Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: Time to rethink the farm.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering where I'm getting the curcuit diagrams from, here's the link: http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/pa...l#relaycontrol

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier
    Thanks, but I'm actually planning on stopping in at Kitchener on Saterday. KW Surplus and Orion Electronics. I may pop in there just to see what they have. But the 12V ones will work just fine. It's just they will up the anti if something goes wrong. With the 5V ones, there's less of a chance I'd pop the parallel port on the motherboard if things short out. But that's why I'm going to add the extra diodes. They should add extra protection bringing the risk back down to something more resonable.

PS, I miss Forest City Surplus. You remember that one? They've been gone for some time now. But I used to go there back when I was in highschool. Just tonns of odds and ends!
    Forest City Surplus is still around, SP.

http://www.fcsurplus.ca/index_2.htm

NO WAY!!!!

My buddy said they were gone a long time ago! I may just have to make a trip out there again some time soon.

Yah, they still have the Gibraltar Trade Centre there on the weekends still also.

Since Monday I've been driving around with all the computer equipment in the back seat of my car. I've had everything in there so I can take it over to my buddy's place and make up the wooden rails that will support the motherboards. Well, I just got back from his place. And we've got them all cut now.

(yes, Teika has to check out everything I do! )

All they need now is to be drilled and some dowel pins placed in them, 'n they'll be good go. I'll be able to do all the drilling tomorrow.

So, I guess this means I'm going to have to figure out what I want as far as hardware goes. Once I get these rails in, I should be ready for the real stuff.

Since Monday I've been driving around with all the computer equipment in the back seat of my car. I've had everything in there so I can take it over to my buddy's place and make up the wooden rails that will support the motherboards. Well, I just got back from his place. And we've got them all cut now.

(yes, Teika has to check out everything I do! )

All they need now is to be drilled and some dowel pins placed in them, 'n they'll be good go. I'll be able to do all the drilling tomorrow.

So, I guess this means I'm going to have to figure out what I want as far as hardware goes. Once I get these rails in, I should be ready for the real stuff.

She's thinkin, Yeah parts for My new scratching post at last!

Seriously that's a good inspector You've got there.

Mine will be inspecting My stuff only after We've moved(Can't forget Angel My Cat[w/attitude]).
    Last edited by JokerCPoC; 03-16-2006 at 11:34 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Well, I stayed late at work yesterday so I could work on case. It's now almost done! I now have all the rails mounted and only need to do a little adjusting here 'n there, build a clamping system for each motherboard (but I need the boards first), and some more pollishing.

But I did take it home for the first time last night. My roomate was VERY impressed! Yes, he's another BOINCer with a small farm of his own (yet for some reason he refuses to join any team ).

Today I made a the trip to KW-Surplus and Orion Electronics in Kitchener. So I now have all the electronics I need. That is good.

So I am now aiming to buy actual computer hardware next weekend.

Does anyone know of any good motherboards that have on-board video, and 2 on-board lan cards? I would prefer it to be ATX but I could make due with MATX form factor. My goal is not require any expansion cards. Hence why I need everything on-board. I know there used to be some motherboards with dual on-board lan cards. I just don't recall ever seeing them with on-board video as well.

Tyan makes one that's not too expensive:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813151160
    That's all I can find right now....
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

It really slows the system bandwith down if it has on board video...is it going to crunch? what cpu?

Bump for the weekend update

I haven't done much lately....BUT, tomorrow will be a BIG day!

JCB and I are going shoping!

We'll be hitting a few stores in Toronto and I'm sure we'll come up with something decent. I figure I won't need a dual on board network card any more as I probably could get away with moving the RJ45 port on a card with a bit of soldering. Then I'll be all set.

I have been working on soldering up that controller card to turn on all the slave systems. But I haven't got too far on that lately. Something about working on a computer for a friend of mine, and OT.

Oh well. Monday I should have a big update for you all!

Can't wait Spanky - this is my favourite thread in a long time

I'm tempted to commision you to knock me up one of those cases in brushed aluminium - gorgeous

Shopping is good!!!!
    Main Rig: EVGA 141-BL-E769-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 CLASSIFIED/WATERCOOLED ED. cooled by the Monster Water Cooling Setup
    HTPC One BIG Case Asus 8 CORE Monster
    ASUS: 5 * BIOSTAR: 1 * CHAINTECH: 1 * EVGA: 3 * GIGABYTE: 5 * SUPER MICRO: 1 *TYAN: 2
    180+ GHZ total power for PC Perspective Killer Frogs Rosetta @ Home Team as The Uncle B's!!

Spoiler!

I'm the Uncle your Aunt won't talk about. Go ahead and pull my finger!

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBob

Shopping is good!!!!
    Sure is, Nothin quite like It.

I haven't done much lately....BUT, tomorrow will be a BIG day!

JCB and I are going shoping!

We'll be hitting a few stores in Toronto and I'm sure we'll come up with something decent. I figure I won't need a dual on board network card any more as I probably could get away with moving the RJ45 port on a card with a bit of soldering. Then I'll be all set.

I have been working on soldering up that controller card to turn on all the slave systems. But I haven't got too far on that lately. Something about working on a computer for a friend of mine, and OT.

Oh well. Monday I should have a big update for you all!
    Come early cuz I'll be getting thirsty around 1pm ish
    Q6600 @ 3.0Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    4GB Corsair PC6400
    ATI X1650 Pro