Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Microsoft attacks enthusiasts

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan
    Also if you have any old windows around, put in an upgrade cd, when it asks, show it an old cd, then you can do a fresh install, with no trace of the old os. The "full" and "upgrade" cd's are identicle except for that one section of code.
    Been there, did that, dont work with XP. I got stuck with Windows XP home upgrade CD. What I did was fresh install of Windows 98 SE then right after Win 98 install I zaped with the XP upgrade CD.

I have been giving Billy his props, but 300 dollars in OS. I'm only a auto parts delivery driver. Gotta make a choice wanta eat or wanta an OS.

I'm always saying to a coworker who a pretty good mechanic "I wish I had your knowlege of cars" he say to me "I wish I had your knowledge of computers."

Quote Originally Posted by Dougster
    Been there, did that, dont work with XP. I got stuck with Windows XP home upgrade CD. What I did was fresh install of Windows 98 SE then right after Win 98 install I zaped with the XP upgrade CD....
    I don't know what went wrong for you, but I do this for various customers about 3 times a month. Works every time. I would consider it a major bummer to have to load 98 in order to install the upgrade.

Worked for me as well (xp home,sp2) with osr2 disk, (had a me upgrade that was on it before, same way) this was all after formatting of course. I think the me upgrade would have worked as well, but I'm nostalgic about osr2 so I pull it out whenever I can.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGlasMan
    Worked for me as well (xp home,sp2) with osr2 disk, (had a me upgrade that was on it before, same way) this was all after formatting of course. I think the me upgrade would have worked as well, but I'm nostalgic about osr2 so I pull it out whenever I can.
    Load it up on something! I still have a Celeron 500 (emachine) that runs OS/2 Warp 4.

All I have to say is that Corporate/Enterprise software is a beautiful thing...without it, I'd be running Linux only.

Quote Originally Posted by wdb1966
    All I have to say is that Corporate/Enterprise software is a beautiful thing...without it, I'd be running Linux only.

OSR2..... Yah I remember needing to re-install that very often. Also as I recal if you disabled the "new active desktop" you would get a consistant 25% performance gain on the hardware of that era. But it was twice as stable as the first release of win95 (whatever that's worth)

You've never reloaded xp? I enjoyed osr2 much more tha the original, and used it through ME's defunkness despite everyones attempts to make it obsolete. I managed to keep it running effeciently until XP sp1 was released. Of course, then I had to disable all XP's wasters to run it well. Still have them disabled with my current, much more up to date system.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I was the same way with 98SE which I used untill I finaly broke down and installed XP SP2. I was never a big fan of MS untill XP SP1 and later which are in my opinion the first real OS that MS has produced. Also yes I've reinstalled XP a number of times, and the clean upgrade install without installing the original OS is the perfered method. It works well and only requires that you provide the original install CD from whatever you used to have for XP to read and verify.

(Afterburner edited this post)
    Last edited by TimK225; 12-15-2005 at 07:12 PM.
    See "Online Video", the newest webshow on the internet, only at www.loudmouthtim.com !