default router configuration

I need to know the default router configurations for common brands... I did google and wasn't able to find such listings? Do I have to email to cust serv or bother lazy techies? Example:

D-Link
    user name: admin
    password: <none>

Chuck

Re: default router configuration

There brand and model specific, try using the following in searchs.

<brand / model> default password

Also check for the user manuals on the manufacturers site.

As new routers keep coming in and alot of older routers get phased out there's no way of keeping all of it up to date for a central list.

Thanks. I will start there now. Reason is I need access to routers at people's homes (per my job). As you know, many never knew they could access to their router(s). I just need to config their DMZ to "125". I just learned about ports (which would be better), but again, per my job, I am to use DMZ.

Chuck

LOL, most of the companies I work for have a clause in there EULA.

Users can use Routers but our technical support stops at the modem.

DMZ defeats the purpose of the router and should be discouraged, I hope your required to inform the customers of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    DMZ defeats the purpose of the router and should be discouraged, I hope your required to inform the customers of this.
    Not required to cough. Anyway, it was interesting that DMZ are supposed to allow full access at specific IP address (per my job, the "125", which would be 192.168.0.125). Yet, it can cause hackers or whatever to shift into other parts of the network. Ports, on the other hand, are tighter. If I was at a place (most likely in business) that uses ports instead of DMZ, then of course I know what four digits to use for the VP.

I think the reason (not confirmed) that using DMZ (to "125") would allow the tech support to troubleshoot easier (over the phone). Also, as my job is to install VP, I am not to be working on anyone's computer problems, open up can of worms, endup with something possible worst. Nonetheless, some of the client's network is already messed up, so "either way"...

Since I just learned (surface) of IP addressings and few other things, I am planning to mess around with my home network. I will just simply pull out the ethernet cables off the current router and use a dumbie router. This should help me learn better on setting the router, but only on my system.

Chuck

I know the reason for that, it makes it easier for followup tech support and some routers aren't fully compliant on there NAT implementation.

Too bad it opens up several potential can of worms for the end-user.

Having spare routers makes learning alot easier.

ususally go to the manufacturers page,gen info aint good.also,u could ask the user to reset it,just in case soembody changed teh settings,which allotta times happen.

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

I have both D-Link DI-624 and DI-604. I am using DI-624 for my home network and DI-604 at client's network. Is there a good website where I can learn about setting the ports? I was told to always disable the "ping" (but where?). I like to learn more and know where to apply the changes. Are router firewall and router ports same thing?

I need to do the following: "the router needs to be configured to forward the necessary 1750, 15329-15333 TCP & UDP ports"

Also I need to learn how to change the ports for Yahoo Messenger (if that's how it works?) and for webcam? Do I need to change ports for to allow Outlook email? Google Gmail? Games (both internet and CD)?

Is there a list of port numbers that I use if adding devices to the PC? Will I still use Norton Internet Security? Questions... !!!!

Chuck

You really need to read the manuals for the routers and port forwarding, also you'll need to lookup specific ports for the programs.

In order to find out which ports and the type of port, check the support pages for the program.

If you use a firewall, you'll also need to allow the ports through otherwise they tend to get blocked.

It is possible that the router opens a port and NIS blocks the same port?

It is possible that the router blocks a port and NIS allows it? This is called "hardware" port blocking?

Router port block and NIS are two different things, yet same thing?

Chuck

Yes and Yes.

Each device handles ports independantly of each other, some in order to allow a port to go through you'd need to open the port for both the router and the firewall.

port forwarding and DMZ setup in the router can be quite complex,

if you are requiring the user to set this up on their end, you might be better off doing what i do.

I just tell them to hook the pc directly to the modem and shut down their firewalls. Then I can come in through remote control. this way the router settings dont get tampered with requireing me to go to their house.

I mean most of the people I deal with cannot even relaunch their firewall when we are done, much less setup port forwarding or DMZ and then get it back to the way it sould be later, I have to tell them to reboot

Dude.....

Read up and get some training.

You are asking very (VERY) basic questions to be reselling your knowledge
    as an expert.

I'm not trying to be mean or cruel, everybody has to start somewhere.

BUT

Have a basic understanding of what you are selling as your expertise.