build up older system or build new one little by little need help

I am looking for a motherboard and processor jump from my little athlon 1.2 gig hz chip. I would like to be able to use my current memoery agp video card or on board. I would like to get the most speed I can out of this system. It has a really nice cd room 2 ata 100gig drives and a burner in it. I just want a cheap upgrade for now then a bigger step later in the year. please help.
    Last edited by BlueKnight; 09-10-2005 at 11:21 AM.

Re: cheap conversion more speed

Well, later this year, like closer to the holidays?? I'd really just say that you should save up every dime till then and grab a nice socket 939, PCI-E system. But if getting a speed boost is the biggest issue to you right now, then I'd say browse around the PCPer Forsale/Trade forums for a while and head over to Anandtech as well. You can probably peice together a pretty cheap sckt. A or sckt 754 board and proc for under $100 that'll boost your speed a little. (That's all assuming that you have DDR memory, you didnt give a whole lot of detail.)

Be advised though. Speed is more than your processor speed, a system has to have a fluidity to it to have speed... Alot of that rests not only on the Processor, but the PSU, HDD's and the right pairing of memory to motherboard, then the MEM settings in the BIOS to top it all off. Hope this helps, PM with any more specific q's...

Butters
    Heatware
    EbayFeedback under snowxracer85
    PM me for more info OR
    snowxracer85@hotmail.com

that sounds good but heres the deal, everytime I save alittle on the side the cars break down, or the house needs something, or our health tanks so I just want to get a boost a bit on what I have. I do alot of photoshop and website work on this computer well at least did, This computer does have DDR memory. It just takes so damn long for conversions of images and adobe go live is a memory got so trying to swtich between open windows is a disaster. I just want something that can handle the load with out having to pci e maybe stay agp im not sure.

I hear ya dude, I really do... If you really do want to stay AGP (which is gonna be a struggle), your going to have to do what I mentioned before (going sckt A upgrade or 754), or if you can afford it, grab a newer Intel915 board (select variants of this chipset still support AGP) and a sckt 775 P4 chip (actually cheaper than a 478), that should help out with the multi-tasking problems. Keep in mind that your bottleneck will then be your HDD's...
    Heatware
    EbayFeedback under snowxracer85
    PM me for more info OR
    snowxracer85@hotmail.com

2600 64bit sempy and nf8-v or 2500(max yer bus? )/2600 64bit sempy and dfi 250gb.the first guaranteed 300x8,the second towards 350 or higher so 350x7=2450 or 350x8=2800? mm...ull need almost stock cooling for em e6 cores to get to liek 2.5,maybe 1.6-1.65 for 2.7..

the above can be had for like 150! so i guess its a wise choice.low L2 cache dun mean much..

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

well I am taking your advice and waiting on hashing together a system. I figured I can spend about 200.00 a pay period on stuff. I like the msi motherboard on the leaderboard. Im not sure about sli though if i need it I have been out of the computer gig for about 2 years now. WOW has alot changed. Anyhow is there a better less expensive choice going pci E?