Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Help someones piggyback riding my wifi router!!

I have a question to throw in there....
    If you limit the number of DHCP users to the number of Machines on your router would that lock it up?

I.E if i had 3 Machines and set the the maximum number of DHCP users to 3 would that not allow other machines to access the the router?

I.E if i had 3 Machines and set the the maximum number of DHCP users to 3 would that not allow other machines to access the the router?
    This wouldn't be a good idea as it is a contention based system, meaning the first machine to respond would grab a lease and the last machine would fail.

You have no way to preventing the other machine from grabbing a lease before any of your machines.

You can't really limit the number of hosts on your subnet by fixing DHCP to a small range. Even if you only allow 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.4 , I can still set my machine for a static address anywhere else above that range (say maybe 192.168.0.252) and still get net access and see your network.

You could set your machines for static addresses and turn off DHCP. Then use a less popular private subnet (like say 10.0.x.x) instead of the easily guessable 192.168.x.x addresses.

There are other tricks you can do too. You can stop most of the "joe six pack" hackers, but if you have a genuine geek, he will stop at nothing.

I cant tell you how many customers i see a day buying wireless cards with the intention of "borrowing" someones router in the apartment building they live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus
    You can't really limit the number of hosts on your subnet by fixing DHCP to a small range. Even if you only allow 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.0.4 , I can still set my machine for a static address anywhere else above that range (say maybe 192.168.0.252) and still get net access and see your network.
    Some routers actually support subnetting. You can set the subnet Mask to something other than 255.255.255.0 and really limit the range that you use. I have seen some that go all the way down to 255.255.255.248 which allows you 5 useable addresses.

Some routers actually support subnetting. You can set the subnet Mask to something other than 255.255.255.0 and really limit the range that you use. I have seen some that go all the way down to 255.255.255.248 which allows you 5 useable addresses.
    Which doesn't solve the problem, the outside connection can still connect to the router and theres no guarantee that an internal machine can grab a lease before the external computer does.

Not sure if this is worth mentioning, but if you want to keep auto-assign stuff on a laptop 'cos you connect to other wireless networks, you can still use static addressing on a network with no DHCP server. In the TCP/IP configuration options, you can set static addresses under the Alternative Configuration tab. It takes a little while longer to connect, but it allows you to use static addressing at home and a dynamic addressing when you're out and about. Saves having to worry about DHCP leasing.