Temp Measuring tool?

Hey guys I was browsing forums one night and heard about a tool that can be pointed at a particular part on a motherboard and within seconds give a fairly accurate temperature reading. What is the name of such device and where can it be purchased?( I tried to find that forum where I read it but I,ve been to so many)
    Give me yesterday, you can have tomorrow !!!

Re: Temp Measuring tool?

Quote Originally Posted by ZipSnipe
    Hey guys I was browsing forums one night and heard about a tool that can be pointed at a particular part on a motherboard and within seconds give a fairly accurate temperature reading. What is the name of such device and where can it be purchased?( I tried to find that forum where I read it but I,ve been to so many)
    It was very likely an infrared thermometer. Don't waste your time on the cheap ones, their aiming spot covers too wide of an area.

Yup, and as said above, get a good one!

they're cool stuff, the rayteks seem to be the best, i'd go for one of those, they're expensive though, i got a fairly generic one myself CEM DT-8810.

definately check out the raytek though, try ebay.
    Corsair 800D / Corsair TX750 PSU
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 / Win7 Pro
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.4ghz (44 x 100) + Corsair H100
    Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 x 16GB
    2 x XFX R9 280x + 3 x Asus VS24AH-P 24" IPS 1920x1200
    Samsung 840 Evo 250GB OS + 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Black

The member formerly known as SuBX3r0 HEAT

Raytek is now owned by Fluke, so one can be sure of quality. Do learn how to read and understand the specifications of IR thermometers, however, at they have a profound effect on the suitability of a particular model for use in small confined areas, such as a motherboard. Those with a single component spot size are not going to be cheap.

Actually let me rephrase my question. What I want to measure is my ram chips and the cpu chip. I want to be able to measure under a heatsink if possible. So what would be better one of those with the infra red or one with the little probes?

Actually let me rephrase my question. What I want to measure is my ram chips and the cpu chip. I want to be able to measure under a heatsink if possible. So what would be better one of those with the infra red or one with the little probes?
    For the CPU, you'll have to use an instrument that uses a probe bonded to the CPU, and even that reading will be at least 3-5 C lower than the actual CPU die. The RAM temperature isn't as difficult, obviously, but a probe instrument is still preferred. Here's a link to an Arctic Siler article that shows the problems involved in making reasonably accurate measurements.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/measurement1.htm

There is also a link in my siggy with more closely detailed methods.

http://members.cox.net/bwm.pcp/temperature

Thanx BWM, I stand educated. I loved your info on connecting the probes to the cpu.

You're welcome

So if I use the probe method , do you think I can get pretty accurate readings from one of those bay type temperature controllers or would I be better off getting like a hand held model?

So if I use the probe method , do you think I can get pretty accurate readings from one of those bay type temperature controllers or would I be better off getting like a hand held model?
    I'd get a coolermaster Aerogate II, or similar from another manufacturer. Mount the sensor as shown in my article. Add three to five degrees C to that reading and you'll be pretty close.

Thanx again, what I,m trying to do is see the differences from a stock cooler and custom coolers that I,m going to be fabricating. So really in theory I guess the actual die temp won,t be as important as the actual cooling differences. Also the first device I,m making is a ram cooler so what do you think of probe placement( I was thinking in the inside center of two ram modules with the probe being taped along the length of a ram chip).

Thanx again, what I,m trying to do is see the differences from a stock cooler and custom coolers that I,m going to be fabricating. So really in theory I guess the actual die temp won,t be as important as the actual cooling differences.
    That is true. The sensor should be in good, firm thermal contact with the side edge of the spreader.

Also the first device I,m making is a ram cooler so what do you think of probe placement( I was thinking in the inside center of two ram modules with the probe being taped along the length of a ram chip).
    That should work just fine. Memory sticks don't really dissipate any truely significant amount of heat, however.

I know they just look kool and I,m hoping to develop a kool looking ram cooler that will both look and perform cool :-) Thanx again UR DA MAN

You're welcome.