Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"Being Slick isn't always being right"

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9546998/...eek/from/RL.5/

Heh. TLR should be Mandatory for all HS students!!
    -TMack

"Forgive everyone for everything"

Re: "Being Slick isn't always being right"

Actually, I think it should be that college is mandatory for all TLR posters. We'd actually have people who would think for themselves and have basic grammar skills.

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    Actually, I think it should be that college is mandatory for all TLR posters. We'd actually have people who would think for themselves and have basic grammar skills.
    LOL!

I guess my purpose for starting this thread has more to do with the fact that I've got a very sheltered (private Christian School for 12 years) 18 year old about to go off to college.
    I have begged him over and over to join the debate club at school. Or Drama club.
    [He wants no part of either.] Sheesh. They are going to run roughshod over him. :-(
    -TMack

Quote Originally Posted by TMack409
    LOL!

I guess my purpose for starting this thread has more to do with the fact that I've got a very sheltered (private Christian School for 12 years) 18 year old about to go off to college.
    I have begged him over and over to join the debate club at school. Or Drama club.
    [He wants no part of either.] Sheesh. They are going to run roughshod over him. :-(
    Is he going private or public? Degree desired? Specialty?
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Basic grammer skills hu?

Malcolm Forbes once said, "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one." Getting away from parents and an overbearing religious education is good for a person. Getting free from indocrination, learning to make up your own ideas and back them up along with the development of social (and drinking) skills are some of the major benefits of going to college. I wouldn't worry. He'll learn to adapt.

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    Getting free from indocrination.......

I find that particularly humorous when talking about someone going to College/University.

I agree that it SHOULD be the job of the Teacher/Instructor/Professor to teach the course and encourage the student to look at things from various angles. It seems that the current standard practice for these campus's is NOT to "open ones mind" to different points of view, but to INDOCTRINATE those students to that Teacher/Instructor/Professor's point of view.....and it's usually a Liberal one.
    There are none so blind as those who will not see!

^^^ I was thinking the same thing... get free of indoctrination... go to college, join a fraternity, sign up for the football team, learn how to pick up girls and drink from plastic cups...

He'll learn the valuable society lessons that college has to teach us all.....procrastination, cramming, waiting til the last minute, consuming your body weight in beer, and of course, how to make a bong out of anything :-)

Trekrider,

What college have you attended recently that would back up the impression that you've been given?

Or Dutch.
    Promote then, as an object of primary importance, institutions for the general diffusion of knowledge. In proportion as the structure of a government gives force to public opinion, it is essential that public opinion should be enlightened.

Quote Originally Posted by trekrider
    I find that particularly humorous when talking about someone going to College/University.

I agree that it SHOULD be the job of the Teacher/Instructor/Professor to teach the course and encourage the student to look at things from various angles. It seems that the current standard practice for these campus's is NOT to "open ones mind" to different points of view, but to INDOCTRINATE those students to that Teacher/Instructor/Professor's point of view.....and it's usually a Liberal one.
    Agree. 100%.

Yeah, I actually thought my conservatism would have rubbed off on him by now. And it has for the most part. But then someone showed him Michael Moore's Farenheight 911 during the last election cycle and he really bought into it....until I turned around and showed him Farenhype 911. ONly then did he understand the true meaning of being slick.

But I still say he's extremely vulnerable... to the likes of Michael Moore. (Which is why I really wanted him to study Drama - which again, he wanted no part of!)

Oh, FWIW, he's looking seriously at Auburn University. But he can't seem to make up his mind.......
    -TMack

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan
    Or Dutch.
    There's no need to exploit your youth and inexperience by blabbing about my college life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchcedar
    There's no need to exploit your youth and inexperience by blabbing about my college life.
    Way not to answer the challenge there, Dutch. Why don't you tell us the last time you in college and where? For all your claiming of "liberals" being out of touch with reality, why not share with us how well tuned you are? Or would you prefer just to continue the personal attacks and logical fallacies?

Quote Originally Posted by TMack409
    ONly then did he understand the true meaning of being slick.
    Are you saying that Farenhype is truth? It's merely the Right's Farenheit 911.

And I don't think you'll have to worry about your son becoming liberal at Auburn, hahaha. Alabama and liberalism don't exactly go together. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangutan
    Way not to answer the challenge there, Dutch. Why don't you tell us the last time you in college and where? For all your claiming of "liberals" being out of touch with reality, why not share with us how well tuned you are? Or would you prefer just to continue the personal attacks and logical fallacies?
    Challenge?

My college experience was before your time, pup.

And to my knowledge of liberals being out of touch comes from experience... I used to be one.

Wake me up when you learn to tell a joke from a personal attack.