Thread: RHEL4 Test Box?

RHEL4 Test Box?

I am wanting to set up a RHEL test box since all our (work) servers are RHEL4. The only problem is I don't want to waste a license on my test box that I will end up breaking. I don't want support on this test box but I do want to be able to update this with something like YUM. Can you guys please tell me what the best thing to do would be? Should I just install CentOS4 and patch that or is there something else you guys can recommend?
    ./

Re: RHEL4 Test Box?

From what I've seen, CentOS4 would be your best bet. Other then the RedHat logos, I hear it's 100% identical. It's just some of the patches/updates take an extra day to come out.

Shows how little I know I thought Fedora was the closest thing to RH

Fadora is basically the 'proving grounds' for the next version of RHEL. So Fadora will have plenty of new technologies that are not currently available in RHEL. Also, Fadora is geared more for 'home' use verses server/workstation use.

Now I get it, thanks!

Thanks - CentOS is downloading...very slow....
    ./

Quote Originally Posted by Spankin Partier
    From what I've seen, CentOS4 would be your best bet. Other then the RedHat logos, I hear it's 100% identical. It's just some of the patches/updates take an extra day to come out.
    Agreed

I'm using CentOS 4 on all my boxes atm plus I have it on our server at work, and it's supposed to be binary compatible with RHEL4 (although I don't have any genuine RHEL installs to compare against). Updates are provided by CentOS based on recompiled versions of released RHEL SRPM updates, and you can configure YUM, although personally I just use the up2date tool (which actually works in CentOS unlike any version of RH Linux or Fedora I ever tried!).

Security updates are usually 24-48 hours behind RHEL - the time it takes the CentOS project to recompile RHs SRPMs and push them to the mirrors.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with CentOS

Ned

Were it not for JUST finishing redoing my Linux install, I would probably consider going CentOS, now that I have been enlightened.

Although this "strange consumption of HDD space", is causing me concern to "redo" it again, at which time, I will probably d/l and install the aforementioned distro.

^
    Reinstall...
    ./