Walter Reed is a pro and I have a feeling sheís had plenty of practice doing this type of thing in the past.

She knows exactly what she is doing and there is absolutely no justification for it.

Like I said before no morals, dignity, common sense, compassion or credibilityÖ

Tucker your gift is not unnoticed by some. I was a young teen in the late 60"s.
    I remember the spitting people...always will. I Hate them still.
    Seems to me it ain't the same to dislike the reasons for a war and abuse some poor guy who's lived it.

The war you fought cost me my big brother and three years of my dad being gone.

I've been busted up(certainly not to the degree you must have been) and it sucks.

Nobody is going to spit on one of my warriors in front of me.
    You get to meet the angry redneck at this point.

They don't get to choose where they go...why they go or even how to fight.

Yet they get it done.

Hilarious read. Thank you. Maybe I'll go tomorrow and protest cancer in front of a nursing home.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?