How to release ip address from router?

Hey guys. This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. I need to connect my dsl modem directly to my computer for an internet connection, but I have been using a router. I don't know how to release the ip address from the router so that I can hook the modem up directly to the ethernet card. It's a belkin router, if that helps. Anyone have any idea here? I tried using ipconfig /release, but that just releases my internal ip address, and the router still has my ISP assigned ip address...

Re: How to release ip address from router?

Quote Originally Posted by mdb_utphy
    Hey guys. This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. I need to connect my dsl modem directly to my computer for an internet connection, but I have been using a router. I don't know how to release the ip address from the router so that I can hook the modem up directly to the ethernet card. It's a belkin router, if that helps. Anyone have any idea here? I tried using ipconfig /release, but that just releases my internal ip address, and the router still has my ISP assigned ip address...
    Do this. Disconnect the router from the modem. Use the CAT-5 cable and connect the modem directly to your ethernet card.

Now just pull the power on your modem for like 10 sec, and the modem should renew its ip address.

And viola , you should have internet .

tried that...didn't work for some reason, the ip address from verizon is associated with the router, and i don't know how to break that association. unplugging doesn't change anything. how do i seperate the ip address from the router?

the modem itself has no programmable interface. it just converts signal to and from analog to digital. so, if I want to connect the modem to another computer, I must first release the ip address from the first computer before I can connect to the new computer. in this case, the first computer is the router, and as such, I don't know how to /release the ip address from it. Any ideas?

The router should have a interface page, and in that page should be a status area.

Most of the status pages have a release button.

nope
    Barton 2500+ OC'd to 3200+@1.75V
    512MB Corsair Value Select PC3200: 2.5-2-2-8
    Shuttle AN35/Ultra Mobo
    Maxtor 80Gb HDD 7200RPM
    Lite-On 52x/24x/52x
    Powmax 580w PSU
    Sapphire 9600Pro 128MB

You shouldn't need to do anything with the modem's ip address. Go to "tools" > "internet options" > "connections" > "lan settings". Make sure that "automatically detect settings" is checked.
    Brian

Automatically detect settings, detects proxies not router ip info.

What router are you using?

eh...it's a belkin router, don't know the model number...it's just gray with two antennas on the back...anyway, I think the interfaces for belkin routers are basically the same. I don't see any release button anywhere...
    Barton 2500+ OC'd to 3200+@1.75V
    512MB Corsair Value Select PC3200: 2.5-2-2-8
    Shuttle AN35/Ultra Mobo
    Maxtor 80Gb HDD 7200RPM
    Lite-On 52x/24x/52x
    Powmax 580w PSU
    Sapphire 9600Pro 128MB

ARP Cache issue?
    or...you might have to wait a while for the DHCP lease on your ISP to run out before reconnecting.

Quote Originally Posted by gamefreaks
    ARP Cache issue?
    or...you might have to wait a while for the DHCP lease on your ISP to run out before reconnecting.
    Yep, I think that's it. The ISP sees the same MAC address and keeps giving you the same IP. It will do so until the lease expires.

Why so worried about having the same IP address?

Even after it gives you a new IP address, the ISP likely still retains records of who had what IP address during what period of time.

Feeling guilty about something?

Quote Originally Posted by mdb_foxmx
    eh...it's a belkin router, don't know the model number...it's just gray with two antennas on the back...anyway, I think the interfaces for belkin routers are basically the same. I don't see any release button anywhere...
    If your router is not connected to the modem, it doesn't make any difference what IP address it has.

DSL, at least in the US, usually uses one of two methods to establish a connection: 1) PPPoE, or 2) static IP. Neither has a release function, per se, which may very well explain why the option is not available on the router status page. Neither method ordinarily ties the IP address to a specific piece of hardware. #1 requires a username and password and will have a disconnect function associated with it. If your router has been performing this function of PPPoE login, once you connect your machine directly to the modem, you'll have to use the username and password to get the modem to connect. The odds of obtaining the same IP, even with the same MAC address, after logging out and back in depend upon the configuration your ISP is using, but, for the most part, are not good. It's not really clear whether that's your goal, or just that the modem won't give your machine an IP address at all. If your connection is setup for a static IP, cycling the modem will never get you anywhere. #2 is an always on connection similar to most cable connections. #2 is also the only sure way that you'll get the same IP address while connected to your computer. You should know which of these two connections methods is used by your DSL provider. This information should also be available on your router status pages. If it's static, just enter the information under TCP/IP properties for your LAN adapter and you should be good to go.

It is remotely conceivable that the modem uses static addressing and is configured to only give the address to a specific MAC address. If this is the case - unlikely - you can clone the MAC address of the router (WAN side) under hardware address in the properties for your LAN adapter as well as entering the static IP under TCP/IP properties.

having same problem gettin g new lan card to get ip address & get way from my Bellsouth DSL modem, I am trying to get pci Intel 100/1000 Pro MT ethernet card to work on my MSI Neo 2 939 motherboard. I donot like the speed of motherboard lan connection. The keeps getting hung up trying to get ip address and gateway.

Any ideas??
    [COLOR=Navy]Pdogtun
    Thermaltake SHARK Black Aluminum case
    DFI LanPartyUT nF4 Ultra-D (BIOS 06/23/2005)
    AMD Dual Opteron 170 Denmark @ 2.7 GHz
    (270)x(10) cooled by Scythe Ninja 1000 w/
    120mm Panaflo fan M1A never over 45 C
    2x OCZ Gold Edition 1 GB PC-4000 (243) on 9:10 divider
    eVga 256 N517 GT 7800
    Creative SoundBlaster X-FI XtremeMusic
    2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 80 GB SATA 3.0
    1x Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 250 GB SATA 3.0
    NEC Black DVD+/-RW ND-3540A - IDE 1/0
    OCZ Powerstream 520
    Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker

Pdogtun,

Try making a new thread for your problem.

Clearly describe the equipment you have and what the problem is.