Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Need a motherboard suggestion for this.

I did some searching, but had trouble finding something that would fit my needs. Someone gave me a Biostar motherboard, but it didn't have a BIOS chip so I couldn't use it, otherwise it would have worked fine.

Here's the things I NEED to have in this motherboard:

1. AMD Athlon XP+ processor, Socket A / 462, as fast as possible on a 266 FSB. 2200-2400-2600, something like that. Motherboard BIOS must support it. In the case of this computer, I don't need or want to upgrade to Socket 754, 939, 940, or 64 bit anything.

2. Motherboard MUST use PC133 SDRAM, as I bought 1 GB (2X512) of SDRAM for the Biostar before I realized that getting a new BIOS chip was not worth the trouble and cost. Motherboard must support at least 1 GB of RAM.

3. MUST be Micro ATX form factor, as I have 3 Micro ATX computer cases sitting here.

Things of lesser importance. Would be nice if the motherboard had some or all of them, but not absolutely necessary:

On board sound & video, FireWire ports, a couple USB ports (1.1 or 2.0, no big deal). AGP 2x / 4x for an add-on video card.

I won't need RAID or SATA. A plain IDE setup will be fine.

It would be nice if the board has some good overclocking options available.

I'd like to stick with a better brand, like Abit / Asus or whatever, but they didn't have much that would fit my needs. I'll research all suggestions and pick the best one. It would be good if the motherboard was not too old to be RMA'd.

Thanks.
    See "Online Video", the newest webshow on the internet, only at www.loudmouthtim.com !

Re: Need a motherboard suggestion for this.

You're really limiting yourself with all the conditions. I think the only place you will find this old stuff now is maybe at swap meets and occasionally on Ebay. No online retailers will stock that stuff any more.

Just for grins I did a search on Ebay and found a couple hits:

http://cgi.ebay.com/361BS-AZZA-Socke...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/EPox-EP-KL-133ML...QQcmdZViewItem

This guy had some other boards too, not much time left on some of them:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdonnieduckmanQQhtZ-1

Wow, all I can say is good luck on this one

Hmmm, I didn't know my restrictions were that restrictive. I'll have to be less picky. Like maybe a motherboard that takes PC133 SDRAM, at least 1 GB, and fits in a Micro ATX case.

Then get whatever else I need to make it work.

I'll have to search for another Biostar board of the same model, that would do it.
    See "Online Video", the newest webshow on the internet, only at www.loudmouthtim.com !

I've been looking on ebay, and it does seem like I'm asking a lot. There are many choices for boards that use DDR memory, so maybe I'll sell these 512 MB PC133 sticks and find something much newer.

I found one Biostar motherboard of the same model and the jackass selling it thought he was going to get $20 for the shipping! So I said no way.

Quote Originally Posted by TimK225
    maybe I'll sell these 512 MB PC133 sticks and find something much newer.
    Good idea.