Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Re: 150 Gig Raptor Review!

and from benchmarks it seems the non windowed variant is best correct? Surprisingly enough it seems the one tailored for single user use is doing worse. Perhaps the database isn't accurate, updated or was guessed upon for its results? Like I said I want to order asap but want the best performance. Seeing as though WD won't allow us to flash the firmware on the drive I don't want to be screwed in the end.
    Modded Antec P160 w/ OCZ Powerstream 600w
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D->SLI w/ VC-RE (Bios 406BTA)
    X2 4800+ w/ TT Big Typhoon w/ Panaflo H1A
    2GB OCZ PC4000 Platinum EB
    2 X WD 150GB Raptor Raid 0
    2 X Hitachi T7K250 250GB SATA2
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Powercolor X1900XTX w/ Accelero X2
    BFG Physx PPU w/ Vantec Iceberq4 Pro
    Samsung 204B
    Logitech G15 + MX518 w/ Everglide Ricochet mat + skates
    APC RS1200 UPS

Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous
    and from benchmarks it seems the non windowed variant is best correct? Surprisingly enough it seems the one tailored for single user use is doing worse. Perhaps the database isn't accurate, updated or was guessed upon for its results? Like I said I want to order asap but want the best performance. Seeing as though WD won't allow us to flash the firmware on the drive I don't want to be screwed in the end.
    The differences are far too small to make any real-world difference, it is very unlikely to been felt or otherwise sensed during normal use of the system, or in games. I know I certainly wouldn't pay extra for the windowed version based on those ratings.

ok thanks for your pro opinion. My drives are mounted laying down, and having 4 of them in a system piled atop each other I wouldn't see the window anyways. If the performance is too negligible to nitpick about then I guess I will just get the non windowed variant this week. 2 of them for raid to be exact. I have to ask though since I know you are a stickler for the low access times as I am. Even with the slightly higher access times of the 150GB raptor over the FLCO variant of the 74GB Raptor would you still say the 150 would be 'percieved' and 'felt' as faster due to perhaps increased cache or a better optimized firmware etc? If I am not really going to 'feel' the difference over my current 74GB's well then that is another story. Basically I am wondering if you feel the 150 is a worthy UPGRADE from the 74GB model even if only slightly. Better is better in my eyes but with the higher access times I wonder if the other difference are going to make up enough for it to be worth a buy. Remember, I don't care how small the upgrade as long as there is on and hopefully one that will be noticed outside of benching.
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Samsung 204B
    APC RS1200 UPS

Yes indeed sir. Although the substantial jump in performance the 150 gig model has is manifested on STR rates at the cost of a little access time, it is the firmware that makes up the difference, and then some. A drive's firmware really is a more important factor in overall performance than it is given credit for.

Excellent! I will be picking up a pair very shortly then. Thanks for your responses.
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Samsung 204B
    APC RS1200 UPS

You're welcome. And I'm sure you will be very pleased.

I hope so! Especially for the price two is going to cost me! I am still worried about the higher access time because my current 74GB get anywhere from 7.6-7.8 max which is a lot better than 8.3 I am seeing on the 150 giggers.
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Samsung 204B
    APC RS1200 UPS

That bothers me as well. In fact, I'd like to see it in the 5 ms area, but that would drive up the cost even more

I was wondering if they kept it as high as they did because of cost or perhaps because it wasn't possible due to the design or mechanics of the drive. I would pay more for faster, after all, people who buy these drives want speed right? They are already paying a pretty penny for these drives, what is a few more dollars? I wasn't expecting much better than the latest revision 74GB raptors to be honest but was hoping it would at least match it in the less than 8 ms area, <7.8 or so would be fantastic with the new cache, greater density or better optimized firmware. I just hope I won't feel the slower access time on the new drives over the slightly faster older ones. Do you think it will be noticeable or the other enhancements will positively offset this? I love how snappy windows and program loading is on the 74GB raptors and except nothing but the same with the new drives. I know 8.3ms is still far lower than the average drive but it isn't 7.8 either. Perhaps I am nitpicking but hey. I know the initial noticing of anything goes unoticed when you are fully used to it so I dunno, maybe it will seem slower however you will adapt and never think twice?
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Samsung 204B
    APC RS1200 UPS

I'm reasonably sure that the larger cache and firmware optomizations will offset the slower access time, especially in the gamer version, but of course we'll have to wait and see. I really don't think it will be perceptable during normal use. Also, don't forget that in SR's performance database, you can select the type of usage patterns that your drive will usually see in the drop-down menu. It has some effect on the rankings but overall, it stays at or near the top of the heap. The scale factor of the charts is another thing people should keep in mind. They exagerate what are actually pretty small differences in performance, in terms of percentages. I think a lot of people are taken in somewhat in that regard.

HI BMW, thanks again for the response.

It is funny how you mentioned the gamer version offsetting the slower access times due to the other enhancements. Every comparison I see of the 'gamer x version' to the original 150 release shows it slower. I think in 2 tests it has higher, but even then not by much. Big deal. What I am wondering is this. Does anyone know FOR SURE if NCQ is enabled or disabled by default on these drives? The bios on my board has no control so I will have to do it through the disk properties in control panel device manager which isn't a big deal, but what about this TLER business? Is that enabled by default? Is there any way to disable it? I am picking them up tomorrow. I have just made notes on every benchmark that I ran on my current 74GB setup. I created an image of my current boot partition of the 74's using Acronis and plan on restoring that exact image to the 150gb raptors tomorrow when they are mounted. I will then run the benchmarks again and compare to see where I gained and lost on this 'upgrade'. Ill keep you posted.
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Samsung 204B
    APC RS1200 UPS

I'm not 100% sure if NCQ and/or TLER are on by default or not right now, but I think they are. It isn't going to make a perceptable difference in normal use but it a good question so I'll see what I can find out.

They're both ON by default on the standard version. Can't find the info on the gaming version. I don't think it is anything to worry about though.
    Last edited by BWM; 02-28-2006 at 07:42 PM.

Well I can turn off NCQ through device manager but TLER I have no clue. Rumour had it a utility was to be released to toggle this feature but nothing ever surfaced. Does TLER have any overhead like NCQ that would affect performance?

As well, should read and/or write cache be enabled or disabled for 24/7 use?
    Pioneer DVR-111L DVD-RW
    Creative X-Fi Fatality
    Samsung 204B
    APC RS1200 UPS

Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous
    Well I can turn off NCQ through device manager but TLER I have no clue. Rumour had it a utility was to be released to toggle this feature but nothing ever surfaced. Does TLER have any overhead like NCQ that would affect performance?
    Not that I know of.

As well, should read and/or write cache be enabled or disabled for 24/7 use?
    I would definately have both enabled, 24/7 or not. Having a good reliable UPS is always a good idea as well, more so on drives with a 16 meg cache, as it takes just a hair longer to flush it (write back) to the media on power down.