Improving airflow inside case

Hi
    I would appreciate some suggestions, photos, links, .....on how to tidy up the wirings inside my case to improve airflow. Wires from the PSU are running in every direction . I'm using round cables for the DVD's and floppy but it still looks messy.
    thanx.

Re: Improving airflow inside case

If you don't have the cash to spend on a modular PSU, I would suggest using some of the following solutions, based on $$$ available...

"So brok you can't afford the e"

Find some bread package twisty-ties, use them to bundle any power cables (PSU, fan(s), etc). You can also sit down and work out the best way to stealth some of the cables, like possibly run them behind the mobo tray...

"Found $5 in the couch"

Head to an auto parts store, Lowe's, Home Depot, or WalMart and look for zip-ties. Bundle the cables together, zip-tie, and snip the long ends. You can also use split-loom sleeving (like under the hood of your car (see first pic link, that's blue split loom))

"Got about $20"

Shop around on the 'net for some cable sleeving kits. Most "all-in-one" kits have the different gauges of flexible/expandable sleeving and the heatshrink enough to do all the cables on your PSU and most if not all the fans.

"Money is No Object"

You can often check out the special services of places like Performance-PCs.com, FrozenCPU.com, and the like. For a small fee, they will sleeve the power cables on PSUs, fans, etc, and in your choice of several colors (diff colors of heatshrink as well)

Now, all that said, you asked for pics and links as well...

Some really good pics I've seen in the pimprig.com user galleries. Just a few of the better ones I've seen in there:

Blue Split-loom sleeving

Zip-Ties and Silver Sleeving

Some stealthy cabling

Light Up the Night Sleeving and Zip-ties

I listed these because I spend more of my time at PR than here (honestly), but I have no doubts there are some fine examples of sleeving/cable management in the galleries here on PCPer as well...

As for all the other links, like where to buy, how to DIY, no need to look any further than right HERE (PCPer sticky on modding)
    PC7B+ CM:A64X2 4200:PCP&C 510SLI: DFI nF4 SLI-DR:2x7800GTX:2x74GB Raptors-RAID 0, 120GB IDE:2x1GB Ballistix PC4000
    PC60 CM: A64 3500: Ultra XC 500W: Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939: eVGA 6800GT: 80GB IDE: 4x256MB Geil Ultra PC3500

ISP Email 36-0-0 HeatWare 34-0-0 eBay 38-0-0 PimpRig.com

I went from this:

to this:

mainly by rerouting the wires behind everything. it completely depends on the design of the motherboard, and werhe you drives are. The ATX connector on my NF7-S is in a perfect location. no air flow is blocked where it currently is. I am in the process of watercooling, so its gonna change completely

Thank you guyz but I give up.
    I looked at all the photos and read some of the guides ( which makes it sound like a few hours job by opening up the PSU and removing pins from plugs etc...).
    I was hoping for a quick easy way to convert the case in Bugalaman 1st photo ( just like mine, lol) to the second photo.
    the difficulty I'm having is where to hide the massive unused wires from the PSU ;and if it is going to be sleeved, what do I do with all the redundant unused plugs which are attached to a wire that has another plug inserted into the video card for example...
    I was hoping for a schematic diagram that shows a close up of where all those plugs are hidden. I'll keep looking for more guides in the links.
    thanx

Tell ya what: post up some pics of your case, at least one with the side off and one with the side in place (windowed, I'm guessing, maybe not). Might be able to help you better...

An idea that I used on a case like that was to have the unused wires zip-tied together, coil them up, and use a small plastic adhesive clamp along the inside of the case roof to hold them all up and out of the way, right above the PSU I might have gotten lucky, the PSU I was using at the time was tall enough that the top edge of it was right flush with the top horizontal bar of the chassis, so you couldn't really see the top of the PSU, or the wires I had stashed up there either...
    PC7B+ CM:A64X2 4200:PCP&C 510SLI: DFI nF4 SLI-DR:2x7800GTX:2x74GB Raptors-RAID 0, 120GB IDE:2x1GB Ballistix PC4000
    PC60 CM: A64 3500: Ultra XC 500W: Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939: eVGA 6800GT: 80GB IDE: 4x256MB Geil Ultra PC3500

Here's another,

A roll of electricians tape and a few zip ties, then just tuck any unused or extra cables in behind the mounting plate 9or in my case, behind the 5 1/4 drive cage). Took about an hour to do.

I apologize that I don't have a pic now but trust me it looks very much like the "before" pic of bugala. It's like I'm looking at my case.
    I reviewed those guides in your response Grandpa and I realized that I have to look closely at my case and be creative in hiding those messy wires to creat a good air flow. the amount of information I gained from your posts as well as Bugalaman and stormy is great and I'm more confident in tackling the issue now. Thank you all again.

sometime you can past the cable behind the mobo, so that the unused cable would be between the "steel" sheet that hold the mobo and the case side.
    even more maybe you can pass all the cable there and reenter them in the case by a hole near where it must go.

(hope this makes sense, English is not my primary language)

Hi

I've also joined the "out-of-the-way, behind-the-motherboard" society, tying my extra PSU cables behind the motherboard-tray (sandwiched with the case panel), or in an unused space in the drive-cage, or beside the drive-cage.

(excuse the poor phone-camera)

I started with:

and

and

The motherboard power intruded past the CPU, and the gfx-card's power went past the RAM.

I've now routed the power-cables for the motherboard, gfx-card and gfx-fan below the PSU and tucked behind my exhaust fan, using garden-issue cable-ties:

Also, standard ribbon IDE cables are better for neatness and airflow than rounded cables. I'm using a rounded cable for my optical drives temporarily, but the flat IDE cable is far easier to fold away neatly (with a little patience).
    1) 3500+ Venice, Asus A8N-SLI, 1Gb KingMax DDR400, 128Mb 6600GT, 120Gb Seagate 7200.7, CDRW, DVDROM, 450W Antec SP2.0, Antec SLK3000B, Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu LED

2) 2600+ Sempron, Abit NF7-S2G, 2x512Mb Geil DDR400, 128Mb Radeon 9500 Pro, 80Gb WD HD, DVDRW, 350W PSU, TT Vol9 with Silent boost's fan, 1x92mm exhaust fan, 1x120mm blowhole fan, WinXP SP1

I'm glad to be of any help at all...

When I hit an obstacle like cable sleeving or re-routing for management, I keep looking until I find the solution that works for me (stubborn bastage that I am). I'll post up some pics of my primary and secondary rigs in the next couple days or so, just to give you an idea.

While both machines use the X-Connect PSU, the other visible cables are usually sleeved and routed to be as out of the way as possible.

I use Lian li PC-65B case. there is NO way to route the cables behind the MOBO tray unless I drill a hole myself. That means I have to take everything apart again.
    I managed to decrease the clutter temporarily tho by rearranging the DVD drives to create some space at the top where I can tuck in the unused plugs & wires. I also moved The HD up to the 3.5" bay under the floppy to remove it from infront of the intake fans at the bottom front of the case ( I didn't notice any change in the temps when I did this last step tho. The PC-65B has an outflow fan at the top that sits above the bulk of the cables and wires. it's not blowing out much, maybe it needs to be replaced by a stronger fan ( at the price of some noise.
    BTW my room temp is 25c, the MB(a8n-sli prem) temp is 36c , cpu @ 39 idle, up to 51 with prime 95. Amd 64 4000+ overclocked to 2.68Ghz ,cooled with Zalman 7000-cu.
    Are these temps OK?.

I rerouted most of my power cables (except for the ATX 20pin and 4pin 12volt) thru the back of the motherboard tray. But since I added more hard drives and plan to to add one more I'm going to have to re-organize my cabling. I'm fine as far as cooling because i have a 92mm vantec thermo flow on the side of my case blowing directly over the CPU, which has a panaflo w/ thermalright SLK900a heatsink. I did that mod to my case when I put in the drives I have now. I'll post pictures of my current set up as soon as i can.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenal
    I use Lian li PC-65B case. there is NO way to route the cables behind the MOBO tray unless I drill a hole myself. That means I have to take everything apart again.
    Adrenal, I have a Beantech Igloo1, which is a close imitation of the PC-65 (the original, anyway). I'm not sure what you require, by routing the cables behind the motherboard tray. It also depends on how many devices you have and your motherboard layout.

However, it was pretty easy to hide my unused PSU wires behind the motherboard tray (see my 1st pic). There's room in the upper drive-cages for stashing more PSU wiring, and I tucked my IDE cables beside the 3.5" cage.

It's a matter of planning and patience. Don't do the cable-management when it's late or you're pressed for time, trust me
    1) 3500+ Venice, Asus A8N-SLI, 1Gb KingMax DDR400, 128Mb 6600GT, 120Gb Seagate 7200.7, CDRW, DVDROM, 450W Antec SP2.0, Antec SLK3000B, Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu LED

2) 2600+ Sempron, Abit NF7-S2G, 2x512Mb Geil DDR400, 128Mb Radeon 9500 Pro, 80Gb WD HD, DVDRW, 350W PSU, TT Vol9 with Silent boost's fan, 1x92mm exhaust fan, 1x120mm blowhole fan, WinXP SP1

Flarkit.
    My case does not have a window between the the front of the MOBO and it's back. that would have made hiding the wires behind the MOBO very easy. In my case the MOBO sits on a sliding tray which sits on a dividing wall between the two sides of the case. I bought this case based on so many positive reviews but no one mentioned this lacking feature which I realise now is very important. lesson learned.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenal
    Flarkit.
    My case does not have a window between the the front of the MOBO and it's back. that would have made hiding the wires behind the MOBO very easy. In my case the MOBO sits on a sliding tray which sits on a dividing wall between the two sides of the case. I bought this case based on so many positive reviews but no one mentioned this lacking feature which I realise now is very important. lesson learned.
    Oh dear, that's horrid. Having a space helps. I use an opening beside the 3.5" cage, about 25mmX200mm wide That's enough to get the IDE cables through.

This is a review pic for a PC-65, possibly giving some ideas:

Is this link legal and all?

Is there no way to use a space in your 5.25 drive bays for some wire storage?

sorry, hope this isn't pushy of me