Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: K7 Thunder

If you set the CD-ROM to the highest priority, it will boot. Given that a bootable CD-ROM is inserted. I installed Windows2000 and XP this way.

Originally posted by kolya
    hehehe : )

Alrighty, I've been cleaning my room and after a break from messin with my mobo, I'm about to start up again. Actually, the RAMTEK SCSI adaptor that I was using before, I hadn't even had that installed when I was having the win2k Stalling problems. But, I think it's a good idea and I'll give it a try. (thanx for the tip, Dieu)

As for my temperatures regarding my CPU's, they are run without the case side at about a 54c. They are pretty constant with that temperature. I don't know if that is good or not, to tell the truth, this is not my first computer (as I've had a Packard Bell (shudder) and about 2 dells after that) but this IS the first computer I have built from scratch (I'm building it for College!)

As for booting from the CD Rom first, oh yes, I've used the +/- keys to move it up the line, but doing that never seems to work. Hmm.. hehe
    Thanks for the help

My board not only refuses to POST, it doesn't even stay powered on for more than two-three seconds!!

All it does is power up for a few seconds (the NICs light up when I insert the main power cable of the NMB PSU) and then it powers down (fans stop turning, etc.). I can't seem to figure it out. I never used any add-on cards, just the on-board video. I'm frightened by the prospect of installing any card in this board from the horror stories I read. I tried everything including removing one CPU and using only one memory module (2x256MB Crucial registered ECC RAM) -- nothing. I don't know if the board is defective, but I can't get it to post...??

Lightbulb Bunch of Stuff, and my comp works!

Alrighty Gang, finally got win2000 to install. But first, I'd like to reply to Apollo

First, I don't mean to insult your intelligence or anything, but when you say you hook up the main power supply, I hope you mean that you hooked up the OTHER power supply as well, that 6 pin connector that hooks up in the corner near the I/O's. I dare not try to reproduce the effect of booting up with only the 12 pin power supply, as I just got my computer running and like it the way it is, but perhaps that could be your problem? It sounds plausible to me that the motherboard would shut itself down if it saw it didn't have enough power (like the power missing from a non-existent 6 pin source).

On to how I got this beast working:

Once again, here are my system specs:

Antec SX1030b SOHO File server with 4 Antec Cooling Fans
    NMB 460watt PS
    Tyan Thunder K7 Motherboard (of course..)
    (2) Corsair 256mb PC2100 ECC DDR Memory
    Seagate 18.2gb Cheetah 15k/3.9ms/4mb Ultra 160
    IBM 40gb 7200rpm ATA100 60GXP Harddrive
    Visiontek Geforce3 64mb w/TV-Out
    Klipsch 4.1 Audio System
    Soundblaster Live! Platinum 5.1 w/ Live! Drive
    Teac 1.44/720mb floppy drive
    Yamaha 16/10/40 CD-RW (Ultra160 SCSI (III)) (which is the Wide SCSI variety, so I needed:
    TekRam DC-390f Ultra Wide SCSI PCI adaptor)
    Pioneer 16xIDE DVD-rom
    Ooops: AMD Athlon 266Mhz Thunderbird 1.4ghz (2 of them)
    Generic Black Keyboard, Logitech ifeel Optical mouse.
    Running: Windows 2000

I first flashed the BIOS to 2.06, then I reset the CMOS, Then I hooked up the TekRam SCSI PCI Adaptor and hooked both the Ultra wide Yamaha CD-RW to it, and my main SCSI Cheetah harddrive. These and the floppy drive were the only components that were hooked up, essentially. I then stuck in the Windows2000 CD and the TekRam SCSI boot utility automatically detected that I could boot off the win2k cd, so I let it. Then, the kicker was that I had forgot to load any/all scsi drivers during the win2k setup by pressing F6. As soon as I forgot to do this, win2k continued it's setup and I was able to fully install win2k, which I am using now.

From there, I moved the SCSI harddrive to the onboard SCSI, and it works.

I installed my AGP Visiontek Geforce3, hooked the monitor up to the card, and DISABLED the onboard video chip. This worked. I installed the newest Detonator drivers, and it works well.. sorta (more on that later).

From there, one by one I installed the sound card, IDE dvd, and then the IDE Harddrive all without major problems. The IDE Harddrive, a 60gxp Deskstar 40 gig harddrive is giving me a little trouble, however. It insists in windows that it's only 26gigs, when in fact when I was messing around in dos it stated it had 33gig (which is well below the advertised 40gig from IBM, I call that fraud). In win2k I formatted the harddrive, still 26gig. Oh well, not the biggest of my worries.

One thing that perturbs me is that I can only have 1 stick of 256meg ram at a time. There is something that windows2000 doesn't like about me having the full 512megs I want. Yes, they are both the exact same kind of ram, Corsair 256mb ECC Registered DDR Ram, and I was able to get the bios to read 512 megs of ram back in the dark ages before I got win2k installed. I'll stick both in the first 2 dimms like the manual tells me to, and windows will get to the long line of ticks before it loads finally, and it will stall indefinitely. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Cheers! and thanks for all the help people have been giving me, good luck!

kolya,

Glad to hear of your success. I hope it will soon be the case for most of us Thunder owners still experiencing problems.

As far as my situation is concerned, the 8-pin PSU connector is connected to the board first (as explained in the manual) and then I insert the 24-pin WTX connector. For more details of my issue, look here: http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...4&m=2640958712
    Last edited by APOLLO; 07-08-2001 at 02:28 AM.

Apollo, hrmm..

I followed that link to check out the stuff you wrote. Very interesting... But ya, the CPU Bus Speeds were layed out very confusingly in the manual And on the board itself. I followed EXACTLY what the board told me to, and it works. I actually have 2 Regular (read: Not the MP Palomino! but beware of this, as I read somewhere that by using regular athlon's on the Tyan k7, you can void the warranty) 1.4ghz Athlon chips. They're running at 266mhz bus speeds, because one of the jumpers requires 1,2 pins to be closed, and the other requires pins 2,3 to be closed to have both running at 266mhz. You gotta pay Real close attention. Just do exactly what the manual tells you, that's what I did and it worked for me. The 1.4AthlonMP's are out now, but they come with a darned hefty price tag of $300 each. The 1.4 athlon's were about $180 a piece for me. I accidentally got 2 of the regular athlon's before I knew that the Thunder k7 used different kinds of cpu's.
    Thanks for settin me straight on the # of pins as well, heh I knew I was close!

As for the power problem of yours, hmm... perhaps try installing it in a different case? Good luck!

Re: Apollo, hrmm..

Who do you believe is selling the 1.4GHz AthlonMP's? Also, it is important to determine if your rig is ACTUALLY SMP enabled.

Originally posted by kolya
    I followed that link to check out the stuff you wrote. Very interesting... But ya, the CPU Bus Speeds were layed out very confusingly in the manual And on the board itself. I followed EXACTLY what the board told me to, and it works. I actually have 2 Regular (read: Not the MP Palomino! but beware of this, as I read somewhere that by using regular athlon's on the Tyan k7, you can void the warranty) 1.4ghz Athlon chips. They're running at 266mhz bus speeds, because one of the jumpers requires 1,2 pins to be closed, and the other requires pins 2,3 to be closed to have both running at 266mhz. You gotta pay Real close attention. Just do exactly what the manual tells you, that's what I did and it worked for me. The 1.4AthlonMP's are out now, but they come with a darned hefty price tag of $300 each. The 1.4 athlon's were about $180 a piece for me. I accidentally got 2 of the regular athlon's before I knew that the Thunder k7 used different kinds of cpu's.
    Thanks for settin me straight on the # of pins as well, heh I knew I was close!

As for the power problem of yours, hmm... perhaps try installing it in a different case? Good luck!

Post Pretty sure it's utilizing SMP

Ya, in windows2000, I go to task manager, Performance, and I have 2 cpu windows showing... the 2nd one shows different work patterns then the other. As for whoever is selling the 1.4ghz Palomino's, I guess I was mistaken... I can't find anyone who is selling it just yet. Sorry bout that.

What do you mean by different work patterns? Win2K will assign different tasks to each processor as it sees fit. The TURE question is can it split ONE task between the TWO processors. To find out you will need a program that is Multi-Thread capable. I understand QIII will do this but you need to input commands in the game console to force the game to do it. Ryan or dieU most likely can help with the command for this. Most common programs are not Multi-Thread so there tasks can't be split across the two processors.

Asus K7M Motherboard
    Athlon 600 stock HS/Fan (Northwind rev2 GFD on the way and VOS-32)
    128 megs of PC-100 Hyundai Ram
    20.3G IBM Deskstar 25GP HD/ATA66
    Voodoo3 3000 AGP w/TV out(Voodoo5 Drivers ver 4.12.01.0636)O/C to 180mhz w/Stealth V3 Fighter
    50x Artec CD-ROM
    Ricoh 4x6x24 CD-RW
    SBLive
    SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI(In house network)
    DEC PCI Ethernet Card 10MB(Cable Modem)
    All this on a 250W ps believe it or not.

Angry TYAN MURDERBOARD

I jsut recieved my second MOBO (the first one died after 2 days acting weird) today with the new 2.06 bios allready installed
    More problems than before, with the same configuration.
    Beebs, blinking coursor, freeze, black screen etc.

Tyan is closed from july 3th until July 11th.
    can you believe this?????

I am donne with TYAN i will go back again to ASUS
    and dual Intel.

Sorry about my english i am new here in the US

Paul the greek

my Configuration:
    2 Athlon MP 1.2
    TYAN K7 Thunder
    1 GB Mircron ECC Ram (4x256)
    ATI Radeon
    SB Live Platinum
    Miro DC30plus
    2 IBM Ultrastar 35 GB U160
    Plextor UW CD
    Thermalright all cooper heatsinks

How do I enable Multiprocessing Support (SMP)?

Quake 3 Arena does have support for multiprocessors (SMP). In order to get the benefits from SMP, you must be running Windows NT 4.0 and have a compatible video card and driver combination. Right now, The Detonator drivers for the TNT and GeForce generation of cards are the only ones that are working properly. To enable the support, bring down the console with the ~ key and type the command

\r_smp 1 Follow this command with

\vid_restart

Asus K7M Motherboard
    Athlon 600 stock HS/Fan (Northwind rev2 GFD on the way and VOS-32)
    128 megs of PC-100 Hyundai Ram
    20.3G IBM Deskstar 25GP HD/ATA66
    Voodoo3 3000 AGP w/TV out(Voodoo5 Drivers ver 4.12.01.0636)O/C to 180mhz w/Stealth V3 Fighter
    50x Artec CD-ROM
    Ricoh 4x6x24 CD-RW
    SBLive
    SMC EZ Card 10/100 PCI(In house network)
    DEC PCI Ethernet Card 10MB(Cable Modem)
    All this on a 250W ps believe it or not.

Cool Thanks

Cool, thanks for the info.

I am currently having some problems that have plagued me since the beginning. I think there are 2 problems which are stopping me from having a good time with my computer. One is my soundcard. I have a Soundblaster Live! 5.1 Platinum, that I have had for a bit before I built this computer. I have become aware that people have had numerous problems with AMD and SBLive!'s. On the creative labs website they say that nearly any/all problems with compatibility have been resolved, but I think they are full of it. Has anyone had any luck with running AMD/Win2000/SBLive! ? The problems I encounter are when I try to run games, FPS games to be exact. Half-life or DiabloII, I will be playing a game of Firearms (a mod for halflife) and the game will lock up, repeating about 1 seconds worth of the current noise when the game locked up indefinitely. There is no way out of this crash, I have to do a cold shutdown of my system.

However, I think the problem may lie in my Video Card. A Visiontek Geforce3, I have the latest (12.41) detonator drivers, and I can see fine and everything for windows, but when I load up the game (the fps is awesome and the display is wonderful) the game will lock up as said before within 1-5 minutes of when I started playing the game.

I don't know which problem is responsible, Soundcard or Video Card, but I'm about to try disabling the video card and using the onboard video, or I may switch in an ancient Turtle Beach Montego I ( ) sound card, and see if that resolves anything. Actually, thinking about it, I have the Geforce3 in the AGP slot, and I believe the TekRam SCSI PCI adaptor in PCI Slot 1, and I have heard that sometimes the PCI and AGP slots fight over the interrupts, so I'll try sticking the TekRam elsewhere.
    Any hints? Thanks as usual guys!

Post Alright, Problem solved sorta?

Ok, I think I fixed that game problem. I switched the Tekram to a different PCI, tried a game, it still froze. So, I shutdown, took out the Geforce3, re-enabled the onboard video, booted up, checked out halflife, now it works without crashing. Of course, the onboard video doesn't support opengl that I can figure (meaning that I have to run halflife in software mode, blech). Any suggestions?

I'm on my second board now (both shipped with BIOS 2.06) - same problems. The first board would post but then wont let me into the bios setup or when it did crash in the setup. The second one does not even post (actually I did one time and then locked up and never posted again). I've tried everything swapping cpus, removing one cpu, removing ram, unplugging all cards - nothing. I'm using Crucial Registered ECC as well. The support guys from Tyan told me that Micron (Crucial) is not officially supported and gave me the phone number of memory supplier that works closely together with Tyan (I don't remember the name). Anyway if it's not the RAM that's causing the problems then I dont know what to do anymore. I'm desperate. Ohh by the way is it normal that the small paper sticker on the bottom side of the CPU looks a bit like as if it has been burned? (and no - both Copper Orbs HSFs were operating normally when the system was powered up).

Strange, after installing my old GeForce SDR I've just noticed that the tiny fan on the graphics card is not spinning but the other fans (CPU, Case) do. Could this indicate an issue with the power supply?

Exclamation Uhhh

I don't think there should be ANY stickers on the cpu, my cpu's came with a little yellow sticker on them, and I removed them... they were just from the company telling me what speed they were (the speed was written in pen). That could Definitely be your problem.