Page 170 of 172 FirstFirst ... 70120160166167168169170171172 LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 2569

Re: Welcome The Uncle B's.......

Quote Originally Posted by JokerCPoC View Post
    Shoot UB, Are Ya sure Ya don't have a Basement for the PCs?

Me If I were getting an upgrade It would be one of those i5 cpus and a P55 motherboard w/3 PCI-E slots.
    I need a board I can grow with for my main rig, this looked like most likely candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by scruff35 View Post
    Dang UB!!!! That`s some serious setup you got coming Tuesday. How yah been?

Thanks Red. I`m going to either pickup 3 XFX 4850`s(in the next few weeks). Like MJD1964 was saying about Milkyway points. Or wait till the new NVidia GPU`s come out in the fall.

Turkey turned out not to bad.
    I been sick as heck, Scruff, but draggin myself around. Glad to hear you are lookin to up the ante in da Fall!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

I hope you don't have what I had UB. The cold I had knocked me out for almost a month!

And I used to be able to tell you exactly how long my cold would last. One day with minor symptoms, then two days with it bad, followed by four to five days of symptoms disappearing at an inverted exponential rate.

Inverted exponential rate....Oh God I'm a geek!

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier View Post
    I hope you don't have what I had UB. The cold I had knocked me out for almost a month!

And I used to be able to tell you exactly how long my cold would last. One day with minor symptoms, then two days with it bad, followed by four to five days of symptoms disappearing at an inverted exponential rate.

Inverted exponential rate....Oh God I'm a geek!
    Horrible isn't It? Being a Geek that is.

Going to try a beef roast on the bbq later in the week.
    Take the beef and put in a large piece of aluminum foil. Add 1 thinly sliced onion and bell pepper. Next add a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce and wrap tightly. Put it on the grill and cook slowly for 3 - 4 hours. Cook some potatoes and corn on the cob on the grill too. When it is all done slice the beef thinly and use the sauce for the potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    I need a board I can grow with for my main rig, this looked like most likely candidate.

I been sick as heck, Scruff, but draggin myself around. Glad to hear you are lookin to up the ante in da Fall!
    That board is a definate keeper.

I hope you feel better soon, UB. The B`s will be a strong force again.

Quote Originally Posted by Big red View Post
    Take the beef and put in a large piece of aluminum foil. Add 1 thinly sliced onion and bell pepper. Next add a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce and wrap tightly. Put it on the grill and cook slowly for 3 - 4 hours. Cook some potatoes and corn on the cob on the grill too. When it is all done slice the beef thinly and use the sauce for the potatoes.
    Sounds yummy Red.

Thanks Red. I`m going to either pickup 3 XFX 4850`s(in the next few weeks). Like MJD1964 was saying about Milkyway points. Or wait till the new NVidia GPU`s come out in the fall.
    Dang, I missed this one. Don't try to make a decision until you are ready to buy. Here are a few facts.

1. Milkyway is the only project to run on ATI cards, but to do so it fools Boinc into thinking it is a Cpu app. In order to achieve maximum performance and points it needs to be the only project running on that machine. That is why I have 2 4850s running on older machines.

2. IMHO Seti doesn't give enough credit to justify putting a Cuda card on it.

3. GPUGrid is fairly stable And a GTX260 will get you about 16,000 a day.

4. Aqua is the only other Cuda project that I know of. I don't know about credit but I'll let you know as soon as I finish a few. These are really long ones.

5. The last one. With Nvidia, newest isn't always best. AFAIAK at the moment the GTX260 offers the best credits per buck. When buying Nvidia look carefully at the warranty as in how long do you plan to use this card for crunching. 1 yr, 2 yr or 5 years. Speed and the amount of memory are not as important as the number of shaders. Think mini cpus here. The GTX260s I use are the second generation with 216 shaders each.

Lecture over.

Thanks Red Some good info to think about first.

Dang, I missed this one. Don't try to make a decision until you are ready to buy. Here are a few facts.

1. Milkyway is the only project to run on ATI cards, but to do so it fools Boinc into thinking it is a Cpu app. In order to achieve maximum performance and points it needs to be the only project running on that machine. That is why I have 2 4850s running on older machines.

2. IMHO Seti doesn't give enough credit to justify putting a Cuda card on it.

3. GPUGrid is fairly stable And a GTX260 will get you about 16,000 a day.

4. Aqua is the only other Cuda project that I know of. I don't know about credit but I'll let you know as soon as I finish a few. These are really long ones.

5. The last one. With Nvidia, newest isn't always best. AFAIAK at the moment the GTX260 offers the best credits per buck. When buying Nvidia look carefully at the warranty as in how long do you plan to use this card for crunching. 1 yr, 2 yr or 5 years. Speed and the amount of memory are not as important as the number of shaders. Think mini cpus here. The GTX260s I use are the second generation with 216 shaders each.

Lecture over.
    On gpugrid I can get about 2.5 times that per day with My GTX 295 or about 41,947 and the 295 has 480 shaders, not a mere 216.

Quote Originally Posted by JokerCPoC View Post
    On gpugrid I can get about 2.5 times that per day with My GTX 295 or about 41,947 and the 295 has 480 shaders, not a mere 216.

Thanks for helping me make up my mind Joker.

I`ll wait till NVidia releases the GT212. Rumour has it that "GT212 to sport 384 shaders, 256-bit mem interface w/GDDR5 on TSMC's 40-nm manufacturing process"

With at least 1 GT212 in each of my 3 quads. A mere 480 shader count of a GTX will be no match.

Thanks Red Some good info to think about first.
    Glad it helped.

Scruff, here is the info for Aqua gpu. 1 WU finished on a GTX260 in about 4 days. Granted credit - 85,343 or about 50% better than GPUGrid. Workunits can get scarce though as they run in cycles.

Scruff, here is the info for Aqua gpu. 1 WU finished on a GTX260 in about 4 days. Granted credit - 85,343 or about 50% better than GPUGrid. Workunits can get scarce though as they run in cycles.

That`s some nice numbers Red. I think I`ll still wait till the Fall, for the GT212.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
    Sounds good, scruff!

I don't even have my 295 running at all, it's too damn hot upstairs atm. It's used soley for playing GRiD, which it does very well!

No, the I-7 is just an upgrade, not even so much for crunching as it is my main rig. Sure, it will crunch...duh, but it was about time to play with the 3 lane memory.
    I wanted something with water cooling and this fit the bill, yes cost was a big factor in waiting, but that's done now.

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz

EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 Extended ATX SLI Classified Hydro Copper Intel Motherboard

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Should be here Tuesday...
    Is this bad boy up and running yet UB?
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

Yes it is, Jay, but I haven't had a chance to post pics. I'm 5 into a 15 day stretch with 1 day off (tomorrow). I had to wipe the drive and reinstall everything, but it was for the best. This thing is a rock, too. I haven't even gotten to overclocking yet!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!