Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Re: Time to rethink the farm.

Gee, and I thought I was bad for coming up with my own case just to hold all my computers...But no, you just have to one up me by building an intire building just for your computers!

And I thought I was the crazy one!

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier
    Gee, and I thought I was bad for coming up with my own case just to hold all my computers...But no, you just have to one up me by building an intire building just for your computers!

Yeah and before We know It, It'll turn into a lost episode of "This Olde House".

Well, I knew you were "stumped" awhile back, Ned but I thought you'd gotten past....A little C-4 strategically placed can do wonders, ya know.....remove stump and dig foundation! (just a thought!)
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Back on topic, I'm loving this thread Spanky. When are we gonna get to see some more piccies and get an update?

Ned

Hear, hear!!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

i dont know, Ned and c4 sounds pretty interesting too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Slider
    Back on topic, I'm loving this thread Spanky. When are we gonna get to see some more piccies and get an update?

Ned
    Well, my next step is getting some rails for this thing. I currently don't have anything I can use to make them at work since everything there is for metal working only (besides the wood would soak in all the oils from the machines and that wouldn't look very nice). So I'm now at pretty much a stand still. I've got someone who should be working on a pair for me this weekend, but I'll have to verify it with him tomorrow.

I'll have some time tomorrow evening to finish up the polishing of the aluminum. Then I'll try to clean it a bit prior to loading the frame into the back seat of my car (if it'll fit ). I'd pop down the back seats of my car and put it in from the back but my boom box would sorta make that difficult!

If I do get it to fit in the car, I'll probably end up taking it with me to my dad's place this weekend. Hopefully he'll have some scrap wood laying around that I could use for this. If so, then I may be able to get something working incase my buddy doesn't come through for me. First rule of being a Frog Ninja is to always have a backup plan.

In the mean time, I've been working on a power distrabution system. I don't know if I said this before or not, but I'm looking at trying to set up a little system so I can have the main computer turn all the other computers on at the proper time. If I turn the slave computers all on too early, they will not boot properly as the master computer would not be ready to hand out the OSes (the slaves will all net boot).

So what I'm planning on doing is to make simple electonic circuit using a few relays, transisters, and diodes that'll control power outlets. This circuit will interface with the main computer's parallel port. I'll then have to write a little program that'll turn each computer in order.

I made a simplified version of this circuit a few years ago (back when you actually could buy electronic components from Radio Shack ),

Some how I don't think Tieka approves of my electrical handy work.

I made this older board control only three outlets using a simplier, circuit. Starting on the far left you'll see the power cable that I used to power the outlets. Next to that you'll see the brown curcuit board with the three blue 5VDC relays. That older, simplier curcuit design doesn't have the same protection as my newer board will. Right underneath Tieka, you'll see the outlets that I controlled with the relays. Just down and to the right of that, you'll see the molex conectors that I used to power the curcuit with. I used the black and red lines to aquire the 5VDC I needed for the relays. And of course, in the bottom right is the d-sub connector I used to plug into the parallel port. Back when I did this, I didn't have any multi-conductor cable so I had to use a bunch of wires and tape them up.

Now I know someone is going to say this, "Yikes! There's 120VAC running through that and you don't have this in a box!" Yes you're right. And I did have this better set up better even though I only used this for a couple of hours before it went into my garage for storage the past 5+ years. I took it apart just for the picture.

My problem now is that Radio Shack (which is now called The Source in Canada) no longer carries all the electronic components they once did. So I've had to do some subsitutions. I'm now using 12VDC relays, and I haven't been able to find the proper diodes yet. But I think I may have some left over from the old build. I'll have to go digging.

I have found some sample C programs that will allow me to control the parallel port though. So I'll be able to work on that part at least.

As I go on, I'll keep ya all informed.

Well, my next step is getting some rails for this thing. I currently don't have anything I can use to make them at work since everything there is for metal working only (besides the wood would soak in all the oils from the machines and that wouldn't look very nice). So I'm now at pretty much a stand still. I've got someone who should be working on a pair for me this weekend, but I'll have to verify it with him tomorrow.

I'll have some time tomorrow evening to finish up the polishing of the aluminum. Then I'll try to clean it a bit prior to loading the frame into the back seat of my car (if it'll fit ). I'd pop down the back seats of my car and put it in from the back but my boom box would sorta make that difficult!

If I do get it to fit in the car, I'll probably end up taking it with me to my dad's place this weekend. Hopefully he'll have some scrap wood laying around that I could use for this. If so, then I may be able to get something working incase my buddy doesn't come through for me. First rule of being a Frog Ninja is to always have a backup plan.

In the mean time, I've been working on a power distrabution system. I don't know if I said this before or not, but I'm looking at trying to set up a little system so I can have the main computer turn all the other computers on at the proper time. If I turn the slave computers all on too early, they will not boot properly as the master computer would not be ready to hand out the OSes (the slaves will all net boot).

So what I'm planning on doing is to make simple electonic circuit using a few relays, transisters, and diodes that'll control power outlets. This circuit will interface with the main computer's parallel port. I'll then have to write a little program that'll turn each computer in order.

I made a simplified version of this circuit a few years ago (back when you actually could buy electronic components from Radio Shack ),

Some how I don't think Tieka approves of my electrical handy work.

I made this older board control only three outlets using a simplier, circuit. Starting on the far left you'll see the power cable that I used to power the outlets. Next to that you'll see the brown curcuit board with the three blue 5VDC relays. That older, simplier curcuit design doesn't have the same protection as my newer board will. Right underneath Tieka, you'll see the outlets that I controlled with the relays. Just down and to the right of that, you'll see the molex conectors that I used to power the curcuit with. I used the black and red lines to aquire the 5VDC I needed for the relays. And of course, in the bottom right is the d-sub connector I used to plug into the parallel port. Back when I did this, I didn't have any multi-conductor cable so I had to use a bunch of wires and tape them up.

Now I know someone is going to say this, "Yikes! There's 120VAC running through that and you don't have this in a box!" Yes you're right. And I did have this better set up better even though I only used this for a couple of hours before it went into my garage for storage the past 5+ years. I took it apart just for the picture.

My problem now is that Radio Shack (which is now called The Source in Canada) no longer carries all the electronic components they once did. So I've had to do some subsitutions. I'm now using 12VDC relays, and I haven't been able to find the proper diodes yet. But I think I may have some left over from the old build. I'll have to go digging.

I have found some sample C programs that will allow me to control the parallel port though. So I'll be able to work on that part at least.

As I go on, I'll keep ya all informed.

Nice Cat!

Somehow I thought you'd like that!

She's my special girl.

Somehow I thought you'd like that!

She's my special girl.
    Yeah well there is nothing nicer than having someone greet You when You come home from somewhere and a Cat works for Me.

Lol, you should see me trying to type some times. She has turned into quite the suck for sleeping on dad's lap! I'm lovin' ever minuit of it.

Lol, you should see me trying to type some times. She has turned into quite the suck for sleeping on dad's lap! I'm lovin' ever minuit of it.
    Mine is almost as bad, When It gets cold She either retreats to the bedroom and lays on the bed on the left side as You'd look at It at the foot of the bed or She wants on My lap, But I don't mind and she is easy to take care of.

In any case Your farm will be bigger than mine, As 5 or 6 PCs may be enough for Me.

Hey SP, i have a place locally that probally has all the parts that you might be looking for. I can always pick up for you and ship, or drop off, as you are only about 1 1/2 hours away. Link:

http://www.counterparts.ca/

Lookie here, do i see a relay that is 5VDC.

http://www.counterparts.ca/pdf/mode/...krs_relays.pdf

Thanks, but I'm actually planning on stopping in at Kitchener on Saterday. KW Surplus and Orion Electronics. I may pop in there just to see what they have. But the 12V ones will work just fine. It's just they will up the anti if something goes wrong. With the 5V ones, there's less of a chance I'd pop the parallel port on the motherboard if things short out. But that's why I'm going to add the extra diodes. They should add extra protection bringing the risk back down to something more resonable.

PS, I miss Forest City Surplus. You remember that one? They've been gone for some time now. But I used to go there back when I was in highschool. Just tonns of odds and ends!