Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Microsoft attacks enthusiasts

Apparently, MS decided some time in the last month that they would be out to get those of us who are enthusiasts. It appears that if you have XP OEM and upgrade your motherboard, you now have to buy a new liscense to Windows XP OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by http://download.microsoft.com/download/B/C/6/BC673463-9400-4E79-963A-F90D7200D223/G03009_MS4_Battle_CRD.pdf
    Operating system transferability: Windows Desktop operating systems preinstalled on a PC by an OEM or system builder
    cannot be transferred or reassigned to another machine. The license is always tied to the original PC on which it was installed, even if the
    PC is no longer in use.
    An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal computer" to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced, for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created and the license of new operating system software is required.

If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the end-user license agreement (EULA) and the support of the software covered by that EULA. The EULA is a set of usage rights granted to the end-user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The System Builder is required to support the software on that individual PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PC with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original System Builder, therefore, can not be expected to support this new PC that they in effect, did not manufacture.
    That's a sweet rig in your sig, but does it fold?

DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages freedom.'

Re: Microsoft attacks enthusiasts

Wow... that's another 'ouch' to add to MS list! Sheesh... Sony and Microsoft... out to protect their hineys together! Yuck... makes me mad... so hardware upgrades will be ever more expensive?!!

I hope mobo companies are out there looking out for us... (and their own as we won't upgrade nearly as much if this sticks!).
    Father of Two wonderful but destructive kids!
    Peter's Blah-g
    ======================================
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0 GHz 333x9
    OCZ GameXtream 600W|Antec NSK2480
    G.Skill 2GB PC2 6400|GIGABYTE GA-G33M-S2L
    Intel 3100|Sceptre x22wg-Gamer 22" LCD|Logitech G5

I guess Bill isn't rich enough....

Man! Gentoo is looking better and better....

If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC.
    note the key word here

I don't know how many times I have replaced a defective mobo....it was defective, I swear (could not run fast enough)
    Last edited by StompinRound; 11-28-2005 at 02:35 PM.

Yeah, I think MS would be phoning you about your "Licensing problem" pretty quickly if you had 3 MBs in a year...

Quote Originally Posted by Annirak
    Yeah, I think MS would be phoning you about your "Licensing problem" pretty quickly if you had 3 MBs in a year...
    Well, i generally only upgrade the mobo, maybe once a year..

you can even tell them wild stuff too...

when they ask you what you did to make the activation thing go off, tell them like i did last time.

"Uh, well i put in a new processor fan, and i left the video card unplugged, when i turned it back on, it was there. I turned it off and plugged the video card back in and rebooted it. It was still there..so i called. Does this kind of thing happen a lot?" ( i was not lying, I actually did this...)

the reply was

"Sometimes, not sure what happened, let me get you a new product ID"

"Do I need to write this down, if i need to reinstall?"

"No, if the hardware string is the same it will remain activated after reinstalling, if it does not, just call us back and we will help you"

"OK, thank you very much"

"Thank you for using Microsoft, is there anything else I can help you with today?"

The real story....

EDIT: I decided to remove this part for "you never know" reasons
    Last edited by StompinRound; 11-29-2005 at 12:09 PM.

well, all I'm saying is that what microsoft doesn't know, won't hurt them...
    3v1l l337
    Athlon X2 3800+ @2.6 GHz 1.4 vcore
    TT Big Typhoon
    2x512 DDR 400 2.5-3-3-7 1T@ 216MHz
    Evga NF4 Mobo (rebranded jetway)
    evga 7800GT@stock currently
    80GB SATA

Dreams are like appendixes. Utterly useless, and rarely deadly...

WTS "WANG" x1 PST

Well change out mobo smash the old one into little pieces then tell m$ that there was a defect

If I'm reading this correctly, the oem version is, and always was, designed for system builders who then gave support, the retail packs should then mean Ms gives support to the end user, so if you feel the need to upgrade a mobo 3 or 4 times a year it would make sense to buy a retail upgrade pack, again if I'm reading this correctly, that should give you the license to use Xp on your 1 Pc, oem + retail upgrade, whatever the hardware, correct ?
    Fold with what you have,
    Every Work Unit can make a difference.

If you buy a retail package for the $400CAD it costs, then yes, you have the right to transfer it as much as you want.

Correction: you do *not* explicitly have the right to transfer the retail version. You can transfer it to another user, however. Therefore, you have to sell it to yourself to satisfy the EULA.

From what they mailed to me, the only thing that has changed is that the requirement to buy hardware with a single pack OEM license has been dropped. Also the reselling of an opened pack. This is what they mailed out:

click

AFAIK, those rules about the transferability have always been there for OEM packs.
    Last edited by Senor Panadero; 11-29-2005 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Annirak
    Correction: you do *not* explicitly have the right to transfer the retail version. You can transfer it to another user, however. Therefore, you have to sell it to yourself to satisfy the EULA.
    ROFL!! "sell it to [myself]"!!!
    Father of Two wonderful but destructive kids!
    Peter's Blah-g
    ======================================
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0 GHz 333x9
    OCZ GameXtream 600W|Antec NSK2480
    G.Skill 2GB PC2 6400|GIGABYTE GA-G33M-S2L
    Intel 3100|Sceptre x22wg-Gamer 22" LCD|Logitech G5

A friend of mine who's a system builder is the one who alerted me to this. *shrug*

I can tell you from personal experience that MS hasn't cared. They may start caring once that WGA authentication gets going.

I always buy my MS os's with a hard drive. You (if you ask around) get the oem price 100-120 US, about the same price as an upgrade. So the hard drive is almost "free", ie around 200US out the door.
    Also if you have any old windows around, put in an upgrade cd, when it asks, show it an old cd, then you can do a fresh install, with no trace of the old os. The "full" and "upgrade" cd's are identicle except for that one section of code.
    Last edited by TheGlasMan; 11-30-2005 at 05:22 PM.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)