How to setup a p2p network with 2 nodes?

Hey hows it going guys. I was wondering how to setup a p2p network with 2 computers. I have never used windows XP, and everything seems to be different.

I don't need a hub/switch or anything do I? I have an extra nic, so can I just install that on the desktop and run 1 straight through line to the modem, and have the other nic connecting crossover to the laptop?

Can someone give me a simple explanation on how to set this up?

3DMark Score- 12,325

Re: How to setup a p2p network with 2 nodes?

Do you mean an Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) setup where the laptop is sharing the internet connection through the desktop?

If so, then yes, you have the right idea. You'll need to set up ICS on the desktop (on IP 192.168.0.1) and point the laptop's gateway to 192.168.0.1. And yes you can use a crossover cable for the link and add a hub or switch later should you want to add more computers.

Check out the excellent guides on the following site:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

Ned

omg. that link is perfect. that is a gold mine to me. reading through it for just 5 minutes, i learned so much, lol. STICKY THAT!

3DMark Score- 12,325

Quote Originally Posted by EddieK
    omg. that link is perfect. that is a gold mine to me. reading through it for just 5 minutes, i learned so much, lol. STICKY THAT!
    You're welcome

It's already in one of the Sticky threads

Be sure to follow the instructions exactly - for some reason people sometimes tend to struggle setting up ICS.

Ned