Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Securing my new router?

I've never had anyone complain of this before. If you're connecting and then disabling SSID, I'd be at a loss to explain your apparent misfortune.

Edit: I see you edited your message while I was composing mine. Perhaps it's specific to either that model or to Dlink in general.

It's not specific to that model and I'm thinking it's not specific to D-Link, but my memory is fading from the last time before the last two instances I have experienced so I'm not about to say out-and-out that it's not a D-Link specific issue. After I made that post I remembered that the second last time was with the same type of router. If I've experienced it, surely others have... Did a quick Google and found this (second question):

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3569711

No connection problems for me with WEP enabled on my last two D-Link routers, a DI-614+ and now a DI-624.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir
    It's not specific to that model and I'm thinking it's not specific to D-Link, but my memory is fading from the last time before the last two instances I have experienced so I'm not about to say out-and-out that it's not a D-Link specific issue. After I made that post I remembered that the second last time was with the same type of router. If I've experienced it, surely others have... Did a quick Google and found this (second question):

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...le.php/3569711
    From that reference, it looks more like either a) an old hardware problem, or b) possibly the config utility used. Whenever possible, I avoid the use of the utilities that came with the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie
    From that reference, it looks more like either a) an old hardware problem, or b) possibly the config utility used. Whenever possible, I avoid the use of the utilities that came with the card.
    If you use a different utility don't you lose the special 'turbo' and other features that a matched wireless card and router give you? Like with my D-Link DI-624 router and DWL-G650 notebook card I get the 108 mbps 'dynamic turbo' mode and extended range features. Would you drop to a regular 54 mbps standard G connection if you used different client software?

I've been wondering about this ever since I had a problem with the above hardware connecting to my work over VPN. I discovered the D-Link wireless client utility was incompatible with my VPN connection so I exit it whenever I'm going to connect over VPN. When I asked D-Link about this they actually suggested I try a freeware wireless utility (can't remember the name right now). But having spent extra $$$ to get the extra features of the 108 Mbps Turbo G router I'd like to actually use them.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

No idea. I use standard .g hardware. I would think that as long as both were from the same vendor, they would agree on the highest common rate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Willie
    As a uniform procedure so that future techies can get around our systems more easily, we use the MS client for wireless networking. Personally I don't like it as much as some of the thrid party clients out there, but it still does the job adequately - provided that you have XP Service Pack 2. Normally I don't have time to hang about and fiddle around trying to fix it. Not a major issue, so it's not really worth the customer's $$$ for us to bugger around with it - hence my vague information on the topic. If I experience it in my own time, I will definitely make a point of trying to isolate a set of conditions that may trigger this problem.

Just FYI, this is the free wireless utility that D-Link recommended I try:
    http://www.boingo.com/download.html

I haven't tried it yet, not sure I will since I have a reasonable workaround for my VPN problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir
    As a uniform procedure so that future techies can get around our systems more easily, we use the MS client for wireless networking. Personally I don't like it as much as some of the thrid party clients out there, but it still does the job adequately - provided that you have XP Service Pack 2. Normally I don't have time to hang about and fiddle around trying to fix it. Not a major issue, so it's not really worth the customer's $$$ for us to bugger around with it - hence my vague information on the topic. If I experience it in my own time, I will definitely make a point of trying to isolate a set of conditions that may trigger this problem.
    As do I, whenever the machine has XP SP2. Personally, I like it. All I really expect is a connection with a minimal amount of hassle - for both me and the customer.