No Sound - Where to Begin

Ok just did a fresh install of Debian Linux and I now have no sound in KDE 3.5. Someone suggested I select the following:

Code:
    apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils alsa-oss libesd-alsa0
    I did and don't know what is suppose to happen but I still don't see anything that will allow me to configure my sound on Debian "Etch" AMD64.

Any suggestions on what to do or where to check?
    ./

Re: No Sound - Where to Begin

I'd run alsaconf and/or check your mixer levels.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Re: No Sound - Where to Begin

[1] The best way to go is to remove all those packages you just installed, and instead compile ALSA support directly into your kernel. In "make menuconfig," look in the "Device Driver --> Sound" section, and say "Y" to the various ALSA components, "Y" to your sound card's specific driver, and "N" to OSS (OSS support is provided via the ALSA emulation component).

Then, after running this new kernel, install alsa-utils and run alsamixer to set your volume levels.

[2] If you don't want to compile a new kernel, see if you can get it working with what you already have installed. Try:

Code:
    aplay -l
    Which should show you the valid ALSA devices, if any. If you don't see anything, run alsaconf and try to configure your devices. Once you have a working device, run alsamixer.

You might also want to look at this ALSA guide. It's a Gentoo guide, but most of it will apply to any distro.