Unhappy "Virus Identified Java/OpenStream Embedded Object"?

Uh-Oh....I'm back...

So AVG ran its scheduled scan this morning and found 5 viruses, (3 of which were deleted, they were in quarantine in Microsoft Anti-Spy) but AVG could not delete/heal the other 2 which are in C\Documents and Settings\Sarah\Application Data\Sun
    Java\Deployment\Cache...(it's a really long filename that ends in .zip)

The second virus also ends in .zip

I have AVG 7.0 Network Edition which doesn't allow me to do a lot manually and doesn't give too much detail...

Also, I have Bitdefender 8, but is it normal for the virus scan to take 6 hours? I started to run it, and the estimated time left was 6 hours...

Suggestions? I don't think this one is a trojan...?

Thanks so much,
    Sarah
    Last edited by sarah508; 10-01-2005 at 06:36 PM.

Re: "Virus Identified Java/OpenStream Embedded Object"?

Can you get on line and run TrendMicro?
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

Yeah I definitely tried that...it said only Internet Explorer was supported...and I got rid of my IE shortcut and all that good stuff...

I'm looking thru the TrendMicro Virus encyclopedia thing...it just sucks because AVG isn't showing the entire filename where I can just copy and paste it...

~Sarah

There is also a version of Trendmicro Housecall that uses Java rather than ActiveX. This means it will run on any OS/browser that supports Java. It fully supports Firefox, and I have even run it on Linux/Firefox

Here's the link for UK users:

http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/cons...all_launch.php

BitDefender Free 8 should definately not take 6 hours. Obviously the scan time will be proportionate to the size/amount of data on your HD to scan, but I would have thought about 30 mins would be right.

Ned

Awesome! Thanks so much for the link! I will try Bitdefender again and see what's up...

Thanks,
    Sarah

OK Trend Micro found 1 infection... "Java Bytever R"

I'm looking it up to see how I can remove it

I'm still going to run Bitdefender as well since that seemed to catch a lot of things last time I ran it...

Thanx again

Another thing to look at is the way that AVG enumerates the viruses it finds and what it does with them. For example, if it finds 2 infected files inside a zip file, it will list both of the imbedded files and the zip file. If you delete the infected files, it will appear from the way AVG lists them that it failed to delete the imbedded files. Since it deleted the zip file, it doesn't make any difference - the files are gone. If, for some reason, it doesn't delete the zip file, just go delete it yourself.

Oh, that's a good point! AVG's done that before I've noticed...still am in the process of deleting the files...

It's strange because the AVG network edition I currently have is different from the one I used to have, and I would think the IT people on the administrative end of my school's network would try to do something from their end if it is possible? Because I can't change any settings manually because they "don't allow it"

I think the scanner just reports back to them with results, so they know what kind of viruses/threats they are dealing with on the network...and if need be they just ban us from accessing the internet/network completely until we fix the problem...

Thanks for the help!
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by sarah508
    ...I think the scanner just reports back to them with results, so they know what kind of viruses/threats they are dealing with on the network...and if need be they just ban us from accessing the internet/network completely until we fix the problem... ....
    Sarah
    I'm sure that is the extent of their concern - how it affects their network.

deleting all your Java Cache and your IE Cache should remove any of those files .

Yup, I went through and deleted all the temporary internet files, and I went into the Java folder as well but there was nothing there...

I had the Aurora/Nail/Trojan virus problem a few weeks back, and it was resolved, so I cleaned a lot of stuff off my system, backed up all my files online and started clean...so there's not a lot on my hard drive right now...only the main stuff that's installed or came with my system...

I really do love computers sometimes...that whole love/hate relationship!!

Best Regards,
    Sarah