disable internet access from one client on network

So I've got 2 computers networked with my router thats hooked up to the internet. How can I disable internet access on one machine without using DMZ to one computer or just blocking all outgoing packets from one computer to the internet. Is there a way I can do this from xXP?
    My room mate has a seperate cable modem, so he's got 2 lan cards in his system. One connected to my router and one connected to his cable modem. So in essence, he has access to 2 internet connections. Where can I access what connection XP is using for the internet?

EDIT: Or am I going about this the wrong way, and I should indeed setup a firewall rule in my router that denys outgoing traffic from that computer.

EDIT 2: Ok on the advanced option menu, there is a place to change the priority in which connections are used to access network resources. I've put the connection on top which is connected to the modem and put the one connected to the router 2nd. Now, he loses connection intermittently, and once we disable the connection to the router. Internet gets right back on
    Last edited by sectionthirty1; 09-04-2005 at 08:55 PM.

Re: disable internet access from one client on network

On your roommate's computer, setup the NIC connected to your router w/ a static IP and leave the gateway blank.

That worked great. Thanks for the help.

Hard to get to the Internet, through a router, w/o a gateway.

one more question, how do I prevent machines that are connected to the router/gateway (which i want to give them access to the internet) from right clicking on this icon and disabling it. When you disable it, it forces the router to release the ip, now thats not very nice is it.

The easiest way would be to not have an Internet Gateway listed there. My machines don't have it. I believe that it's a combination of having uPNP enabled on the router and also on the computer. I routinely disable both.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie
    The easiest way would be to not have an Internet Gateway listed there. My machines don't have it. I believe that it's a combination of having uPNP enabled on the router and also on the computer. I routinely disable both.

Right again, I just disabled that on my router and it took it off on all my machines. How do you turn it off on windows.

Right click My Computer->Manage->Services, scroll down until you find universal plug and play, double click and change the startup type to Disabled. Click apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie
    Right click My Computer->Manage->Services, scroll down until you find universal plug and play, double click and change the startup type to Disabled. Click apply.
    ok thanks. It was disabled already

One other option is filtering by MAC address.

You can usually set the router to always grant the same IP address to a specific MAC address. Then you can usually also set the router to block (or schedule) access to the intarweb to that specific IP address.

The advantage to this is that it cannot be easily defeated by the client.

A thing I do on mine too, just to add something to the mix...

i have specific IPs assigned to each MAC address, and DHCP disabled in the router.

by having assigned IPs and DHCP disabled if the computer is not supposed to be connected to the router, it gets no connection to the network or online. This prevents someone from bringing in a Laptop or another desktop and jacking it into your internet connection or network without your permission. Works for Wireless PCs too

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    ...The advantage to this is that it cannot be easily defeated by the client.
    Reset button on the router?

I don't think the client in this case was trying to gain anything more than being networked with the other computers while maintaining separate Internet access.