Linksys WRK54G problem

I'm currently subscribed to Shaw Extreme-I, and I have the Motorola Surfboard, and a Linksys WRK54G wireless router. In the last week, I've had to reset the winsock catalog and reconfigure my router settings. Im not sure if just the modem, or the router itself. I suspect its the router. I'm using firmware version 1.55.02, firmware date is 5/25/2004. The last time I had the problem, I had it fixed for about 3 days of minimal use. But, now that I've been home for most of the weekend, and have been using the net excesively, I lose connection after about an hour or two.

The first time I contacted Shaw tech support, they told me that the router was the cause of the problem and not the modem. But, since the first modem I received was "defective" I'm not absolutely satified with their answer.

Also, I experienced a problem similar to this while I was subscribed to Telus, but not to this extent. Normally, a simple power cycling of the router would fix the connectivity issue. But now, as I've already, I have to reset everything, and re-configure my router entirely.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    DFI LP UT NF3-Ultra
    A64 3500+ (s939)
    Corsair XMS Pro TwinX 3200LL 2-3-2-6
    ThermalRight SLK-948U w/ 92mm Tornado
    Seagate Baracuda SATA I 160 gig w/ 8meg cache
    Gainward 6800 GT 400/1.1
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    Logitech z5300 5.1 THX
    X-Dreamer 2 w/ Enermax 470W PS

Re: Linksys WRK54G problem

If the winsock reset was truly necessary, this tends to point at a software issue on your machine. If after ascertaining that there are no adware/spyware/virus issues, the substitution algorithm would be the way to go in this case. Replace the router and see if it fixes the problem. If not, use a different NIC. If it doesn't work at this point, it's either the modem or something on the other side of the modem.