Page 95 of 111 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 1651

Re: AMDMB Members' Recently Purchased Items Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PandaZ3 View Post
    Is that a can of TAB in the cupholder?
    WTF you're about the 3rd to ask that. Yes. It was free. The only thing in my mom's fridge, and had been 4+ hours since I'd had anything. Someone said "they still make that stuff??"

And yeah, I had some temporary remorse too, I miss my Titan a lot; the room the extras, the stuff I did to it, the POWER... But I'm pushing 50MPG regularly in town now. And I know that Diesels respond nicely to "modifications."
    ------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by PandaZ3 View Post
    House... thats sometimes trouble

A House normally has a heating and a cooling system, they need to be modern and working. The Plumbing on old houses have metal pipes and is sometimes problematic. If it has been upgraded to PVC... you likely will be okay. I would worry about the roof, but you might not as I understand you own a Hammer among the countless other tools a second bathromm when there is a family in the future, and don't forget some hidden move in costs like a fridge and washer and dryer.

No matter if you plan on a family yourself or not buy a house for a family and then you can sell it if need be.

Oh I know, I'm actually looking to buy well below what I could easily afford along with putting a lot down.

Most stuff I can spot and/or fix on my own or with the help of family who are in other trades.

That said, have you looked at house prices lately? They're practically giving them away! 4 bedrooms, 2.5 baths with an attached 2 car garage, many times with major appliances included, in livable condition for under 120k in my area. Taxes are the only big factor for me right now, that will make up a good half of any mortgage I get.

Luckily I have a decent chunk of money in my annuity that I plan to use. No worries, the union doesn't allocate more than a few cents these days toward my annuity, so might as well use what5 I have and offset it with my IRA contributions. One bonus to working in Indiana is they do contribute a good bit to annuity, so while I'm working there I'm saving not only what's on my check but what my employer pays towards my benefits.

Definitely not buying on a whim, I'm in full on house saving mode right now!
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Quote Originally Posted by WindsorFox View Post
    WTF you're about the 3rd to ask that. Yes. It was free. The only thing in my mom's fridge, and had been 4+ hours since I'd had anything. Someone said "they still make that stuff??"

And yeah, I had some temporary remorse too, I miss my Titan a lot; the room the extras, the stuff I did to it, the POWER... But I'm pushing 50MPG regularly in town now. And I know that Diesels respond nicely to "modifications."
    Diesel? AND stick shift? You sir are awesome and thank you for not being another hybrid drone. I've looked at diesel VW's for years but I've always worried about reliability. Hopefully you do great with yours.

When it comes to diesels in cars the two technology leaders seem to be VW and Mercedes. I see diesel Rabbits from the late70's to early 80's all over Oregon. Half the Rabbit Pickups seem to be diesels.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

While I do see older VW's on the road, it may have had a lot of extensive work done to it if not had the original motor replaced.

Spoiler!

Exterior & Interior Modification & Care
    detailing - modifications - installations - maintenance
    http://edhilario.ca

I doubt that, Diesels are known for their longevity, it's nothing for one to run 200K or more with nothing other than a timing belt. I've seen Ford and Dodge trucks with 300K of hard towing miles on them still going strong. I've driven several hybrids over the years including the new CRZ last summer and they were all slow, sluggish and handled similar to log trucks. When I pulled out of the parking lot in the CRZ before I hit third gear I looked at the kid and told him that there's no way I could drive that car everyday. To be honest I felt the same way about a VW Diesel until I drove it. I was totally shocked. Keeping in mind my daily at the time was a lightly modified Nissan Titan, and I also have a moderately modified Mustang. Which brings up the point that terbow Diesels also respond favorably to modifications DO a search on Audi TDI race car and check out the Formula 1 racer.

So far in the US VW is the ONLY choice for a Diesel car with a smallish, economic Diesel unless you buy something old with high miles. And in general I feel if you can afford a $90K+ Mercedes and afford the upkeep that goes with it, you probably will not be opting for the Diesel. There are supposedly a lot on the way, to the dismay of Exxon I'm sure Chevy claims a Diesel Cruz is only a year or two away and if Ford comes up with a version of their EU Focus/Fiesta Diesel I think it would sell well. What I miss is a small or medium truck that is economical. Personally THIS is what has me drooling on the desk. A full sized Nissan Titan with a 2.8L Cummins 4cyl that rides 30+MPG. If that hits the street I'll be all over it....
    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/05...san-titan.html
    Last edited by WindsorFox; 04-09-2012 at 11:08 AM.

Heh, check out this guy from the TDI forums...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yQqVXFQ8yo

Speaking of cars, I just bought a timing belt kit for mine. So expensive =\

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Brandito View Post
    Upside down on my previous vehicle and spending way too much on the colorado. It's a nice truck, nothing fancy, very utilitarian. Decent gas mileage considering. I hope for it to last it a good many more years. I'll probably never buy another new vehicle though, and next time I'll be paying cash up front. Learned my lesson though, next major purchase will be a house and I plan to put 30% or better down.

been there done that lol. i still kick myself for doing the same on my last vehicle. i still wonder wtf i was thinking. i plan on doing the same though. im getting it payed off and plan on keeping it for the long stretch. or until i have to replace it with something more practical than a 2 door coupe.

Picked up some shop tools & supplies.

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by EH100501AC View Post
    Speaking of cars, I just bought a timing belt kit for mine. So expensive =\
    It's a lot less than having one pop at 75MPH....

I'm changing mine ahead of schedule

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by EH100501AC View Post
    I'm changing mine ahead of schedule
    Just curious Ed, what is the recommended mileage to change the belt on a WRX, assuming the car in your sig is the one you are changing it on? I ask as I see a WRX sometime in my future.

Alpine car stereo And 4 Alpine speakers for my Jeep Cherokee
    Lost, in a lost world!

105K on WRX 120K on my TDI. I know someone who got a great deal on a JSW TDI because the belt broke while driving. The caveat though was that some of it was in a box in the back