Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: ugh, losing internet connection part 2

Most Comcast payment centers carry replacement equipment.

go to www.comcast.com

then click "find a payment center" and enter your info. A list of closes payment centers should come up.
    Mr. Spock, how do I set my laser printer to stun?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Box 1 Full Tower (2 80mm & 2 120 mm fans)--MSI P6N Plat--Intel E6700--Zalman 9500--G.Skill 6400PHU2-2GB--OCZ 700W--XFX-GF7600GT--WD Rapture 150 GB--2 Samsung 500 GB--optical Pioneer & LG

Box2 Lian Li 70 series (6 120mm fans)--Abit IP35 Pro--Intel E8400 @3.3G--Zalman 9700--8 G memory G Skill F2-6400L4--GeForce 8600 GT--PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad--WD Raptor 150--2) WD 1 TB--1.5 TB Samsung--Asus & Pioneer Opticals

Box3 Lian Li 70 serics (6 120mm fans)--ASRock X58 Extreeme---Intel i7 920 @3.6G--Cooler Master V8 (mod with 120mm silverstone fan)--12 G memery G Skill--G Force GTX 260--PC Power & Cooling 750 QB--WD 2.5 Raptor 300--2) Samsung 1.5 TB--2) WD 1 TB--Plextor & LiteOn optical

Also, if i cahnge the modem, will i need to do anything else? I dont think comcast likes me, cuz when i try to use a different ethernet card, or try to hook my dads laptop up, they never work.
    Do you turn off the modem before you try with the new NIC?

Sometimes you need to register the mac address of the new device with your provider, this is where a good router can make things easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    Do you turn off the modem before you try with the new NIC?

Sometimes you need to register the mac address of the new device with your provider, this is where a good router can make things easier.
    no, but someone told me that you have to call comcast with the new mac address for them to redo it or something.

Also, before i go out and do all of this stuff, i just have to ask one more thing.. if this 34db thing is bad, and if it goes below it i will have an unstable connection, does that mean i just cant view websites? Because i can still talk to friends on AIM, and download stuff. (i think this question may have been answred, but i just want to make sure)

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

Because i can still talk to friends on AIM, and download stuff.
    Thats whats been bugging me about this whole thing, if the connection actually drops then any interactive connection would also drop.

This is usually a sign of something on the system blocking a specific service, otherwise everything should be breaking. ( The usual suspect is an errant firewall, anti-spyware or AV product.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan
    Thats whats been bugging me about this whole thing, if the connection actually drops then any interactive connection would also drop.

This is usually a sign of something on the system blocking a specific service, otherwise everything should be breaking. ( The usual suspect is an errant firewall, anti-spyware or AV product.)

the thing is is that when the problem first came, i had no AV, or firewall. so that leaves spyware, and guess what? I reformatted my comp, and it still did it after the format. this is what i dont understand at all.

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

The only MAC address that Comcast looks for is the MAC address of the cable modem. When Comcast provisions your account for internet, the cable modem MAC address is used and config file is sent to that modem for you account set up.

I also noticed that you said the some of your chat programs did not trouble when you could not surf. This alone would give me pause to believe that your where having trouble with DNS server. But with all the error logs particularily the DHCP ones, I suspected trouble with your modem. If DHCP is not handled correctly then the default DNS server addresses my not be available to your computer. The chat programs you use probably have a fixed IP address list in the program that does not need DNS server lookup.

If you can try this.

When you have trouble surfing: go to Start>Run and type in "command" without quotes.

In the command window at the prompt type "ping www.yahoo.com", if you get error cannot find host then at prompt type "ping 68.142.226.45". If the second is succesful then try the following:

Control Panel>Network Connections. Right click on Local Area Network and select properties. Then highlight Internet Protocal and then click on properties. In the new window check "Use the following DNS server address". In the first line enter 004.002.002.001 and the second line enter 004.002.002.002. These are DNS servers that you can use to determine if you most of your trouble is DNS server isssue. Could you try this a advise.

Also how often are you getting the modem errors that you list in previous post. When you cannot connect via browser (surf), please bring up your cable modem and write down the siganal numbers (for both up and down stream).

We will get to the bottom of this.
    Last edited by modelt; 02-16-2006 at 01:34 PM.
    Box 1 Full Tower (2 80mm & 2 120 mm fans)--MSI P6N Plat--Intel E6700--Zalman 9500--G.Skill 6400PHU2-2GB--OCZ 700W--XFX-GF7600GT--WD Rapture 150 GB--2 Samsung 500 GB--optical Pioneer & LG

Box2 Lian Li 70 series (6 120mm fans)--Abit IP35 Pro--Intel E8400 @3.3G--Zalman 9700--8 G memory G Skill F2-6400L4--GeForce 8600 GT--PC Power & Cooling 750 Quad--WD Raptor 150--2) WD 1 TB--1.5 TB Samsung--Asus & Pioneer Opticals

Box3 Lian Li 70 serics (6 120mm fans)--ASRock X58 Extreeme---Intel i7 920 @3.6G--Cooler Master V8 (mod with 120mm silverstone fan)--12 G memery G Skill--G Force GTX 260--PC Power & Cooling 750 QB--WD 2.5 Raptor 300--2) Samsung 1.5 TB--2) WD 1 TB--Plextor & LiteOn optical

Quote Originally Posted by modelt

In the command window at the prompt type "ping www.yahoo.com", if you get error cannot find host then at prompt type "ping 68.142.226.45".

Also how often are you getting the modem errors that you list in previous post. When you cannot connect via browser (surf), please bring up your cable modem and write down the siganal numbers (for both up and down stream).

We will get to the bottom of this.
    I havent tried to ping stuff in a long time, but from what i can remember, it would work, but i would get alot of "timed out" errors, like 50% packet loss.

BUT, i do remember typing in googles IP addy, and i got 0% packet loss.

To be honost with you, i have no idea how often im getting the errors, the log is full of them, so i really cant tell...

ok, it has been out for the last 3 hours, i pinged google, and the IP ady, and they both worked, i tried pinging alot of other stuff, but each time i tried, i always got at least 25% packet loss.

When it came back on, im getting no packet loss what-so ever

I also tried typing in those addresses you gave me, and it didnt do anything.

oh yea, almost forgot, here is the levels i had when it was out:

Downstream Value
    Frequency 549000000 Hz Locked
    Signal to Noise Ratio 34 dB
    Power Level -12 dBmV
    The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
    Channel ID 255
    Frequency 22000000 Hz Ranged
    Power Level 52 dBmV

From your last testing, you either have a flaky modem or bad signal to noise ratio on the upstream channel.

Since you had a water problem, make sure that all coax cable connections are clean and tight, take little time and look them over good. Any corrision could cause trouble. If everything looks okay then:

Since you do not want service truck, I would try a modem exchange at the local office. If this does not cure your trouble then they will have to roll a truck to your location for repair.

Call 1-800-comcast and enter the reponses to get to the high speed internet service department. Do this when the service goes down, they can test and make measurements from their end and suggest a coarse of action.

Best of luck

From your last testing, you either have a flaky modem or bad signal to noise ratio on the upstream channel.

Since you had a water problem, make sure that all coax cable connections are clean and tight, take little time and look them over good. Any corrision could cause trouble. If everything looks okay then:

Since you do not want service truck, I would try a modem exchange at the local office. If this does not cure your trouble then they will have to roll a truck to your location for repair.

Call 1-800-comcast and enter the reponses to get to the high speed internet service department. Do this when the service goes down, they can test and make measurements from their end and suggest a coarse of action.

Best of luck
    Thanks.

Im pretty sure it isnt the coax, because my computer is on a totally different splitter "line" than the bad wire.

I have been meaning to call comcast when it goes out (a tech told me to) but i get so angry, im afaraid of bitching the comcast person out

anyways, thanks, and i will give these a try.

Hey guys, im back online.

I went to the comcast place and they gave me a SB5101 modem.

I put it in, and after having to call their tech support (the program to get my mac through wouldnt work) they put it through, and now everything is working.

I dont know if it is just me, but it seems to be a little bit "peppier" if that makes sence, like the pages seem to not drag while loading.

Glad to hear it . I would expect it to be "peppier", because mine was when I replaced my SB4XXX series with the SB5100. The SB5101 is new model of mine with the BroadCom chipset.

Happy surfing. Later

Glad to hear it . I would expect it to be "peppier", because mine was when I replaced my SB4XXX series with the SB5100. The SB5101 is new model of mine with the BroadCom chipset.

Happy surfing. Later

Thanks.

so did i get a good modem?

so far i havent lost connection.

my parents said it went out lastnight, and said "network connection unplugged" but this is obvously a problem on comcast's side, and not something that has been going on with this problem.