ECS K8T890-A problems with bios with Sata

I bought this mobo thinking the agp slot together with the pci slot would allow me to get the graphics card I wanted in good time.

My previous hard drive had failed so I decided to buld a new system with this mobo, 1 gig of ram, athlon 3500, and a sata drive.

Now the bios is having trouble recognizing the sata drive. It picks it up as the primary ide master which it isn't in fact nothing is plugged into the primary ide controller. The dvdrw is picked up by the bios as being my SATA drive although I have two plugged into the secondary ide controller cable.

Because of this problem I cant get my new set up to go as I cant install windows.

How do I get this SATA drive configured properly?

Re: ECS K8T890-A problems with bios with Sata

i would hook just one rom drive up and put it on the primary channel for the time being. have you tried setting the boot order to cd, sata, floppy.

if you look in the standard cmos settings, it lists the satas as ide drives.

i've downloaded the manual and it doesn't give me a whole lot to guess from. you may have to hunt and peck through the bios to see if there is anything to turn on for straight sata vs raid.

ud

I tried with one drive hooked up on primary, even dried a different SATA cable. Inthe CMOS it does have a list for both serial slots and it lists the dvdr/w as being connected to the sata1 which it isn't, it's on Primary master ide, and a hard drive as primary master which it isn't its on sata 1.

The XP installation stops after loading the files needed for setup into the RAM. I would guess when it tries to use the SATA drive it fails. I have managed to get Powermax diagnostics disk working and would you guess it but according to the software there is no sata drive installed. I'm just running the mem check tool now. The memory is new, two sticks of 512 and I did earth myself.
    After 9 passes of memtest no errors detected
    I disabled onboard sound, lan and everything including usb. I final sussed about the driver disk and got that to load the sata raid option. It was easy but I still got a blue screen. Same error as above.

I also changed the Agp card for a basic pci adapter just in case that was giving the trouble. I sent my IDE drive back to Maxtor today under warranty so I guess I have to wait till that gets back or get another mobo.

Can I ask is it normal easy to set up a system with just a SAta Drive or does everyone still use IDE to setup the system.

i think people generally are moving over to sata for a little quicker rig. it mostly depends on what you plan on doing with your rig and if want to get in the guinness world records.

what psu are you using? brand, model and the listed amps/12v on the side. check your bios and see what reading you have for the 12volt line.

you haven't changed jumpers on the drive have you?

ud

Standard 400 watt power supply. I don't believe there are any jumpers on the SATA drive

64bit boards are suggest to use at least 18 amp on the 12 volt line. sometimes if there's not enough power it can cause window to stall out on an install. if you can get hold of a digital multimeter and check the yellow + 1 black wire on a 4 wire molex to see if your keeping close to 12v.

i know that doesn't explain the miss readings in the bios but that may be what keeping you from loading windows.

since you have the weekend to troubleshoot and your ide rma is somewhere. why don't you ask for some help in both the storage and windows forums. they may have some ideas.

ud

Quote Originally Posted by tenpolequint
    Can I ask is it normal easy to set up a system with just a SAta Drive or does everyone still use IDE to setup the system.

SATA is no more than an interface between the IDE controller and the IDE hdd. With modern baord, controller include the SATA interface, so Windows will install right on without the need of drivers, opposed to older motherboard which chipset did not include the SATA interface. Mobo were then using third party controller, and needing drivers to install.

My first move would be to clear the BIOS. Unplug the power and remove the batterie for 3 minutes. Oh.. ECS motherboard sometime have the clear bios jumper set to CLEAR for shipping. Make sure it is setted to hold the data. Then remove the CDROM from the connector, leaving only the HDD. Check if it detect it, then add the CDROM and install just like PATA drive.

^^^
    tks for the input.

ud

At last problem solved and windows is installing on the machine. After three nights of trying different combination for trying to get xp to install I finaly got the solution.
    Through advice at sysopt.com I was adviced to check my hard drive on another machine. I was convinced it was fine but just to check I phoned the Brother in law and explained the problem I was getting. He came down to take a look and agreed that the hard drive was working even though the cmos readings were perculiar with the dvd. He said it was normal for the sata drive to be identified as the IDE.

When looking at the error page he pointed out that the error was pci.sys and did a google search on this error. We found in another forum with the same problem was solved by using a version of XP with sp2 and went on to explain about slipstreaming to create a new xp disk with sp2 embedded.

I followed the link and set about preparing the iso file using the linked instructions. It was hard work manually configuring this and when the iso file was finished the size of the iso was 750mb and I only had 700mb disks. I put a new thread about this problem and was advised to try autostreamer which automatically configures everything. So I downloaded this and set about creating the ISO file and it finished at about 650Mb excellent. Tried it in the computer and success so far. I can now see a welcome screen so I better get to setting it all up. Thanks for all the help.

ud