Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Need help chosing a processor... PLEASE READ and advise.

wooooow guys take it easy ... i think i got reliable information from all you. thanks. i think in the end i have decided to save a little money and upgrade my periphs a little ... i decided to go with the athlon 64 4000+ San Diego ... that way i am saving over 550 and when a better processor comes out, i will go all out on it... just wanna make sure, this processor is the fx53 right? thanks.

Yes, the 4000+ is essentially the same, but since your going San Diego instead of the older core that FX-53 was on, you'll have a little more overclocking headroom on one side, but a locked CPU multiplier above it's default on the other.
    Self Banned for disgust at lack of moderator impartiality.

The 4000+ SD is a 2.4GHz fx53. [edit] <<Ignore that. Moshpit beat me to it.

But if you are looking at a temporary fix & holding off on a major upgrade for later then I would think about a s939 Opteron. These are E4 San Diegos.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=75211

They are getting 3.2GHz out of 148s. They are getting fx59 speeds (3.0 GHz) and more on air out of 146s, which are selling for $220. You can save half the cost of the 4000+ and get a processor which breezes through fx59 speed. Looks like no contest to me.

The only other processor scheduled to come out for S939 (except Semprons) on roadmaps I've seen is the fx59 and you can effectively have one of those already so no sense in buying one. I presume the best sensible buy you'll get next year is whatever is the latest Opty - probably a dual core at that. Then we are into M2 anyway.

i am ordering the asus sli motherboard ... so it has to be socket 939 ...

??
    The Opterons are socket 939.

ya i just assumed it wasnt because i was searching for processors on newegg ... they dont seem to have any

They are hard to get hold of, but Monarch Computer has got them all. They are in that link on the bottom part of the page.