Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

best AGP8X for around or under 200$?

Title says it all. Looking to upgrade but still going to stay with the AGP Platform. Right now im using a Leadtek 5700 Ultra 8xAGP. Whats best for around or under 200$?

Edit: can be ATI or Nvidia

Re: best AGP8X for around or under 200$?

Maybe this one, it has some really shining reviews

BIOSTAR TForce4U Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813138270

Processor:
    AMD Athlon 64 x2 (dual core), Athlon 64 FX, Athlon 64 and Sempron processors
    Chipset:
    NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra
    Memory:
    4 x 184-pin DDR400 memory modules
    Maximum 4GB system memory
    Dual-channel memory architecture
    Slots:
    1 x PCI Express 16x
    2 x PCI Express 1x
    3 x PCI
    1 x XGP (See additional info below)

your Leadtek 5700 is a certified card for operation in the XGP slot at full 8X

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails...odel=tforce4+u

WinFast Geforce 4 Ti 4400 4X
    WinFast FX 5200 8X
    WinFast FX 5600 8X
    WinFast FX 5700 8X
    WinFast FX 5950 Ultra 8X
    might me a viable upgrade path for ya

Hmmm, that still didnt quite awnser my question lol. Looking to go with new video card...not new mobo. so new mobo has xgp or whatever that is...i'd still be using same graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by Anti-Static-Man
    Hmmm, that still didnt quite awnser my question lol. Looking to go with new video card...not new mobo. so new mobo has xgp or whatever that is...i'd still be using same graphics card
    OOPS

I read it wrong, I thought you were upgrading and wanted to KEEP your 5700.

for under $200 i would say a X800GTO or if you can squeeze about $20 more a 6800gs

which manufacturer is getting good reviews for the 6800. Doesnt the ATI have move pixel pipes?

eVGA has been rocking recently,

and the lifetime warranty can't hurt if you trade down your old parts to other machines. esp since ATI cut their warranties to 1 year

they usually don't even fuss on RMA about aftermarket cooling solutions, provided the card did not fail due to insufficient cooling of course

Oh and yes I think the ATI does have more pixel pipelines, I think 16 vs 12?

the 6800GS appears to be the price/performance leader in this price range

Quote Originally Posted by 3dfxrain
    the 6800GS appears to be the price/performance leader in this price range
    In Europe at least the Palit X800XL AGP can be found for around 185-200 euros, so I'd imagine it would be in that price range in the US? The X800GTO cards also fit the price range.

ATI Radeon X850 Pro 256MB AGP 8X VIVO

Is that good? I am looking for a upgrade too, and need AGP. My MB supports 8X. Just lately I noticed little lines flashing on my monitor, so I am guessing my Ti4200 (128MB) is going out. Reason I looked into this card because it has VIVO. I don't really need VIVO, but would like it. I have Pinnacle PCI, but want to use the VIVO for something else.

BTW, I was trying to see if there's a "list of order" of video cards that came out or something like "this card is better than this" levels. At first, I was looking at X750, but reviews condemn those over x850.

I am not a gamer, but just want a good "high-end" card. One day, I think I will end up with a new LCD monitor (and would have 8mm, etc).

Be forwarned that I used to be anti-ATi bias. I used to have it one time long time ago and you know... Now even when I read reviews, some brings it back up for newer ATi cards too?

Chuck

theres a X850XT that I have my eye on, its actually 100 dollars less in NZ than a 7800GS so I think it will be my first choice, as an upgrade for the 6800NU besides, it has more pipes, it will be my first PCI Express card, im certain ill make the move soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by CNT
    ATI Radeon X850 Pro 256MB AGP 8X VIVO

Is that good? I am looking for a upgrade too, and need AGP. My MB supports 8X. Just lately I noticed little lines flashing on my monitor, so I am guessing my Ti4200 (128MB) is going out. Reason I looked into this card because it has VIVO. I don't really need VIVO, but would like it. I have Pinnacle PCI, but want to use the VIVO for something else.

BTW, I was trying to see if there's a "list of order" of video cards that came out or something like "this card is better than this" levels. At first, I was looking at X750, but reviews condemn those over x850.

I am not a gamer, but just want a good "high-end" card. One day, I think I will end up with a new LCD monitor (and would have 8mm, etc).

Be forwarned that I used to be anti-ATi bias. I used to have it one time long time ago and you know... Now even when I read reviews, some brings it back up for newer ATi cards too?

Chuck
    I have a ATi built X850 pro vivo, most if not all of them can be unlocked to get 16 pipes. Mine is running 16 pipes @ 567/567 rock solid and cool with a Silencer, I have pushed it as far as 580/620 but my case was getting a little warm (low RPM fans in a near silent system).
    Quote Originally Posted by JC Denton
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Page
    I will burn like the brightest star...
    You're gonna burn all right.

Now I am looking at MSI NX6600-VTD256 ($99 at ebay). Like I said in few post before, is there a "list of order" (old to new, avg to powerful, etc)?? Reason I am asking for it is so I can know where to start, like 7800 would be too expensive, so I would look something "below" that model.

All I know is to look for (hardware) DirectX v9 and OpenGL v1.5, which would be the latest, correct?

I notice that a large number of those cards require extra power from PSU and need two slot space thickness. Would I have to give up slot #1 for that? Maybe I should look for older nvidia video card (one slot, AGP, DX9, etc). Anyone help me with that?

Keep in mind that I might buy LCD, so I think a DVI would matter, wouldn't it? If there was a way to force my CRT to die without obvious damage (managet, whatever), that would give me reason to buy next monitor (which in turn my wife would prefer LCD). My CRT is noticeable degraded, but my wife says it's fine (I am the geek one, not her, lol).

My PC is great. So, why replace that. It's just the WinXP that groofs up.

Chuck
    call waiting was referred to a line outside of a phone booth
    flat screen was something put in window to keep inserts out
    airbag was someone who talked too much
    spam was found only in the kitchen
    cell phone was what used to make the one call from jail
    pierced ears was from going to loud concerts
    high-speed access was an on-ramp to the freeway

lol it can goof up a heck of a lot

the 6600 GT is god but you are better off with a used 6800 or x800/x850 the vivo x800 pro that i got used for @160 came with an Arctic Silencer 5 and unlocked to 16 pipes with a bios flash. It blows my old XFX6600 away.
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

X850XT if you can mate, its a really solid performer