Hard Drive with 2 power inlets... which one?

Hi guys... this is probablt a stoopid question... but... i need to know whether i need to place the power cords into both inlets on my hard disk... its a WD 160 GB SATA2 and my M/B is a K8nsp-sli... theres the norm power cord with the 4 copper arms.... and theres also this new funky looking power cord thats L shaped on its side... dunno if its even a power cord but since its coming out of my PSU i can only assume it is.... do i need to connect both or am i only suppose to connect the one?

thanks for any info guys.. glad to have joined this forum... many many helpful people~~!!

Re: Hard Drive with 2 power inlets... which one?

No just one... I think the funky looking one is gonna be the new style for SATA cuz my raptor has both.. and i just bought a Maxtor SATA and it only has the new style... i was using the four pin on my raptor but now i am using the new style on both HDD.

BF3 Dino:
    i7 2600k, ASUS P8Z68-V Pro, 8GB Corsair, X-25M 120GB, WD 300GB Raptor, 2xEVGA GTX570HD 2.5GB, X-fi Titanium, Antec 1200W.
    Monster: i7 930, MSI X58 Platinum, 9GB Corsair, WD 74GB Raptor, WD 2TB, Palit GTX460 1GB, PCP&C 750W.
    Beast: AMD4400+, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, 2GB Corsair, 2x 1TB WD Green Raid0, 2TB WD Green, KFA2 9600GT, Dynex 500W.
    Relic: Intel P4 3.2GHz, Asus P4SD-LA, 1.5 GB PC2700, 160GB WD, 120GB Maxtor, ATI 9600Pro, Dynex 500W.

do you know if using both connectors can damage any parts?
    cause i tried on both for about 5 mins and then thought better of it... just wondering if i stuffed up anything.... the new board cost me a fortune... reckon the new connectors better than the old one?? there must be a reason why they changed, right?

Using both connectors WILL damage the hard drive, or so sayeth the wise men at WD. I dunno what it will do EXACTLY, but something along the lines of too much voltage going in and frying stuff you don't want fried does come to mind.

If you have an option, use whichever one is easiest for you, as long as it's one OR the other, not both.
    PC7B+ CM:A64X2 4200:PCP&C 510SLI: DFI nF4 SLI-DR:2x7800GTX:2x74GB Raptors-RAID 0, 120GB IDE:2x1GB Ballistix PC4000
    PC60 CM: A64 3500: Ultra XC 500W: Gigabyte K8NS Ultra 939: eVGA 6800GT: 80GB IDE: 4x256MB Geil Ultra PC3500

ISP Email 36-0-0 HeatWare 34-0-0 eBay 38-0-0 PimpRig.com

ok.... does anyone think i might have damaged the HD by using both for about 5 mins?
    i hope not.... i might ask WD.. hmmm...

thanks guys

I have also heard that it can damage the drives, but I have seen countless customers computers with both plugged in, and they all worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by peterpooh
    Hi guys... this is probablt a stoopid question... but... i need to know whether i need to place the power cords into both inlets on my hard disk... its a WD 160 GB SATA2 and my M/B is a K8nsp-sli... theres the norm power cord with the 4 copper arms.... and theres also this new funky looking power cord thats L shaped on its side... dunno if its even a power cord but since its coming out of my PSU i can only assume it is.... do i need to connect both or am i only suppose to connect the one?

thanks for any info guys.. glad to have joined this forum... many many helpful people~~!!
    It is actualt a stoopid question, because if you carefully read on the HDD label, it is clearly written that you should not connect both connector.. label on electronic parts are not only to make the parts look better... it has useful information on them and worth reading them, even if one think he knows everything...

Newer WD HDD come with a plastic plug to cover the conventionnal 4 lead power connector so only the SATA power connector is visible, making it harder to wrongly plug them. Older had both connectors accessible. So it is easy to make a mistake. maybe the first SATA model do not have the warning on them too...

feandro is offline nix the electoral college

I see no reason to call the question stupid. Sometimes it's hardest to see what's right in front of you. Besides, I learned something by reading this thread, and I wouldn't have if nobody had asked the question.