wtf, my computer tried to connect itself to the internet

So I was on the other side of my room and I hear my modem activate (I'm on dial up) so I run over, turn on my monitor, and see that my computer is trying to connect itself to the internet. What the hell? I'm not a LAN or anything, so nobody could've remote desktopped or anything like that and done it. I keep my virus scanner up to date, use firefox, and don't do anything that would result in a virus. Has anyone heard of anything like this happening before?
    Do you wanna know why I use a knife? Guns are too quick. You can't savor all the... little... emotions. In... you see, in their last moments, people show you who they really are. So in a way, I knew your friends better than you ever did. Would you like to know which of them were cowards?

Re: wtf, my computer tried to connect itself to the internet

If you dont get answers here in abit...Ill copy this to our Spyware Forum for assistance.

Sounds like you got yourself a dialer. Check out the following link to download their free eScan utility - it has good detection of dialers, although there is no automatic removal so you'll need to delete any detected stuff manually.

http://www.mwti.net/products/mwav/mwav.asp

Ned

Is it dialing your ISP number? Probably it is set to reconnect on lost connection in modem properties?

I actually had a modem that just randomly connected, myself, and I never could figure it out. Modems are bad, though, like floppy drives.
    You have to buy one or two a year to keep them going. One way to keep making profits on cheap outdated components, is if everyone just makes them as obsolete and unreliable as possible.

Check your dialup properties for an unknown modem, too. Also, use a firewall that will tell you the name of the program trying to access the internet. I prefer Sygate.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

make sure ure winnie aint trying to update

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

maybe your PC is phoning Home...

Beee Gooood!