Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy HELP - Constant Beeps on Boot up.

Rig is as follows :

608 Black ATX Mid Tower, 500 Watts Power Supply + 20 to 24 Pin ATX Converter.

CHAINTECH VNF4/Ultra Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

Used Arctic Silver 5.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor

CORSAIR Value Select 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

2 X HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 HDS728080PLA380 -0A30356 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Runing Raid 0 at 3.0GB/s - Utility from Hitachi works well.

XFX PV-T70G-UDF7 Geforce 7800 GT Overclocked PCI Express 256MB DDR Video Card

Link Depot Black DVI-D male to DVI-D male dual link Cable Model DVI-6-DD - OEM

Logitech X-530 70 watts 5.1 Speaker

20 to 24 Pin ATX Converter.

The system worked fine for 6 hours of playing only... Temps before going to bed were 46C on Video card and 34C on CPU. These were actually LOWER (by 4/2 degrees respective) than when I first booted up... (I have 4 Rosewill RFA80L fans running) This morining the system just BEEPS. I tried the jumper reset as the MB book suggests. Also beeps the same without the video card and or the ram connected.... Sigh at least I got six hours of gaming in... I have not done any OC'ing as I wanted to let the system run for a few days to make sure all was stable.

Thank you for readin my long thread. I wanted as much info as possible to help you guys and gals help me... Thanks Again.

OZ_Overlord

Re: HELP - Constant Beeps on Boot up.

When you cleared CMOS, did you unplug the power supply from the motherboard? If not, try that, then remove the battery and set the CMOS jumper to the clear position and wait about a half-hour. While you wait, double check all your connections.

The other thing is that, as a general rule, the power supplies bundled with cases are pretty crummy, so I wonder if that unit you have decided to kick the bucket.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Did you get it going?

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I have tried another power supply as well as following Big BMans ideas. Sigh. No difference....

I also removed the CPU to see if there were any issues. Reseated and still the nevre ending BEEEEEP. I had no errors when running or upon shut down. I guese the Motherboard is Dead ???? I do not have another 939 to test the CPU however. ANy more ideas before I go crazy.
    Thank You

OZ_Overlord, you did a great job on your first post!! If everyone posted this way, it would make helping much easier!

Sounds like your memory timings are skewed. Have you tried booting with just 1 stick of RAM??

If you can boot, I'd use MemTest to see if there are problems with a stick.
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Thank You all for your ideas.

Sigh... Running either stick of ram made no difference.

I am sending the mother board back for replacement and am hoping this is the problem. I have insufficient gear to test the CPU or RAM elsewhere. I thank all of you for your ideas and shall keep checking out this site...

Thanks again for all your input.

Somewhere hot and dusty, with lots of sin.

Keyboard.
    Never trust a programmer with a screwdriver, if he starts talking about sonic ones, RUN!!
    Run faster and further then you've ever run before!!

It's too much work to update my specs in a sig, it's a 6 core budget build. If you must know, it's in my profile.

OK, OZ. Let us know how you make out, OK?
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

Somewhere hot and dusty, with lots of sin.

O.K. I was excessively taciturn earlier.

O.Z. try a diferent keyboard.
    Last edited by PaulDriver; 11-15-2005 at 04:08 PM. Reason: SPELLING
    Never trust a programmer with a screwdriver, if he starts talking about sonic ones, RUN!!
    Run faster and further then you've ever run before!!

It's too much work to update my specs in a sig, it's a 6 core budget build. If you must know, it's in my profile.

But you were undiametrically truncated, so it's all good!!

Spoiler!

I put it all back together and got lucky and found the problem.... ONE of the RAM Chips IS DEAD... I ran this test earlier, however since then cleared the cmos between trying each stick.... This defies logic, BUT I AM UP AND RUNNING on 512mb... I shall look into the best ram for this motherboard. Thank you to 'PaulDrive'. Though the keyboard was not the problem it got me to put it all back together to retest. Whilst together I ran through a check list and retested everything and well, after an hour or so.... here I am. Thank you everyone... I am interested in which ram is best for this motherboard.... Thank You Thank You

If you want DDR, you should get another stick of the same you have now. They don't need to be "matched", but the same size, type and specs is important. How much you want to spend?

Spoiler!

I am after dual channel. I am thinking of 2x1GB as these boards (as per chaintech) do not recommend using all for slots. I shall check out newegg and see what I can do about my returning my ram.... thank you all....