One speaker is louder than the other?????

I have the Logitech Z-3 speakers, and when I play music, the right speaker is louder than the left speaker. The right speaker has more full sound, more bass, just more sound. How can I fix this? I thought it might be the song, but it is not. Also it is not the fader or balance. The right and left speaker are at the same levels.
    Any ideas?
    AMD Athlon XP2500 Barton O/C to 3200+
    Shuttle AN35N-Ultra 400
    2x512MB Mushkin PC3200
    PNY Ti4200 64mb 8x

Re: One speaker is louder than the other?????

This onboard sound, or what?
    Rig:

Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma @ 3360 Ghz @ 1.475V (14.5x223)
    (NB: 2240, HT: 2015)
    Gigabyte MA-790X-UD4P
    Sparkle GeForce 9800 GTX+ (755core, 1350 mem)
    Onboard sound (yuck)
    4GBs Mushkin DDR800 (6/6/6/18/24 @ 928mhz)
    2x74GBs RAID 0
    2xWD 1TB HD RAID 1
    Plexter DVD Burner
    Rosewill 530W

Yes this is onboard sound from my Shuttle AN35N. I don't remember this happening before, sot hat is why I think it is and isolated problem
    AMD Athlon XP2500 Barton O/C to 3200+
    Shuttle AN35N-Ultra 400
    2x512MB Mushkin PC3200
    PNY Ti4200 64mb 8x

Is the speaker connected digitally or using normal mini-stereo cables? If using normal cables then:

1) Check the cables are connected firmly and do not wobble where they connect into the pc. If possible do this whilst music is playing to test the connection is good.

2) try plugging headphones into the pc instead of the speakers. Do you still find one side is louder than the other? If both sides sound the same then the problem is probably the speaker cables. If the problem still occurs with headphones plugged into the speaker port then your speakers are okay and the problem is with the pc. Make sure you plug the headphones into the same port you had the speakers plugged in, and not any special headphone plug on the front.

3) if your pc has a headphone plug as well as a speaker plug then try listening to music using the headphones plugged into it. If the sound is okay then the problem is most likely hardware (see step 7), if the sound is still uneven then it is almost certainly a software problem (ie drivers). Plug the speakers back in and unplug the headphones from the front and continue...

4) if the sound is still uneven then open up your windows volume control [control panel]->[sounds and audio devices]->[speaker settings at bottom of panel]->[speaker volume]. Check both sliders are at the same setting and that one is not higher than the other.

5) Still in the [sounds and audio devices] control panel, in the [device volume] panel on the front click the [advanced] button and make sure all the volumes have their balance set to the middle. If necessary alter the [play control] balance whilst listening to music and see how this affects things.

6) Check you don't have any other volume control programs running. If so make sure the speaker balance is in the middle with any of these (if they are running).

7) If that does not resolve the issue it is possible that (a) your sound drivers are fubar or (b) the connecter on the computer is possibly faulty. Try gently touching the stereo jack where it plugs into your pc and see if it causes the stereo balance to change. If so then (b) is likely the case. This is a worst case scenario as it may involve an RMA/electrical repair to replace the connector on the pc.

8) If not then you may wish to uninstall your sound drivers, reboot and install the latest updates. Even if you are using the latest drivers you should reinstall them incase some files got messed up. I have had this happen with my audigy2 after a game crashed and had to reinstall the soundcard to fix it.

If you have not fixed the problem by this point then post back.

This rough step by step guide should help you find what the cause of the problem is, and should fix the most likely causes of the problem.
    holy cow it's all gone pear shaped

If you've recently moved your audio system to a different location it may be the room that is making the sound seem louder in one side than another. That's just if your system has been moved.

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring Banaaaaana phone

Last edited by a cat : yesterday at 05-11-2004 at 11:09 AM