Looking to set up a home Network... What Router?

Hey, Ever since i got my cable internet connection hooked up I have wanted to have it networked though the house so i could use it on my other systems. Iím looking to do this on a budget though so I plan on go wired. Now when i was looking at routers at Bestbuy today (stopped on my way home) i saw there are ones with built in firewalls and ones without. Would you suggest getting a built in free wall? And is there any type of brand / model that is over all better (using connection for gaming mostly). As of now im just looking for a router, worry about cabling later (father is an electrician so im sure he could set up the cabling pretty fast)

Re: Looking to set up a home Network... What Router?

It generally doesn't hurt to have the firewall feature, just make you understand it adds a little extra work with some network programs. ( Often you'll have to deal with port forwarding and setting up the firewall rules to allow some programs to work.)

We just got DSL as well and will be hooking up a LAN at home. A friend had suggested LinkSys. Right now they have a $10 rebate on all the wireless accessories that are "G" the new protocol, from the router to the wireless pci cards and USB as well. If you signed for a credit card, can't remember which on-line company right now but they were giving a $30 credit on the first purchase on the credit card. I'll try and find that company.

Linksys and Dlink have always served me well. Dlink seems to have a better warranty (3 years vs 1 year) for roughly the same price though.

I would recoommend the one with the internal firewall, I still run a software firewall on my PCs built in with my AV but the router takes the brunt of it.

Port forwarding is not hard at all once you figure out the principles of it. for the most part you wont need to worry about it unless you set up VNC connectoins, a voice or game server or something along those lines

I would recommend myself using a router with an internal firewall, even if you have only ONE computer!

I personally have a Dlink DI-624 Wireless G router and have no complaints at all after nearly 2 years of use.

I have used several models of linksys routers, all great, with excellent cust service and decent RMA practice.

Just 2 cents though, I have RMA'd personally 3 of the 4 Linksys routers I have used, and have had to rma 2 Linksys PCMCIA wireless cards (and broke 2 because of the flimsy head on the end) I have yet to have a Dlink router or card fail (or break). I am sure that someone out there has, but that is just my personal experience.
    Last edited by StompinRound; 08-29-2005 at 07:54 AM.

Mostly depends on the model rather then the brand, I've had the opposite where more dlinks were rma'd then linksys.

Wireless cards are always a sore point as the chipset thats used to run them isn't always the same even in the same line of card.