Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: hey mods, i need a favor

i already have run them 2 times in the past 3 days

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

see, i just can spyboy again (i ran it yesterday) and it got 34 items.

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

you may have some really bad spyware that has infected your registry. Try running them in safe mode. Also run msconfig and disable any startup items that you don't need. If you are running Win2k you can download it, just google msconfig.

Be sure to try it in safe mode because some spyware will readd itself after you remove it in windows.
    Richard Franklin
    TogaPC
    Texas Operational Gurus and Associates
    Owner/Operator

Quote Originally Posted by TogaPC
    you may have some really bad spyware that has infected your registry. Try running them in safe mode. Also run msconfig and disable any startup items that you don't need. If you are running Win2k you can download it, just google msconfig.

Be sure to try it in safe mode because some spyware will readd itself after you remove it in windows.

so if i run it in safe mode, it will clean it out of the registry?

also, i have a gateway computer.. i totally forget what button gets it into safemode.. would you happen to know>?

thanks

push F8 at startup before the windows boot screen and select safe mode.

Running safe mode only runs windows essential tasks. Nothing (including spyware) will load in safe mode...just windows. Then by running spybot and ad-aware you remove the spyware and entries in the registry. Since they didn't load at windows startup they can't add them selves back in after words.

If that doesn't work Google Avert Stinger and run it on your pc. If that doesn't work Download Avast! Antivirus for free on www.majorgeeks.com and run a boot time scan.

If all else fails reinstall windows...Lol
    Richard Franklin
    TogaPC
    Owner/Operator

Some other helpful programs (for free of course) are

Registry Repair
    Cleanup
    Hijack This!

All available at www.majorgeeks.com...For FREE!!
    Richard Franklin
    TogaPC
    Owner/Operator

unplug your modem for a few minutes, plug it back in and then try a release/renew see if that doesn't give you anew IP.

And try posting your specific issue at our Spyware Forum

Quote Originally Posted by kamikazee
    unplug your modem for a few minutes, plug it back in and then try a release/renew see if that doesn't give you anew IP.
    this is what i need to do to get my conection back.

also, since i have a static ip, it doesnt change.

i need to keep doing ipconfig release and renews untill my ipconfig /all tells me when my ip lease expires.

Then i unplug my modem, and it usually changes my IP (that is what i did for the purpose of this thread) but i guess it didnt work

Com'on Pimp...kill the spyware and get connected...I wanna see some pics.
    Richard Franklin
    TogaPC
    Owner/Operator

Ive never been able to get a new ip addy on a cable connection simply by unpluging the modem [hence the name static ip]
    On dsl sure...you get a fresh addy at reboot usually...but not cable.

I think Id focus more on the spyware issue [so a thread there] and see what happens from there. With the speeds you get pimp...I dont think its an ip addy issue.
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 12-12-2005 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzinsocal
    Ive never been able to get a new ip addy on a cable connection simply by unpluging the modem [hence the name static ip]
    On dsl sure...you get a fresh addy at reboot usually...but not cable.

I think Id focus more on the spyware issue [so a thread there] and see what happens from there. With the speeds you get pimp...I dont think its an ip addy issue.

i was able to do this once.

what happens is that your ip will expire, but you will keep the same one.

but if your modem is disconnected when it expires, it goes into the "ip pool" and the next person to sign on, or get a different ip will get one from the pool (hopefully yours) and you will get assigned a new one.

(but that is just how i understand it)

is it possible for you to try and ping my ip? (just to see if my firewall is working)

if not, its cool.

thanks

Probably easier for you to do a test like at Gibson Research...they can pick apart your connection and any vulnerabilities.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

dsl reports does similar...they can check hops etc
    Last edited by jimzinsocal; 12-12-2005 at 07:24 PM.

Another tool I used to use

http://www.visualroute.com/

You have a spyware problem. Like Jimz says, you won't accomplish anything until you knock that down. From your description, It probably can't be removed automatically. Likely it has a process running (that you won't be able to stop) that monitors its state and rebuilds if anything is removed.

If you want that fixed here, go to the sticky in the STV forum, download Hijackthis, put it in a folder somewhere and run it. Paste the contents of the log in a new thread in the STV forum.