Page 32 of 112 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Re: AMDMB Members' Recently Purchased Items Thread

NEW ATI X1950 XTX from E-bay. It will go in my Abit AT8 32X as a single card and the XFX 6800GS will go in my ASUS A8N-E board again.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

I have one Freezer 64 and three Freezer 64 Pro's and I think they are a great value, but decided to buy a new Scythe Ninja cooler. It is more pricey, but I might have been in a rut. I also got a new Sata 20x Lite-On DVD burner, Sony Floppy, a 1 Gig Super Talent thumb drive.... Oh and a new Opteron 185 for my new cooler.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

Rhino Ramps, 2x4.4L 5w30 Formula 1 Synthetic Oil, 3/8" Drive Torque Wrench, Subaru OEM Oil Filter + Crush Washer

Spoiler!

Antec NEO HE 550W PSU

Nokia E65 w/ 2GB microSD card

2007 Ford Ranger 4x2 supercab

Front Oxygen Sensor, Graphite Donut Gasket, Nuts and Bolts

Spoiler!

Seagate 320 Gig Sata II Hard drive

1 Dell PowerEdge 1900 (2 2.88GH quad cores w 8MB DDR) and 2 precision 380 work stations. About $15,000
    ------------------------------------------------

Look here for details: http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...postcount=1596

2 Xeon Cloverton 5320s = 8 cores on one mobo!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Hmm...let's see...

I bought a Hanns·G HW-223DPB Black 22" LCD and a Wii recently.

Did you get the Wii locally or online? I hear they are still somewhat hard to find around.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

^^How is the monitor Namek? Ive been dragging my feet to get an lcd

You know, I haven't had a ton of play time with it...but so far it has been great. When I got the box, I was somewhat scared that it was too big - but thankfully they just package it well.

I don't have any detectable backlight bleeding and while the native resolution is a bit odd (1680x1050) I have grown accustomed to it pretty quickly.

I think I'll do a pro/con setup:

The Hanns·G HW-223DPB Black 22" LCD

Pros:
    • It has a 4-port USB hub
    • It is impressively large compared to my other LCDs (15 / 15 / 17")
    • Bright and crisp
    • Setup is easy
    • OSD is pretty good and has enough options
    • It *does* do 1080P but it is a bit weird (read below).
    • No dead/stuck/flashing pixels
    • It includes tons of cables (dvi-dvi / vga-vga / component-dvi / audio / rca-3.5" adapter)

Cons:
    • Buttons on the bottom front have a flimsy feel to them, but work fine
    • The speakers *suck* - don't even plug them in - it's seriously not worth the anguish.
    • The stand is a bit lacking - no swivel or rotate or up/down - just pitch up and down.
    • 1080P is weird.
    • It's possibly too bright. I had to turn down the factory setting from 100% brightness to ~34% before I felt comfortable again.

Other thoughts:

Alright, so here's the lowdown on 1080P. Basically, it can display it and it will display it (I have my Xbox 360 hooked up and resolution set to 1920x1080). However, because the native resolution of the screen is 1680x1050, it simply centers the 1080P image and cuts off the rest. You don't lose much and I'd rather have 1080P with a bit cut off than my Xbox 360 in 1280x1024 (which is the mode that looks best other than 1920x1080).

Switching between the X360 (hooked up to the monitor via the Microsoft HD VGA cable) and the PC (DVI) is pretty quick - I think 4 button presses.

I considered the Samsung 226BW, a Dell, and a Viewsonic and I finally decided on the Hanns-G. So far I haven't been disappointed and am very glad I made this choice. The primary contender was the Samsung and it had some pretty horrific stories of backlight bleeding and other problems which eventually drove me away from it. I was a bit worried about Hanns-G as I hadn't heard of them before - and their US website is pretty weak.

I have only played one PC game with it so far - Freelancer. Forgive me, I'm kind of on a retro-gaming kick after crushing my WoW addiction. I haven't noticed any ghosting or problems with lighting - blacks are black and whites are white. Sadly Freelancer doesn't support 1680x1050 as a playable resolution, so I haven't played any games at the native resolution yet.

On the X360, I played Gears and PGR3 at 1080P and both were great, even with the edges cut off a bit. Again, no ghosting and the difference between my standard def tube TV and the LCD is pretty incredible.

As far as documentation goes, there were a few safety papers, a warranty card and I think a quick setup guide - not much else.

Anyhow, I guess this is a somewhat subjective - but decent - review, so I should give it a rating.

I give it 8 's out of 10.

Other testing I'd like to do with it:

I haven't tested the component to DVI cable yet - and I'd like to see how the Wii looks on it or even how the X360 looks on it. I haven't gotten Wii component cables yet though.

Speaking of the Wii - I was at a hotel for my graduation and I needed a haircut so I hit up the local mall and stopped by a few stores just out of curiosity (FYE / EB / Gamestop) and the Gamestop had 2 in stock so I grabbed one.

My apologies for the long post - as usual.

Alex
    Last edited by Namek; 05-16-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Wow. Thanks Alex. Im better with someone's thoughts here than some magazine impressions. Ill try and see one.

i just got an Acer AL2223W. its a 22" widescreen and i'm loving it so far. great picture and i have nothing bad to say about it. it can also be used as an HDTV but only at 720p since the native resolution is 1680x1050.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")