Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Re: Words as ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    As Jimz said, this is an option we have looked at, and will continue to look at. The logisitics of setting up a pay-for-service here though are pretty overwhelming to me but I think we might take another look at this year.
    Of that I have no doubt!

But GOOD material is hard to find, so, count me in when the time comes.
    Dying is Easy, Comedy is Hard

By far the most distracting and annoying ad system I've ever seen. Thank God there's an off switch!

For income, you might want to consider an annual paid subscription (e.g. $10-15) that would turn off ads.
    Last edited by Chiles4; 02-22-2006 at 03:25 PM.

I, too, would be willing to contribute money to keep this invaluable site going. $25-$30 a year seems a reasonable amount, but would that help at all, Ryan? That comes out to about 7-12 cents a day. I dunno; that doesn't seem enough, does it? I imagine none of us could pay what this site is actually worth to us. Sigh....

Holly

Just make it feature for non members only. It will be an added insentive for guest to join the forumes just to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BullDog
    Just make it feature for non members only. It will be an added insentive for guest to join the forumes just to get rid of it.
    its kind of setup like that already. registered members have the option to disable via the user control panel...
    hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by The Wise One
    its kind of setup like that already. registered members have the option to disable via the user control panel...
    You guys aren't worried that first-time users will be turned off by it and not want to have anything to do with the site/forums? I'm sure you realize it will have that effect on a small amount of people, at least, right? I know, for me at least, those ads make for significantly more negative first impressions.

Cool Re: Words as ads

Quote Originally Posted by myv65
    Saw it. Clicked on "What's this". Read about it. Turned it off. No thanks.

I find em annoying and not helpful; if I want info on any products, I 'll look em up on the web or in local printed and other advertisements.

No thanks, for me too !

EDIT: (addition) there 's enough advertisments already; you see it everywhere, even at the side and top of these pages ! I don't need it on the Forums I use to talk to people, friends and team-members (Folding) ! ! !

Last edited by noorman; 03-08-2006 at 07:59 AM.

Fold with what you have, Every Work Unit will make a difference.

Re: Words as ads (can be turned off via user cp)

I don't have them turned off, but I rarely see them as I don't move the cursor about much. I did not like them at first, but they don't bother me anymore, even though they are activated.
    There are advantages to being retarded...and I'm taking advantage of all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherDude
    You guys aren't worried that first-time users will be turned off by it and not want to have anything to do with the site/forums? I'm sure you realize it will have that effect on a small amount of people, at least, right? I know, for me at least, those ads make for significantly more negative first impressions.
    sorry for the late rply. comp troubles and i missed this email notem.

we arent really concerned about the loss of new members because of this. the way the ads are setup now (only 3 text ads per page) they are pretty un-intrusive.
    hmm...

I find the ads annoying but considering the website is free who can complain? What I have been curious about is how much does it cost to run the site per month and if the ads keep it free then I can live with it.

thanks to all who provided us with feedback and suggestions.

we decided not to continue using the ads in the forums. this was for several reasons. as of now the text ads have been removed from all styles.
    hmm...