Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: ugh, losing internet connection part 2

Why would you have to move the pc?Is the modem line on a dedicated leg off the first splitter into the house? If its not on the lowest loss leg of the FIRST splitter that CAN cause you signal/intermitant problems especially if you have more than 4 cable outlets.

my house got flooded, and it had to be moved into my room, my room is small, and there is no room to do anything.

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

Quote Originally Posted by pimp my ride
    my house got flooded, and it had to be moved into my room, my room is small, and there is no room to do anything.
    So your room is on the first splitter?And there is no other splitters in line from the main feed to your room?Seeing how the cable company looked at your signal levels on your modem from their end and all checks out so they say Id let the companies Internet Service tech come out and confirm at least there isnt a line problem or problem with the modem or your router.

Quote Originally Posted by /\/\adGamer
    So your room is on the first splitter?And there is no other splitters in line from the main feed to your room?Seeing how the cable company looked at your signal levels on your modem from their end and all checks out so they say Id let the companies Internet Service tech come out and confirm at least there isnt a line problem or problem with the modem or your router.
    my room has a direct line comming in from the splitter in my garage, there is a splitter on that line, one going to my TV, and one going to my cable modem.

if it were a line problem, wouldnt i totally lose everything?

Like i said, when i cant view websites, i can still commect to AIM, or download stuff.

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

Its not a problem with the Internet service if you can connect to AIM or download stuff its got to be on your end as the service provider said.Have you tried setting your browser to all default settings when you cant connect to certain web sites?Sounds as if you have your security settings set too high maybe.AS far as losing everythging if it were a line issue you would lose all connectivity.

Just a suggestion...I had a situation that perplexed me for a few minutes similar to yours. I couldn't surf but I was able to receive web radio via Winamp. I also looked at my sniffer package and saw I wasn't seeing any traffic using port 53 (DNS). As it turns out, it appears the DSL modem wasn't passing DNS appropriately. I called the tech support, asked for the addresses of their DNS servers, and datafilled them directly in the Start/Settings/Network and Dial-up Connections/Local Area Connection (x where x equals the one you're using)/(right-click)Properties/Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)/Properties/Use the following DNS server addresses:. I then clicked Ok a couple of times and rebooted. When I came back up, I saw that port 53 was being used by the addresses I'd datafilled and I was able to surf again.
    Sometimes, ISPs have problems with their DNS servers, such as when migrating to new resources, and funky flukey stuff happens. With Winamp, and perhaps AIM, there are no need for DNS lookups as the IP addresses are already known.

Its not a problem with the Internet service if you can connect to AIM or download stuff its got to be on your end as the service provider said.Have you tried setting your browser to all default settings when you cant connect to certain web sites?Sounds as if you have your security settings set too high maybe.AS far as losing everythging if it were a line issue you would lose all connectivity.

yes, but if it was my problem, why is my modem getting a bunch of errors??

that is what i dont understand.

I have tried reformatting my computer even, and it still didnt help it.

I dont even think i have any security stuff set up? everything is at default settings.

Im not trying to say your wrong, but i dont understand how it can be my problem if my modem is getting a whole bunch of errors... i mean, right now, here is just a snip:

************ 3-Critical T2.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
    ************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 477000000, US Id 0
    ************ 3-Critical T2.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire FEC framing
    ************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 483000000, US Id 0
    ************ 8-Debug T509.0 Acquired DS with status NO FEC lock, DS Freq 489000000, US Id 0
    It is just continuous of that crap.

personally, i cant seem to see how my browser can be causing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert3
    Just a suggestion...I had a situation that perplexed me for a few minutes similar to yours. I couldn't surf but I was able to receive web radio via Winamp. I also looked at my sniffer package and saw I wasn't seeing any traffic using port 53 (DNS). As it turns out, it appears the DSL modem wasn't passing DNS appropriately. I called the tech support, asked for the addresses of their DNS servers, and datafilled them directly in the Start/Settings/Network and Dial-up Connections/Local Area Connection (x where x equals the one you're using)/(right-click)Properties/Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)/Properties/Use the following DNS server addresses:. I then clicked Ok a couple of times and rebooted. When I came back up, I saw that port 53 was being used by the addresses I'd datafilled and I was able to surf again.
    Sometimes, ISPs have problems with their DNS servers, such as when migrating to new resources, and funky flukey stuff happens. With Winamp, and perhaps AIM, there are no need for DNS lookups as the IP addresses are already known.
    comcast is telling me that they dont support typing my own DNS addresses in

what model is your modem could be its one of the older modems that wont update to the newest .cfg file I asked about your problem to an IST tech at my work and they said it could be that its not updating correctly due to being old.

what model is your modem could be its one of the older modems that wont update to the newest .cfg file I asked about your problem to an IST tech at my work and they said it could be that its not updating correctly due to being old.
    SB4200

I have been with Comcast for many years and had problems when they upgrade from QAM64 to QAM256 using a SB4200 modem ( your need a solid SNR greater than 33 dB for connection to stay stable) . The SNR was within specs on the downlink but would loose connection, upgrading to a SB5100 solved that problem. Also have had problems with their DNS servers from time to time also.

SB4100 and SB4200 have been know to get flakey with age, some will run fine and others will develope intermittent troubles. (such troubles listed in DSLReports in Comcast HSI forum)

I would buy a new modem from a retail store with good return policy to see if this corrects your problem.

My I recommend a Linksys BEFCMU10 from WalMart or

Motorola SB5100 from Best Buy (do not remommend the SB5120 due to the chip set used in that model).
    Mr. Spock, how do I set my laser printer to stun?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Box 1 Full Tower (2 80mm & 2 120 mm fans)--MSI P6N Plat--Intel E6700--Zalman 9500--G.Skill 6400PHU2-2GB--OCZ 700W--XFX-GF7600GT--WD Rapture 150 GB--2 Samsung 500 GB--optical Pioneer & LG

Box2 Lian Li 70 series (6 120mm fans)--Abit IP35 Pro--Intel E8400 @3.3G--Zalman 9700--8 G memory G Skill F2-6400L4--GeForce 8600 GT--PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad--WD Raptor 150--2) WD 1 TB--1.5 TB Samsung--Asus & Pioneer Opticals

Box3 Lian Li 70 serics (6 120mm fans)--ASRock X58 Extreeme---Intel i7 920 @3.6G--Cooler Master V8 (mod with 120mm silverstone fan)--12 G memery G Skill--G Force GTX 260--PC Power & Cooling 750 QB--WD 2.5 Raptor 300--2) Samsung 1.5 TB--2) WD 1 TB--Plextor & LiteOn optical

Quote Originally Posted by modelt
    I have been with Comcast for many years and had problems when they upgrade from QAM64 to QAM256 using a SB4200 modem ( your need a solid SNR greater than 33 dB for connection to stay stable) . The SNR was within specs on the downlink but would loose connection, upgrading to a SB5100 solved that problem. Also have had problems with their DNS servers from time to time also.

SB4100 and SB4200 have been know to get flakey with age, some will run fine and others will develope intermittent troubles. (such troubles listed in DSLReports in Comcast HSI forum)

I would buy a new modem from a retail store with good return policy to see if this corrects your problem.

My I recommend a Linksys BEFCMU10 from WalMart or

Motorola SB5100 from Best Buy (do not remommend the SB5120 due to the chip set used in that model).
    thanks alot, this may be my problem.

Does comcast offer the SB5100 to their users to rent? I currently rent my modem, and theres no way im paying $80 because of a bad part comcast gave me.

Also, i can only find the SB5120 on best buys website.. what is wrong with the chipset in it?

Since your renting when the tech comes out they should swap it out.If you do decide to buy one usually the cable companies modems are cheaper than the reatailers my works modems are alot cheaper than retail.

The SB5100 uses Broadcom chipset and the SB5120 uses TI chip set. The TI chip set has demonstrated a weakness for SNR in QAM 256 use. With your SNR being 34 (just 1 dB above the the lower limit) that is why I recommended the SB5100 if you can find one. Found out that the SB5100 has been discontinued.

Comcast started using the SB5120 in some locations but it appears they have pulled them from service due to the SNR problem.

I bought my SB5100 in May 2004 for $68 dollars (on sell), so right now I am ahead of rental cost.

If you want to stay with rented unit then recommend that you go to local office and see if you can get a trade out for new RCA cable modem (understand that most locations now using RCA modems)
    Mr. Spock, how do I set my laser printer to stun?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Box 1 Full Tower (2 80mm & 2 120 mm fans)--MSI P6N Plat--Intel E6700--Zalman 9500--G.Skill 6400PHU2-2GB--OCZ 700W--XFX-GF7600GT--WD Rapture 150 GB--2 Samsung 500 GB--optical Pioneer & LG

Box2 Lian Li 70 series (6 120mm fans)--Abit IP35 Pro--Intel E8400 @3.3G--Zalman 9700--8 G memory G Skill F2-6400L4--GeForce 8600 GT--PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad--WD Raptor 150--2) WD 1 TB--1.5 TB Samsung--Asus & Pioneer Opticals

Box3 Lian Li 70 serics (6 120mm fans)--ASRock X58 Extreeme---Intel i7 920 @3.6G--Cooler Master V8 (mod with 120mm silverstone fan)--12 G memery G Skill--G Force GTX 260--PC Power & Cooling 750 QB--WD 2.5 Raptor 300--2) Samsung 1.5 TB--2) WD 1 TB--Plextor & LiteOn optical

Quote Originally Posted by modelt
    The SB5100 uses Broadcom chipset and the SB5120 uses TI chip set. The TI chip set has demonstrated a weakness for SNR in QAM 256 use. With your SNR being 34 (just 1 dB above the the lower limit) that is why I recommended the SB5100 if you can find one. Found out that the SB5100 has been discontinued.

Comcast started using the SB5120 in some locations but it appears they have pulled them from service due to the SNR problem.

I bought my SB5100 in May 2004 for $68 dollars (on sell), so right now I am ahead of rental cost.

If you want to stay with rented unit then recommend that you go to local office and see if you can get a trade out for new RCA cable modem (understand that most locations now using RCA modems)
    cool, thanks alot.

Is there any way i can find where the local office is?

Also, if i cahnge the modem, will i need to do anything else? I dont think comcast likes me, cuz when i try to use a different ethernet card, or try to hook my dads laptop up, they never work.