Cooling experiment

I'm getting a new Video card and I think I need to take a new approach at cooling. Give me your opinion about this. I have the Antec plus880 case found here:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...views/plus880/

I'm sure most of you are familiar. If not, it has 2 fan slots in the front. One is in front of the hard drives, the other is just below that. There are also 2 in the back by the CPU.

Now, what I'm thinking is put one high velocity panflow in the front blowing out and removing all available PCI slot covers. That way I have airflow from back to front that passes through the new video card. Then I make some kind of barrier out of cardboard and separate the PCI/AGP part of the motherboard from the CPU/Memory, and then put 2 fans in the back to blow out so it's pulling the air from front to back. That flow is being fed by the fan in front of the hard drives. Think it will work?

I drew a very crude example:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
    XFX GeForce 6800 AGP
    2 x 512MB PQI Turbo PC3200
    73GB WD Raptor SATA
    200GB Maxtor SATA
    CoolerMaster Centurion 532
    Optiwrite 12x DVD-RW
    Pioneer 16x DVD Slot load
    Windows XP Pro
    Samsung Syncmaster 950P 19" CRT

Re: Cooling experiment

i don't really think you will get good airflow with that setup. you should remove the cardboard and leave the front fans as intake and the rear as exhaust. just my opinion. because where is your video card getting fresh cool air from in that scenario?

I was thinking that the video card would pull air from the open PCI slots. I wouldn't cover the slot holes. But now that you mention it, it will probably just pull the hot air blowing out from the rear fans above. Unless I can redirect the air blowing out the rear away from the lower intake.
    AMD Athlon 64 3500+
    ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
    XFX GeForce 6800 AGP
    2 x 512MB PQI Turbo PC3200
    73GB WD Raptor SATA
    200GB Maxtor SATA
    CoolerMaster Centurion 532
    Optiwrite 12x DVD-RW
    Pioneer 16x DVD Slot load
    Windows XP Pro
    Samsung Syncmaster 950P 19" CRT

You are going to have to redirect your exhaust. Both the rear fans and your psu. I'm not sure if leaving all your pci slots open is a good idea. You'll be sucking in an insane amount of dust....

you could possibly duct the exhaust fans to pull the heat away from the pc, have an intake on your side panel over the video card, or two. it may take some work, and may not be worth it. but with a dremel and some patience you could make nice hole(s) on the side of the case, i would definately recommend using a fan filter over the intakes to keep dust down. if you do go through with it post some pics, as it would be neat to see if it makes a difference.

IMO, there are only 2 ways to increase cooling performance without going to more extreme levels such as watercooling or air conditioning.
    1. Buy a better heat sink
    2. Use forced air

Unless you're in a really cold room, increasing the airflow threw a case will just help dust accumulate faster.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

"We've got a gang of clueless bozos steering our ship of state right over a cliff, we've got corporate gangsters stealing us blind, and we can't even clean up after a hurricane much less build a hybrid car!" -Iacocca

^Your kidding right?I got a 15c diff when i put my two side fans in.

Forced air = a fan blowing directly on components. The side fans you added are doing just that. Could have got the same 15c drop without cutting holes though.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

"We've got a gang of clueless bozos steering our ship of state right over a cliff, we've got corporate gangsters stealing us blind, and we can't even clean up after a hurricane much less build a hybrid car!" -Iacocca