Laptop CPU cooling

Hey, guys. Been awhile since I posted anything. Starting to think about upgrading my aging 1800+ system, so I am sure I will have a ton of questions when that time comes.

In the meantime, I have a slightly OT question for the Cooling Masters.

I have been building digital picture frames out of old craptops and I think I am hitting a cooling issue with the CPU. Part of tearing these old beasties down involves removing the keyboard, which seems to act as the heat sink on most of these things. As the fastest CPU I am driving is a P-166, I was wondering if I could get away with using a passive chipset cooler with some thermal adhesive to keep these things from locking up.

Any ideas?

As always, thanks in advance for the sage advice.

Matt
    Main PC: XP1800+/Zalman CNPS6000-Cu - GA7DXR - 1G Mushkin Sp. PC2100 - openSUSE10/WinXPpro - Maxtor 40 Gig UDMA5 - Antec SX-840 - ATI AIW-R8.5K - Original Audigy (IEEE1394) - Vanilla USB2.0 - DVD-ROM & DRU-500A DVD's - QuietPC 400Watt PSU

Server: Athlon XP 3200+ (Barton)/Nexus AXP-3200 HSF - Abit NF7-S v2 - 1G Muskin Special DDR400 - Maxtor 120Gig/WDC 120Gig - FC5 - Antec KS780B DK - Hauppauge PVR-350 - geForce4MX 440 - MultiTech MultiModemZPX

Re: Laptop CPU cooling

I do not see any reason why you could not use a passive heatsink on the CPUs.

the biggest issue would be size and location i guess.

now back on this converting old laptops into digital picture frames....I would like more info on that.

yep,u can.on neuer lappies u need munsta cooling(except low powered oens liek centrino and turion..)

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by StompinRound
    now back on this converting old laptops into digital picture frames....I would like more info on that.
    It started as a small spare time project, but as soon as I released one to my sister, I suddenly started getting requests for more of them!

I tried using Linux and 802.11g WPA connections to a server (in the case of my sis, a share to her My Pictures folder on an XP box). BUt WPA is not quite there yet in Linux. Another thing was that when you ran the bugger in init 4, you would get an ugly white border. This is fixable in Xorg, but it is not easy and I think is beyond my programming skills. So, faced with these two issues, I was forced, against my will mind you, to use that other operating system.

Here is a link to my attempt with Linux, which is mainly me beating my brains out with WPA_Supplicant.

Here is a link to the second attempt

And here is me getting all arty with a wickedly custom built acrylic frame

Just Google "DIY digital picture frame". There are hundreds of links to other folks doing the same, but no one talks about the buggers crashing due to heat.
    Main PC: XP1800+/Zalman CNPS6000-Cu - GA7DXR - 1G Mushkin Sp. PC2100 - openSUSE10/WinXPpro - Maxtor 40 Gig UDMA5 - Antec SX-840 - ATI AIW-R8.5K - Original Audigy (IEEE1394) - Vanilla USB2.0 - DVD-ROM & DRU-500A DVD's - QuietPC 400Watt PSU

Server: Athlon XP 3200+ (Barton)/Nexus AXP-3200 HSF - Abit NF7-S v2 - 1G Muskin Special DDR400 - Maxtor 120Gig/WDC 120Gig - FC5 - Antec KS780B DK - Hauppauge PVR-350 - geForce4MX 440 - MultiTech MultiModemZPX

The keyboard does not act as a cooling mechanism, it's entirely done with a block/heatpipe/heatsink-fan setup. Passive may work for a old P1, though it depends on if their is enough air to move around it, some of the old P1's did run very warm.

When are they overheating, when hung up on the wall, or just normal testing?
    Last edited by tdg; 09-23-2005 at 12:25 PM.

Well, I have found that they usually have a thermal pad on the keyboard's supporting metal plate right where it meets up with the CPU. I am finding this on old ThinkPads, Dell Latitudes and DEC HiNote Ultra 2000's. It just makes sense. Dissipate the heat anyway possible! The DEC is by far the hottest of the bunch. It actually got so warm (while still a laptop) that I had to get it off of my lap! Hot, hot hot!

One dies on the bench (DEC). Another, encased in a frame, dies on the wall after a couple of days (ThinkPad). One hung on a wall (Dell), sans frame (just bare guts), for two weeks in an art show without a reboot.

I know that I need to get some air flow to the one that dies on the wall, but I am looking at the one on the bench right now. This will be sandwiched between two plates of plexi.

Cool Re: Laptop CPU cooling

It sounds interesting, but is the plexi a wise choice?? It seems to me that it might hold the heat in.

Well, that is a thought, but it is crashing even while on the bench without the top layer in place. This is where I was thinking about the chipset cooler. It will take chopping a square out of the plexi, but I would rather have that then a non-working system!

And, even with the top layer in place, there should be enough space for air to circulate. Not much, but more than is actually in a normal laptop!