Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Re: Time to rethink the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    One question - how you planning on getting all the heat out of the stack? Is it going to be fully enclosed, if so all the heat is going to rise to the top and systems at the top will drastically overheat.

My reasoning for an open stack system was to reduce system noise. I figured why spend money on noisey case fans to remove heat from the case when you can just do away with the case all together - your effective system temperature becomes room temperature. Most air cooled CPUs with run at a fixed level above ambient temp, so if you can reduce ambient system temp, you also reduce the CPU temps. My systems all now only have a quiet PSU and near silent HSFs (Panaflo's) - I even replaced all northbridge and GPU fans to eliminate noise.

What could work really well is some form of heatpipe arrangement using the case as a massive passive heatsink to draw heat away from the CPUs - I've seen it done before on some high-end cases.

Ned
    Well, to begin with I'm planning to have all the sides removable. That's my short term fix. But I was planning on adding fans to the sides as needed. But the idea of heat piping is intriguing. Expecially considering that aluminum is a great heat transmitter, and stainless steel is a real bad one. Hmmm, the possibilities.

Heres old pic of part of my farm. Cables are routed better now. Holds 8 puters now.

Quote Originally Posted by myv65
    Heh, heh. The engineer in me was about to make a safety comment,
    Yeppers, I can see the old stability traingle coming into play on this one....

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

nice setup harley!

Quote Originally Posted by harley2paws
    Heres old pic of part of my farm. Cables are routed better now. Holds 8 puters now.
    Should have left the cables , I like cables.....

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

Quote Originally Posted by An Ugly Girl
    Should have left the cables , I like cables.....
    cables, whips, and chains, right!

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier
    Well, to begin with I'm planning to have all the sides removable. That's my short term fix. But I was planning on adding fans to the sides as needed. But the idea of heat piping is intriguing. Expecially considering that aluminum is a great heat transmitter, and stainless steel is a real bad one. Hmmm, the possibilities.
    Nice SP, Have You thought abought adding some weight to the bottom of the case that You've built? It's either that or strap It to the wall as If You live in earthquake country like a tall bookshelf.

The only earthquakes we have around here are caused by the fork trucks driving by the building. But thankfully I live far away from all that.

But actually, I was sorta thinking about weighing down the base a bit. We'll have to see how things go when I get some boards in her.

Quote Originally Posted by thelmores
    cables, whips, and chains, right!
    Still having those dreams ...arent you...

And I was going to make a comment on all the nice studs you've used but I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea!

But it looks great! Something to freak out the friends with when they come over.

Quote Originally Posted by An Ugly Girl
    Still having those dreams ...arent you...
    I have the same dreams
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier
    But it looks great! Something to freak out the friends with when they come over.
    Maybe thats why it has wheels...just hide it in the closet and shut the door quick!

lol, I wouldn't hide that. You got to like the looks on people's faces when they see a bunch of hardware all hooked up in some bizar fashion and actually working. Heck, you got to see some of the looks I get now even without any hardware!

My fav responces include: and and

I get alot of puzzled looks. It usially starts out with a wow and then turns into a why? I usially respond by explaining that I'm running BOINC and I can use that to find all the little green men that have constantly been talking to me since I had that filling in my one moller. And if they haven't ran from the room or dialed 911, I would then explain that I mainly dontate CPU power for genetic research and such.

Hey Harley, how many boards do you have? At first I thought only 4 but if I'm right I actually see 7! Is that right?

That pic was took while building..has total of 8 boards..almost all oc'd voltage moded refurbised nf7's with mobiles or unlocked t'breds. Power supplys are stacked with drives velcroed to sides. Been running solid now for quite awhile. Draws under 10 amps and i use big window fan on floor to keep it cool. 8 port kvm and hub...power strip mounted under monitor tray so i need only 1 outlet.
    Other thoughts i've had was running 2 boards off 1 power suppy and usb 1 gig flash drives.
    Last edited by harley2paws; 03-07-2006 at 11:50 PM.