Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: raptor problems

Re: raptor problems

Quote Originally Posted by BWM
    PCI latency is just that, the PCI bus, on which the SATA controller is not. I'm more inclined to believe it isn't a latency proble, rather, a background service related problem. Something is accessing the disk, the graph isn't random enough to convince me otherwise.
    no, no...latency has everything to do with the 8237 southbridge..if the PCI bus is trying to communicate with the southbridge at the wrong time when the raid chipset is trying to do its thing, it would affect performance or throughput as the two are competing for resources!

Quote Originally Posted by Ace-a-Rue
    no, no...latency has everything to do with the 8237 southbridge..if the PCI bus is trying to communicate with the southbridge at the wrong time when the raid chipset is trying to do its thing, it would affect performance or throughput as the two are competing for resources!
    There will be competition regardless, the point is that the available Vmap bandwdth is much higher than PCI and SATA together require.

u r talking theoretical...what happens in real terms can be far apart from the white paper bandwidth!

u r talking theoretical...what happens in real terms can be far apart from the white paper bandwidth!
    No, in practice. I'm an engineer, have run VIA boards with the 8237 chip for quite a while now, equiped with IEEE488 bus interface cards that tax PCI much more than anything most people put in their systems and have no problems at all with PCI or SATA operation.

i think u r comparing apples to oranges...the 488 has a 1.5mb/s rate and raid that is trying to achieve 300 Gb/s...no competition there!

CORRECTION:...I MEANT TO SAY 3000 MB/S OR 3 GB/S
    Last edited by Ace-a-Rue; 11-08-2005 at 11:15 PM.

I always use two, sometimes three. We're talking bandwidth here, not speed, there is a difference with multiple devices on a bus. Anyway, I'm simply presenting VIA's own info, relating what I know and my own personal experiences with the chip.

well to cut back some of the debate I have tried running the system with nothing but the vid card, memory, proc, and all the integrated stuff shut off. This makes NO difference. I am sure it is not a background process as well. As i said earlier, it was benched with a fresh install with nothing but drivers installed.

Try another clean install with 32k for the stripe size and cluster sizes. That's a combination most of us are familiar with that I don't think has been seen behaving that way.

i guess we will agree to disagree....anyway, different point of views on what might be causing the above problem.....could be a bad raid chipset and all our discussion is null and void

which OS r u using and what SP?

CORRECTION: sorry BWM...i meant that for crocker84...
    Last edited by Ace-a-Rue; 11-09-2005 at 08:42 AM.

which OS r u using and what SP?
    XP Pro SP2. I don't run RAID-0, btw. I'm speaking in terms of what we've been seeing here for a few years now, and thus accept as normal for the chipset based on that.

Quote Originally Posted by crocker84
    I just got two 36 gig raptors and i have an Abit av8 motherboard. Everything is hooked up and running but i am having problems with the benchmarks. i am running the raptors in raid 0 with the built in via raid controller on the motherboard. my hd tach scores do not look like the one that are built in as reference. the line jumps up and down constantly. They burst good at about 180 but it doesn't hold anywhere near constant. Falling into the 60's and back to 180 about 15 times in the test. Does this sound familiar to anyone? The graph looks like a sawtooth sinusoidal.
    which OS and SP r u currently using with ur raptors?

windows xp pro sp2

any success trying lower stripes?

how about VIA's Raid drivers?...r u using the latest release?

do u have the latest board bios installed?

did u try using a a very high PCI latency setting, like 254 or 255?