Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Help someones piggyback riding my wifi router!!

I would check with your router manufacturer and see if they have newer firmware that will add wpa support to your particular router. If not, then your other options are to either get a new router that supports wpa, or disable the wireless feature of your present router. It is obvious that you have a sniffer in your neighborhood who is out looking for free rides.

In bed with one of my avatar AMD girls :D

Bryan would doing that affect my rigs connection to router?Btw its set at auto I dont know if its using open or shared.In any case like I said if I set it to shared how will that affect my rigs connection to routher?

And jwsm I will check for firmware updates,and how would I disable the wireless feature?If I do disable it can only be temporary since I will have to connect the laptop when its its returned wirelessly

Edit:Just upgraded firmware to one dated 2004 but still no diference in encryption type
    Last edited by Poci; 01-26-2006 at 12:03 PM.

It shouldn't effect the connection unless the WEP key isn't entered into the client correctly.

So basically it prompts for WEP password with shared key enabled instead of open?
    Well it would ask for password before in auto mode so maybe shared key was already on?
    Anyways guys I will list every step I have taken so far and FOR NOW I dont see any unknown comp connected:

SSID off both in wireless section and performance section.

A new 128 bit HEX WEP key

MAC filtering on to only allow access to router by my comp and another comp both hardwired through ethernet,only laptop connects wirelessly and its not here atm

Authentication is set at shared key instead of open.

I also have a firewall section in my routers config but am not sure how to mess with it or if it would increase security.

Im not to happy with this and feel theres nothing I can do to secure this even more.I have a newer router still in package somewhere in my house that I got for free when I bought laptop,I just have to find it.
    Should I ditch this current router which is a DLink DI-514 and tryout the new router and see if it has better security options?
    I mean this is amazingly annoying its made me think wifi sux to the highest degree and Im thinking of getting a normal ethernet router with no wifi capabilitys and just connecting the laptop with an ethernet cable.
    Last edited by Poci; 01-26-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganj
    I mean this is amazingly annoying its made me think wifi sux to the highest degree and Im thinking of getting a normal ethernet router with no wifi capabilitys and just connecting the laptop with an ethernet cable.
    I hate to post in this topic when I can't offer any solutions, but what you posted in this thread so far is exactly why I've stayed away from wireless. I have a couple of co-workers who just love to gloat about how easy it is for them to get on someone else's wireless system. Then there's just too much that has to be configured for wireless on top of the normal security practices that to me it's just not worth it. Personally, I'd just prefer to run the ethernet cable. But that's just me. Bryan seems like he has some really good solutions.

Good luck!

Ok I found the new router and its a DLink DI-524 and it features WPA encryption.Now I dont want to open it and set it up till laptop is sent back to me.
    For now how do I disable wireless on my current DI-514?

Do you have Rev B of the router, as it supports WPA.

To disable wirelesss, select the Home tab at the top and wireless at the left.

There should be a radio button labled Enabled with a dot in it, select the disable radio button and then apply.

If your looking for a good wireless router then I'd go for a linksys WRT54GS. ( I have had good luck with it and it has a lot of good features.)

I have revison C1 of the DI-514 and there is no WPA support.

There is no radio button in the wireless tab to disable wifi wtf

I scanned through the posts. What kind of router are you currently using? Make/Model

I apologize if its listed up there somewhere and I missed it.

Its a Dlink DI-514

Wow.. not sure how I missed that.. maybe I'm tired.

Checking the documentation for your router.. it does not appear you can actually shut down the wireless portion of your router. It is also reached it's end of life.

I'd give it another 2 years or so before Cisco gets rid of all the Linksys crap and starts making sure their home user parts are as up to par as their corporate appliances.

(Cisco Purchased Linksys)

Anyway I suppose maybe they didnt think you would buy a wireless router and then decide to shut of the wireless part. Seems a bit logical in some respects. Regardless your current router is no longer supported.

But I got a list of a bunch of routers that DO Claim to support WPA2-- check out that cool lil Asus one. In no particular order. Maybe some of the other wireless gurus can give you some advice from this list. As I am no advocate for wireless routers ~

ASUS WL-530G IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless Pocket 4-Port Router - Retail

And here I thought US Robtics was out of the whole computer picture...

U.S. Robotics USR5461 Wireless MAXg 125Mbps Router - Retail

NETGEAR WPNT834 IEEE 802.11b/g RangeMax 240 Wireless Router - Retail

ZyXEL P-330W IEEE 802.3, 802.3u, IEEE 802.11g Wireless Internet Sharing Router - Retail

ZyXEL X-550 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g XtremeMIMO Wireless Broadband Router - Retail

LINKSYS WRT54GX4 IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX400 - Retail

D-Link DI-724U IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g 108Mbps USB2.0 Print Server Wireless QoS Router - Retail

If you can't shut off the wireless, limit it's range by removing the antennas. If you can't do that, see if your new router has the option to turn off wireless and replace your ould one. When you get your laptop back, you can enable the wireless and secure it as needed.

What I can do with current router is lower antena transmiting power.Should I set it to minimum 12 percent?

Have you upgraded the router to the latest available firmware?

Quote Originally Posted by Ganj
    What I can do with current router is lower antena transmiting power.Should I set it to minimum 12 percent?

I would lower the antenna transmitting power AND see if you can physically remove (probably a few screws) the antenna. If it looks like a daunting task..... then just lower the power.