[Resolved]Use older Router as switch???

I upgraded my older Netgear RT314 Router to a newer Netgear Wireless Router/Firewall.

Is there a way to use the RT314 as a switch only? I tried disabling DHCP, but it didnít work.

Any suggestions?

Re: Use older Router as switch???

if RT314 is a 4 port router, you can plug your source cable into a LAN port (not WAN port) of the RT314 and use the other 3 ports (if RT314 is a 4 port router) as normal. Just dont plug anything into WAN port of router.

What I did is reverse, I used old router as I always have, took cable from 4th port of old router and plugged into new wireless 4 port router into a LAN port, not uplink port. I had already disabled DHCP on wireless router and that function is all handled by old router.

T

Re: Use older Router as switch???

Quote Originally Posted by Tigsman
    if RT314 is a 4 port router, you can plug your source cable into a LAN port (not WAN port) of the RT314 and use the other 3 ports (if RT314 is a 4 port router) as normal. Just dont plug anything into WAN port of router.

What I did is reverse, I used old router as I always have, took cable from 4th port of old router and plugged into new wireless 4 port router into a LAN port, not uplink port. I had already disabled DHCP on wireless router and that function is all handled by old router.

T

You are the man!!! Thanks very much. I would have never thought about doing it that way.