Smile Happy Halloween (and razor blades)

Happy Halloween to you all.
    When I was a kid in the 80's, one of the prime fears of adults was that apple with the razor blade in it, or the poisoned popcorn ball. We weren't allowed to have any kind of home made treats.
    I was wondering if those fears are still around now that (some of) you have kids of your own.
    BTW, Snopes says these fears are (relatively) ungrounded. What say you?

Re: Happy Halloween (and razor blades)

I remember all that. Homemade treats are only allowed from neighbors I know but they really aren't that common these days. People mostly buy those bulk bags of candy from Walmart.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Talking Re: Happy Halloween (and razor blades)

They were talking about the razor blade thing the other night on the radio, they made it very clear that the razor blade story was a myth. There has never been a report filed in the U.S. that claims razor blades were found in anything on Halloween. Thats what they said...

Now, my 4 1/2 year old up until saturday assured us he didn't want to go trick or treating welp. now we have a Power ranger costume and have to meet his cousins at my dads at 5:00 this evening. I'm figuring that the first person that come's to the door to hand out candy and is dressed for the part scares the hell out of him and it ends quick, why you ask because he still won't walk by those plastic animated 6 foot santa's in wal mart or any other store for that matter.

Been alot of years since i've taken a son trick or treating, my oldest two are 21 and 19 now, and now it's time to take their little brother. This oughta be fun

talk about ur age gap^^

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee
    They were talking about the razor blade thing the other night on the radio, they made it very clear that the razor blade story was a myth. There has never been a report filed in the U.S. that claims razor blades were found in anything on Halloween. Thats what they said...
    Yeah, and I can't tell you how surprised I was when I looked into that this morning. When I was a kid, it was just gospel that people came out in droves to kill your kids on Halloween (never mind that I'd never actually seen the news report that said so )
    More info here:
    http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/needles.asp
    Of course, now you're suppoed to watch out for all the perverts

Now, my 4 1/2 year old up until saturday assured us he didn't want to go trick or treating welp. now we have a Power ranger costume and have to meet his cousins at my dads at 5:00 this evening. I'm figuring that the first person that come's to the door to hand out candy and is dressed for the part scares the hell out of him and it ends quick, why you ask because he still won't walk by those plastic animated 6 foot santa's in wal mart or any other store for that matter.

Been alot of years since i've taken a son trick or treating, my oldest two are 21 and 19 now, and now it's time to take their little brother. This oughta be fun
    Lol!

How about this Kami: did the "contaminated food" thought even occur to you now that you're going out with a new generation of kid? Or is that whole scare thing just over with? Does anyone still get worried about that stuff anymore?

Meh, I still check every apple I eat for anything funny lookin. Guess old habits are just hard to brake or I'm just too paranoid.

when my others were going we'd check the stuff and sometimes even buy bags and hide them from the kids and "replaced" what they actually got.

But now i'm not worried because we live in the neighborhood I grew up in, same people I went to school with only older, so nothing to worry about here, and besides you oughta see his face he can't wait and I just can't say no, he's just to excited.

It'll be fun

and besides even tho the article says this and that it still never points to any actual police reports, doesn't give a single report or case number for any action it describes.
    Last edited by kamikazee; 10-31-2005 at 06:31 PM.

I've never heard of any kind of treat being contiminated or tampered with. Perverts on the other hand... I've seen that problem first hand. One year we got up on our roof to scare kids that came by the house. We dropped fake spiders or hands attached to strings when they came close to the door. We played scary sounds and stuff. We wore all black and painted any exposed skin. The point is... we were not seen.

Anyway... we reported some mid 20 year old man for following around a group of neighbor girls. An officer came and picked him up. I don't want to know what his intentions were but the fact that he was taken away in a squad car was enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Coda

Anyway... we reported some mid 20 year old man for following around a group of neighbor girls. An officer came and picked him up. I don't want to know what his intentions were but the fact that he was taken away in a squad car was enough for me.
    Now I know who the squeeler was...

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee
    when my others were going we'd check the stuff and sometimes even buy bags and hide them from the kids and "replaced" what they actually got.

But now i'm not worried because we live in the neighborhood I grew up in, same people I went to school with only older, so nothing to worry about here, and besides you oughta see his face he can't wait and I just can't say no, he's just to excited.

It'll be fun

and besides even tho the article says this and that it still never points to any actual police reports, doesn't give a single report or case number for any action it describes.
    I guess the world just moves on then. Oh well, I suppose that's one part of nostalgia that that I shouldn't be glad to see go

Out and back in about 30 minutes in the car. Not many people out and about. I guess that's how it is when you live in the country. Hit around 10 houses. The kids are happy. Now I got $15 of candy setting in backs by my front door waiting for someone to come and take them. Oh yeah, and no home made treats at all this year

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

Quote Originally Posted by dna
    Now I know who the squeeler was...

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Wow, I had a total of one kid come to my door last night. Looks like I got a lot of candy to get rid. I hope I'm up to the challenge - lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny
    Wow, I had a total of one kid come to my door last night. Looks like I got a lot of candy to get rid. I hope I'm up to the challenge - lol.
    ROFL I'll send my pregnant wife over to help

One of the benefits of apt. living..you dont need to go outside to trick or treat. so we hit up the whole building and came back with one measley bag of candy...In my days of youth many moons ago we would need to go home 2 or 3 times to empty our bags to make room for more and never a razor blade found