myrtle beach,south carolina, U. S. of A.!

FAA manages air traffic with Linux

http://www.fcw.com/article94234-05-01-06

The Federal Aviation Administration has saved $15 million by migrating computers that manage air traffic flow to Linux, according to an announcement issued last week. The upgrade is part of a broader service-oriented architecture initiative that will replace proprietary traffic management systems with applications using Java, Web services, open-source software and Oracle products.
    penguin strikes again!

Re: FAA manages air traffic with Linux

This just confirms Shelly the Republican's conspiracy theories!

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Linux is stealing huge chuncks of the traditional Unix server market, I guess partly due to the flexability in (PC) compatible hardware. I've noticed SGI have been quick to jump on the bandwagon with SGI Linux in favour over IRIX on their Altix supercomputers (probably because of its clustering multiprocessor support). Anyone know if others have followed suit? Wonder if we'll eventually see SUN Linux instead of Solaris

Quote Originally Posted by Provicemo
    This just confirms Shelly the Republican's conspiracy theories!

According to her, it would be another Y2k disaster, it would start with planes falling from the sky, then when everything else goes Linux, the bank machines would eat all of your money, trains would all crash and....wait, Y2k didn't happen either!

I would think Sun moving to Linux would be amazing but I don't see that happening anytime soon...
    ./